Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Flying 1000' Below Sea Level

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,084

    Flying 1000' Below Sea Level

    "...The Gulfstream G150 is a delight to fly...Sure, you can land at Calipatria near Death Valley in California and be 129 feet below sea level...In Israel, the Dead Sea is more than 1,300 feet below sea level...I nosed over and the...altimeter counted down to zero and the letters "NEG" appeared and the numbers started to increase..." Flying December 2005
    Last edited by sarongsong; 2005-Nov-12 at 01:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,974
    That sounds like a real thrill. Love that stuff. Your post made me think, why do they make the last few hundred feet on a handheld altimeter red. If you get a chance to see the needle get that low, and you haven't already deployed, it's too late. The last 400 hundred feet should have some fime print like: ENJOY THE GROUND RUSH - IT'S YOUR LAST. Or better yet, YOU'VE GOT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE WRONG.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    "...The Gulfstream G150 is a delight to fly...Sure, you can land at Calipatria near Death Valley in California and be 129 feet below sea level...In Israel, the Dead Sea is more than 1,300 feet below sea level...I nosed over and the...altimeter counted down to zero and the letters "NEG" appeared and the numbers started to increase..." Flying December 2005
    Got the URL wrong.

    http://www.gulfstream.com/g150/

    However, the G150 is the airplane I've been working on since June.

    Tom

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,248
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    That sounds like a real thrill. Love that stuff. Your post made me think, why do they make the last few hundred feet on a handheld altimeter red. If you get a chance to see the needle get that low, and you haven't already deployed, it's too late. The last 400 hundred feet should have some fime print like: ENJOY THE GROUND RUSH - IT'S YOUR LAST. Or better yet, YOU'VE GOT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE WRONG.
    Or how about, "DEPLOY CHUTE!"

    I dunno - too obvious???

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,084
    Thanks, tmosher---made the correction---what a job you've got!
    It's one of the best written reviews I've read; editor-in-chief, J. Mac McClellan, goes on "...the strangely deep blue-green water of the Dead Sea appeared...". I'd never thought about the color before, just assumed it was 'dead-looking', maybe grey. California's inland Salton Sea is extremely unattractive---a weird other-worldly looking shade of yellowish green, accompanied with just about the worst stench imaginable.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    Thanks, tmosher---made the correction---what a job you've got!
    It's one of the best written reviews I've read; editor-in-chief, J. Mac McClellan, goes on "...the strangely deep blue-green water of the Dead Sea appeared...". I'd never thought about the color before, just assumed it was 'dead-looking', maybe grey. California's inland Salton Sea is extremely unattractive---a weird other-worldly looking shade of yellowish green, accompanied with just about the worst stench imaginable.
    Not that great a job - I've been writing the maintenance procedures for the airplane. We haven't even seen one yet in Savannah and the first one is going to Gulfstream in Dallas for it's interior.

    I am, however, surrounded by every Gulfstream jet from the II to the 550.

    There are, however, a couple new models in the works. I haven't heard what they'll be but it ought to be interesting.

    Tom

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,056
    I can see where your job would be fun. For somebody else. I'm already too close to the edge for it.

    Re the hand-held a-meter...under 400 feet: "Say hello to St Peter" or "Your insurance won't cover the dent you're gonna make"

    --------

    HALO... O... drat, what did 'O' stand for again?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,527
    Check air in tires

    Check oil at every fill-up

    Check for marsupials in cargo bin

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzp
    Check air in tires

    Check oil at every fill-up

    Check for marsupials in cargo bin
    Every fill up? I check the oil during every preflight. Better that than having the engine shell at 5,000 ft over Georgia (there are places where it would be impossible to land without flipping over).

    Tom
    PPL-ASEL

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    9,084
    While working in post-production for a Hawaiian printing company on Oahu, the boss would occasionally invite me along to deliver product to Maui and Kaui in his Cessna. Don't recall his checking the tires (I'm sure he did), but distinctly remember his making a deservedly big deal of checking the oil each and every time. One day, at take-off, he announced I (with ZERO flight experience) would be doing the honors, and I got to lift off and fly all the way to Maui---thrill of a lifetime!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong
    While working in post-production for a Hawaiian printing company on Oahu, the boss would occasionally invite me along to deliver product to Maui and Kaui in his Cessna. Don't recall his checking the tires (I'm sure he did), but distinctly remember his making a deservedly big deal of checking the oil each and every time. One day, at take-off, he announced I (with ZERO flight experience) would be doing the honors, and I got to lift off and fly all the way to Maui---thrill of a lifetime!
    I just kick them unless they look a little bit low. With the wheelpants on, it's a real pain in the butt to check the air pressure (have to take the wheelpants off).

    I pay the most attention to the oil and fuel. I almost had to put a C150 down in the dark once flying at night in Texas. I took close to 21 gallons and the airplane only held 24 - not all of that is usable.

    Tom

Similar Threads

  1. Launch Complex 37B: Level by Level
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011-Jul-03, 07:00 PM
  2. 1000 year seasons
    By Red Giant in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-Feb-20, 12:17 PM
  3. 1000 Sols?
    By 01101001 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 2005-May-13, 07:53 PM
  4. Yey 1000 posts
    By mickal555 in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2004-Dec-10, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •