Thread: Was Sir Isaac a Bible coder?

From the above site:

Newton, who died in 1727, is best known for discovering gravity -- supposedly when an apple fell on his head.
    [emphasis mine]
    Lol [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]
    So how did people walk and stay on the earth before newton? How did we have the moon? I Knew that he was important, but i didn't know that important! Thank you Newton!

Newton was a preeminent physicist, known for coming up with laws describing gravity. He also developed the science of optics, and invented calculus (simultaneously and independently with ... erg, name blockout). Apparently he was also a numerologist, an astrologer, and an alchemist.

Just goes to show you that science doesn't stand on the argument from authority.

On 2003-02-24 01:11, Irishman wrote:
    Newton was a preeminent physicist, known for coming up with laws describing gravity. He also developed the science of optics, and invented calculus (simultaneously and independently with ... erg, name blockout). Apparently he was also a numerologist, an astrologer, and an alchemist.

Just goes to show you that science doesn't stand on the argument from authority.
    I believe he also did some work on fluid dynamics and heat transfer as well. He was one great old scientists, doing work in many different fields, which today isn't possible to match.

Newton ... invented calculus (simultaneously and independently with ... erg, name blockout).
    Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz

Leibniz developed a much more handy notation for calculus. I read because British mathematicians stuck to Newton's notation for a long time, mathematics on the islands didn't evolve as fast as on the continent. There is some pun about the "dotage" of the British mathematicians, sticking to Newton's dot notation.

There must have been a heavy flamewar between Newton and Leibniz.

Harald

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kucharek on 2003-02-24 05:43 ]</font>

Newton was a preeminent physicist, known for coming up with laws describing gravity. He also developed the science of optics, and invented calculus (simultaneously and independently with ... erg, name blockout).
    Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz - a great German mathematician and philosopher.

Apparently he was also a numerologist, an astrologer, and an alchemist.
    Kepler was something of an astrologer/numerologist himself. We must remember that this was a time when chemistry wasn't completely detached from alchemy yet.

[Edit: "Gottfried Wilhelm", not "Wilhelm Gottfried".]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-02-24 05:55 ]</font>

On 2003-02-24 05:42, kucharek wrote:

Leibniz developed a much more handy notation for calculus. I read because British mathematicians stuck to Newton's notation for a long time, mathematics on the islands didn't evolve as fast as on the continent. There is some pun about the "dotage" of the British mathematicians, sticking to Newton's dot notation.
    Lebniz's notation made the algebraic properties of differentiation more apparent. He also had the merit of inventing separate notations for differentiation and integration, which I believe Newton didn't do.
    Nevertheless, the dot notation is still used sometimes today, in physics -- usually do denote derivatives with respect to time, as I understand.

Actually (and typically) I believe the flame war was more intense between British academics and continental academics -- even after Newton and Leibniz were both deceased. You know, those national pride things...

On 2003-02-24 05:52, informant wrote:
    Actually (and typically) I believe the flame war was more intense between British academics and continental academics -- even after Newton and Leibniz were both deceased. You know, those national pride things...
    Nope, they we're both alive and well when the flame war started. See the MacTutor biographies of Newton and Leibniz, and also Trinity college has some of Ball's "A Short Account of the History of Mathematics" online, which contains a fairly detailed account of this controversy.

Also interesting is the war between Descartes's "force of motion", what we would call momentum, and Leibniz's "living force", what we call kinetic energy. Newton and his camp believed in conservation of momentum while Leibniz believed in conservation of energy. I find this fued more interesting since neither had a rational reason for their belief.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2003-02-24 17:13 ]</font>

I believe that Newton wasn't strictly speaking a "Bible Coder" in the modern sense of "The" Bible Code.

http://skepdic.com/bibcode.html
    http://www.csicop.org/si/9711/bible-code.html

I think he had his own theory about a secret code that was in the Bible.

Hmmmmmmm...interesting...

But is he correct?? Crud what's with all these worldwide doom nightmares nowadays?

Ok, being of a normaly skeptical mind, I'm going to put my foot in the fire here and say there is a Code in the bible. But it's not that hard to ferret out, and actualy makes a little sense if you study, or believe the bible.

It also has nothing to do with randomizing text to get results one wants to find, any short or long sentence can be applied to the method discussed previously to produce prophecy.

"AndNowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent" taken at a factor of 1 produces
    "AndNowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent"

The code I speak of was written about in a book called "Numbers in Scripture". If you can ignore some the the dogma, it's a very fascinating work.

Basically, the book details that the Bible has significant meanings to numbers. Such as: 1=Unity or a Begining, 2=Completeness or Division, 3=Perfection, 4=Gods works on the Earth, 5=Grace, 6=Man or Imperfection, 7=Spiritual Perfection, 8 and 9( I can't recall at the moment), 10=Completeted Spiritual Perfection or Grace Multiplied, 11 (forgot this one also), 12=Govemental Perfection, ... 49=Spiritual Perfection Multiplied, 50=Completeted Spiritual Perfection and Grace Manifested (known as Jubilee or year of Jubilee).

I won't go into more detail as this isn't a religious discussion board, but thought I would offer those interested a good source book of research on the bible that actually makes some sense.

"Goverment perfection"?? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Are you sure that isn't a mistranslation? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[Edited for smilies. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: informant on 2003-02-25 07:04 ]</font>