Thread: Ideas needed -- will you contribute?

Lightbulb Ideas needed -- will you contribute?

Hello,

I am an undergraduate student of Software Development about to start doing my course final year's project and who, much like you, has a deep passion for the ultimate frontier (Space) in general. I have decided that the theme of my project will be "Space Exploration". The problem is I do not have the slightest clue on what exactly to do, which is why I have come in search for help from you, fellow space enthusiasts!

The general specifications for this computer application software are very simple and straightforward. The application must make use of 3D graphics and sound (multimedia), will ideally use a management system of data (as in a database of celestial bodies, for example) and must have a real-world practical use. The application will be freeware, which means there will be no usage or download fees, and its source code will be freely distributed under the GPL license.

I must point out that I am more keen on developing a simulator of some sort that could be useful to scientists and/or professionals of the Space Industry.

However, I would like to hear from you all kinds of ideas you might come up with that meets the criteria I have outlined above, i.e.: space probes' (solar system) journey simulator.

Having over 18 years of programming experience developing software and knowing a multitude of programming languages and computer technologies I feel I have the necessary skills to take on a project of this magnitude.

I must stress once more that it must have a real-world practical application. Think of it as my contribution to the world, in which you will play an important part by helping me decide what to do!

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Best Regards,

David Nimrod

Wow well that sounds like quite a massive taking there. Well I can tell you what would be neat if I wanted to hire a software developer. Im building a website with star data for unpopular stars with with neat features. Every now and then I will do a work up on a cluster. What I would like to have a prodoct that I can enter data such as ,spectral class, size, tempreture, distance, position, etc. and generate a 3d view, interactive the better of the ROI

Why would I want this. It would help me determine easier which stars could be affecting others. Been able to look at the same area from a differnt angle just goes without saing. So if you build it ill use it

Sounds like a huge project.

My first thought would be to mke a simulator for the known extrasolar planets. That is, the planets that have been found that do not orbit our own Sun. The real world part of it would be first to increase awarenes of the existence of extra solar planets (through pretty flashing lights and such) and second to demonstrate the extreme orbits and environments that these planets have (in most cases).

3D sound may be tricky in a space simulator though...
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

How about a night sky viewer which would identify stars, comets, constellations and planets in the night sky, just input you latitude/longitude and point the mouse at a speck of light for the info?

How about a model of the Solar System? The model should be able to represent the Solar System at any day during, say, the last 4000 years, and the next 2000 years. It should also be able to show the Solar System running forward or backward at a range of "speeds". It should be able to show the Solar System from any direction and distance, up to one hundred astronomical units. Orbits should be visible or invisible as per the user's choice. At large distances, little circles should indicate the locations of the planets, and a backdrop of stars might be nice (but perhaps too ambitious and too liable to include mistakes, because of the proper motions of the stars).

It should also be possible to zoom in on particular planets, showing something of their surface, rings and major satelites.

This model would be a necessary preliminary to a Solar System Flight Simulator, as the main difference would be the absence of constraints on the way the user flies through the Solar System.

A modular structure, allowing the addition of new objects as they are being discovered might be advisable if the model is to remain useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbluestar
    (...)would like to have a prodoct that I can enter data such as ,spectral class, size, tempreture, distance, position, etc. and generate a 3d view, interactive the better of the ROI
    It would help me determine easier which stars could be affecting others.
    That sounds like a very useful practical application indeed. Just one question though: do you know of any institute, university, research group or any other organization that would be willing to share its database on stars (and perhaps on celestial bodies)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tog
    (...)to mke a simulator for the known extrasolar planets.
    That would also be an interesting project, as extrasolar planets (and indeed the possibility of life existing outside our Solar System) have been becoming a popular topic recently... I will give it some thought!

