Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 42 of 42

Thread: Conspiracy Theories Forum

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,531
    Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    There is no discussion possible with debunkers on any subject.They just want you silenced or banned.
    If you really believe that, then all I can say is you haven't been paying attention...

    All the "debunkers" have ever asked for is credible evidence. To characterize "debunkers" as closed-minded (as you have done) is simply not true.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,595
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    All the "debunkers" have ever asked for is credible evidence. To characterize "debunkers" as closed-minded (as you have done) is simply not true.
    Ironically, doing so is itself closed-minded.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,193
    Ironically, doing so is itself closed-minded.
    Yes, life is funny like that.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,813
    Quote Originally Posted by SLF:JAQ SFDJS View Post
    I would like to suggest having a wild claims conspiracy section.
    See, that's a horrible idea. I have never been so grateful for any rule here as I am for the one that requires answers to direct and pertinent questions. (I would imagine that, if you do not consider a question pertinent, you could appeal to a mod for judgement; mostly, I've seen people whine, not answer any questions, and get banned for it.) I was desperately tired of those threads that would go on for days with people changing the subject every time they were asked for evidence, with people claiming they didn't need evidence and that it was our job to prove them wrong.

    It isn't. In conspiracy theories and ATM ideas, it is your job to provide evidence of your claim. If you don't have any, you should really consider why you believe in the idea in the first place.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,543
    Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    The baut forum is not the place to discuss conspiracy.IMO Even those threads related to astronomy are generally good to nothing. Several reasons to that , one being the Baut came from the fusion between UT and The Bad Astronomy forum a debunking site. ...
    You are right in part. The CT forum came from the old BABB; it was the result of the BA's expressed purpose of debunking bad astronomy in general and such CTs as the Apollo Hoax CT in particular.

    However, you have this wrong:

    Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    ... There is no discussion possible with debunkers on any subject.They just want you silenced or banned. ...
    If all we wanted to do was silence or ban you, there would be no CT forum in the first place, and certainly no long running threads, of which there have been many. Yes, some CTists have been banned, but for direct violations of the posting Rules, never because of their beliefs. (If you have a counter example, please let me know.)

    Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    ... And the competitive style of discussion with obligation to answer any silly question thrown at you by any debunker don't help.
    And you're wrong here, too. Gillian has it right:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... (The Rule) requires answers to direct and pertinent questions. (I would imagine that, if you do not consider a question pertinent, you could appeal to a mod for judgement ...
    (Emphasis added.)

    Do folks in CT get combative when debunking a claim? Yes. But it's the result of folks here being factually-minded. If you want to make an extraordinary claim, you'd better bring the hard, factual evidence. Hand waving and dodging are not appreciated.

    Unfortunately, many CTs and the CTists who promote them thrive on those latter two elements and have no solid evidence to present. When you're in that position, it's easy to imagine the entire scientific world is against you.

    It is.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,029
    Quote Originally Posted by galacsi View Post
    <snip>
    And sometimes I discover something new.True I did it only in the ATM forum , the Conspiracy forum like I said elsewhere is not interesting.
    There is a simple solution then, don't participate in the Conspiracy forum. There are lots of things on BAUT that I don't find interesting, so I just ignore them. There are threads that start out interesting and which, for various reasons, I loose interest in - I drop out of them. If you don't like the CT stuff, why should it be removed from BAUT, just don't get involved in it?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Noonan View Post
    I realise this is a Lazarus of a thread but I have tried my best to inject a little extra into the conspiracy section. Perhaps I should try a little harder.

    So the content must be based on astronomy and move from there ... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by SLF:JAQ SFDJS View Post
    Yes, I try my best to liven it up some days even if they do seem absurd. But I do learn a lot also. I would like to suggest having a wild claims conspiracy section.
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you guys are just looking for things to "liven up" the CT forum. Just my opinion, but I don't think that is a good idea - we don't need to find silly stuff just to create conflicts in the CT forum. If you have stuff that is just for entertainment purposes, put it in BABBling or games.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but it sounds like you guys are just looking for things to "liven up" the CT forum. Just my opinion, but I don't think that is a good idea - we don't need to find silly stuff just to create conflicts in the CT forum. If you have stuff that is just for entertainment purposes, put it in BABBling or games.
    I disagree Swift.

    Over-all things of a silly nature can be a bit fun- as long as it's done in moderation but...

    There is a lot of learning that comes from the CT forum. I have learned more about engineering, designs, behavior of light, the atmosphere, Apollo, psychology and a multitude of other subjects- just from that forum alone.

    You never really know where a thread is going to go. What direction it is going to take...

    Just being goofy for the sake of being goofy will likely backfire.

    But introducing real topics- even when they seem goofy, can produce some pretty impressive results too

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,813
    I have to say, I find espousing an idea you don't believe in for the express purpose of provoking a reaction seems like a really, really bad idea. Not only does it often make you look foolish and lose you respect, it isn't conducive to intelligent conversation, which is surely what we're here for.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    but politics is a front for the Illuminati, which is itself run by space lizards; so politics IS a space related, conspiracy subject.
    How does the Illuminati have anything to do with space lizards? Are you saying that Clinton and George Bush Sr. are space aliens? You know I'm either really tired or just numb, because I cannot seem to make the connection between the two!:surprised

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnofday View Post
    How does the Illuminati have anything to do with space lizards? Are you saying that Clinton and George Bush Sr. are space aliens? You know I'm either really tired or just numb, because I cannot seem to make the connection between the two!:surprised
    That's kind of the point...

    To a CTist, it makes perfect sense.

    So I guess you passed the test.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pontoise France
    Posts
    2,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    There is a simple solution then, don't participate in the Conspiracy forum. There are lots of things on BAUT that I don't find interesting, so I just ignore them. There are threads that start out interesting and which, for various reasons, I loose interest in - I drop out of them. If you don't like the CT stuff, why should it be removed from BAUT, just don't get involved in it?
    The first post (In 2005) ask the question :Should the "theories" in the Conspiracy Theories Forum include any conspiracy theory, or be restricted to those related to Space and Astronomy ?
    The decision to restrict to space and astronomy has been taken and implemented in 2007; and i agreed with that decision.

    So I don't ask to remove the CT stuff from the BAUT forum. I just said that I don't learn anything from the discussion on this CT forum.

Similar Threads

  1. There is a conspiracy on this "conspiracy theories" forum
    By homo_cosmosicus in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 283
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-06, 03:54 PM
  2. new forum on http://conspiracy-theories-hoax.com
    By Conspiracy Cam in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-14, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •