Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
Results 1,171 to 1,177 of 1177

Thread: Progress of New Horizons in the Solar system

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Still amazing to think that only a couple of years ago, we only had blurry pixelated pictures of Pluto. So many quite modern books are now so old. And we're old too. We're like those oldies who remember a time when a picture of Planet Earth was just a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    Still amazing to think that only a couple of years ago, we only had blurry pixelated pictures of Pluto. So many quite modern books are now so old. And we're old too. We're like those oldies who remember a time when a picture of Planet Earth was just a map.
    What do you mean "like those oldies who remember a time when a picture of Planet Earth was just a map"? I do remember that time, and it lasted the first 10 years of my life.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Dr. Rayman on the ballet the Dawn is undergoing to get a good look at Occator Crater

New Horizons Video Soars over Pluto’s Majestic Mountains and Icy Plains

In July 2015, NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft sent home the first close-up pictures of Pluto and its moons – amazing imagery that inspired many to wonder what a flight over the distant worlds’ icy terrain might be like.

Wonder no more. Using actual New Horizons data and digital elevation models of Pluto and its largest moon Charon, mission scientists have created flyover movies that offer spectacular new perspectives of the many unusual features that were discovered and which have reshaped our views of the Pluto system – from a vantage point even closer than the spacecraft itself.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Enjoy the latest map of Pluto and Charon

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/...?page=20170714

"On July 14, 2015, NASA's New Horizons spacecraft made its historic flight through the Pluto system providing the first close-up images of Pluto and its moons and collecting other data that has transformed our understanding of these mysterious worlds on the solar system's outer frontier.

Scientists are still analyzing and uncovering data that New Horizons recorded and sent home after the encounter. On the two-year anniversary of the flyby, the team is unveiling a set of detailed, high-quality global maps of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon."

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You have seen the updated maps of Pluto and Charon. Now fasten your seat belts as NASA just released two videos to take you flying by both of them.

https://www.space.com/37497-new-hori...niversary.html

"You can relive New Horizons' epic Pluto flyby, thanks to two amazing videos NASA released Friday (July 14), the two-year anniversary of the landmark event.

Both videos put the viewer aboard New Horizons on July 14, 2015, when the robotic probe zoomed within 7,800 miles (12,550 kilometers) of Pluto and captured history's first up-close images of the dwarf planet system."

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NASA's New Horizons Team Strikes Gold in Argentina

A primitive solar system object that's more four billion miles (6.5 billion kilometers) away passed in front of a distant star as seen from Earth. Just before midnight Eastern Time Sunday (12:50 a.m. local time July 17), several telescopes deployed by the New Horizons team in a remote part of Argentina were in precisely the right place at the right time to catch its fleeting shadow — an event that's known as an occultation.

In a matter of seconds, the team captured new data on its elusive target, an ancient Kuiper Belt object known as 2014 MU69. Weary but excited team members succeeded in detecting the spacecraft's next destination, in what's being called the most ambitious and challenging ground occultation observation campaign in history.

"So far we have five confirmed occultations," said Marc Buie of the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) in Boulder, Colorado, holding up five fingers as New Horizons scientists pored over the exhilarating initial data. Buie led a team of more than 60 observers who battled high winds and cold to set up a "picket fence" of 24 mobile telescopes in a remote region of Chubut and Santa Cruz, Argentina. Their goal: to spot the shadow of the mysterious Kuiper Belt object (KBO) that New Horizons will fly by on New Year's Day 2019 – to better understand its size, shape, orbit and the environment around it. Before these observations, only the Hubble Space Telescope successfully detected MU69, and even it had not been able to determine MU69's size or shape.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.