Quote Originally Posted by max8166
    How about a night sky viewer which would identify stars, comets, constellations and planets in the night sky, just input you latitude/longitude and point the mouse at a speck of light for the info?
    I think there are commercial software packages (and shareware/freeware ones I think) that already do that...
    Thus, I fell that to develop a software package with functionalities which already exist on available software with be much like reinventing the powder.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

Quote Originally Posted by Relmuis
    How about a model of the Solar System? The model should be able to represent the Solar System at any day during, say, the last 4000 years, and the next 2000 years. It should also be able to show the Solar System running forward or backward at a range of "speeds". It should be able to show the Solar System from any direction and distance, up to one hundred astronomical units. Orbits should be visible or invisible as per the user's choice. At large distances, little circles should indicate the locations of the planets, and a backdrop of stars might be nice (but perhaps too ambitious and too liable to include mistakes, because of the proper motions of the stars).

It should also be possible to zoom in on particular planets, showing something of their surface, rings and major satelites.

This model would be a necessary preliminary to a Solar System Flight Simulator, as the main difference would be the absence of constraints on the way the user flies through the Solar System.

A modular structure, allowing the addition of new objects as they are being discovered might be advisable if the model is to remain useful.
    Thank you very much for your richly descriptive suggestion. I must admit it sounds like a very useful (and very tempting) project to do, however, hasn't that been done before? In what way(s) would this project be any different from the already commercially existing ones?

Maybe a relativity demonstrator. The user can set up some number of objects moving at relativistic speeds. The user then selects an object, the clock setting for that object, and a direction to look. The program shows a view of the system from that perspective. Objects could be accelerated so the user could perform twin paradox experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by 0v3rload
    do you know of any institute, university, research group or any other organization that would be willing to share its database on stars (and perhaps on celestial bodies)?

Thanks to everyone for their contribution!

Yes many but going that route would be making a nightsky simulator and as you have pointed out its been done. And getting your product noticed above the established ones would be difficult.

What I was thinking was one that is programable. The user would have to enter data about the stars and the simulator would give you a view. If you were to use the database you would make a tool for the lamen viewer. I wanted one for the researcher. If you are successfull instead of looking for institutions to give you data you may be able to look for institutions to give you program.

There are many cataloges with data about stars that are readily available to anyone on te internet. The trick is finding what you want. You need to know the type of data that you want to include on each stars then you can start. If you want let me know what data you plan to include and ill find the cataloges for you. But my advise is not to go that route. Make it programable and let these guys use your program to further science

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Maybe a relativity demonstrator. The user can set up some number of objects moving at relativistic speeds. The user then selects an object, the clock setting for that object, and a direction to look. The program shows a view of the system from that perspective. Objects could be accelerated so the user could perform twin paradox experiments.
    I would need to read up a bit on that... Will get back to you on this one as soon as I am ready to get the mental picture of what it is you suggested! It definitely sounds interesting, Thanks Chuck.

What I was thinking was one that is programable.
    So was I ! However, I was thinking of including an already built-in, extendable database which could be used as a basis for performing yet-to-define functions (which themselves could be extended by employing a plugin modular approach), e.g. comparisons between celestial objects of their many different attributes ; 3d visualization; etc.

Thanks for your input bigbluestar!

FWIW, these are great ideas. I like Tog's and Chuck's ideas especially. Extrasolar planets are new to astronomy and new software ideas are probably needed. It wouldn't be hard, I think, to allow your user to input size and orbital distance parameters around a chosen class of star and predict the change in stellar brightness with oribtal time, for transiting planets. It could also enhance the stellar wiggle, for the non-transiting planets, and determine the wiggle's period for the given data.

It would also be cool to see graphically bi-polar flows in jets, especially ones that are "superluminal", which require relativistic terms to understand, as described in Keel's (ngc3314) new book.

Also, fairly new out there are the KBO's and Oort objects. It is quite easy to input size and distance and compute magnitude. This is vast new territory. For instance, at about 10,000 AU, barely into the Oort cloud, Jupiter would not be visible to the Hubble? Adding cometary orbits would be cool to see, too. It is predicted we should see a rogue comet come flying in at abnormally high speed due to its ejection from a neighboring Oort cloud. Maybe software could compute from where.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.