View Poll Results: Should Baut Have A Longer Ranking System?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 75.00%
  • No

2 25.00%

Thread: We Should Change Baut's Ranking System

We Should Change Baut's Ranking System

I'm really not sure. I guess im not satisfied with just three ranks...

Junior > Member >> Senior

Why not have more? I hate to compare, but Space.com's forum has a very interesting ranking system. i think it goes...

quark dust > quark >> nucleus >>> atom >>> cell >>> rock >>> asteroid >>>> meteor >>>>> planet >>>>>> solar system >>>>>>> galaxy >>>>>>>> local group >>>>>>>>> universe

I find that very interesting...

because from what i think, the advatages are that the more that people post, they will most likely be able to gain more knowledge from reading and posting more. because as for me, im a senior, but i barely know anything. most of my posts are questions, but i have learned a whole lot of info.

This is just my opinion, feel free to yell and scream at me

There was a much more in-depth ranking system on the BABB, but it just hasn't been implemented on the BAUT. For the most part, people just don't see the need.

The BA dislikes ranking systems because he thinks people are sometimes inclined to pad their post count in order to get to the next rank.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    The BA dislikes ranking systems because he thinks people are sometimes inclined to pad their post count in order to get to the next rank.
    Others, of course, just post unbelievable amounts even without the ranking.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Which made me realize that at some point recently I passed kilopi (again), and didn't even notice.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

It's interesting: at some point, you realize that you really don't care about post counts. Sure, everyone says that they don't, but then you realize that you had been all along up until that point. Happened around post 2000 for me.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    I totally lost interest in post count, hence why I restarted with a new handle. It's also good not to be seen as too anorachish... except of course unless your name is ToSeek.

But if BA doesn't like them, then may I suggest he get rid of them completely rather than leaving this lame one here. It's asking for people to sit in judgement of it.

Your point about being senior member and still thinking you only ask questions is nothing to worry about. For me, I look at the ranking system to judge how much slack to give a poster for failing to follow the rules. I can't imagine a ranking system that would let us sort people by what they know, or how reliable their statements usually are.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb
    Your point about being senior member and still thinking you only ask questions is nothing to worry about. For me, I look at the ranking system to judge how much slack to give a poster for failing to follow the rules. I can't imagine a ranking system that would let us sort people by what they know, or how reliable their statements usually are.
    well i've see na system on some BB's where the thread creator could select a post as the awnser to his question.

So say i ask:
    What is the name of this forum?

You say: BAUT, i can select this post as the cirrecct awnser.
    That is then used to create a ranking.

Over at my place rankings are set to something either really dumb or very smart that you said, or something you request.

For example:

ToSeek's rank is "Spongy Hyperion"

HUb' is "Legendary Enigma"

And we have one user with the rank "Launcher of Lunch Lettuce". If you want to know why you will have to come find out for yourself.

Wonder who started that?

Actually I think it happened to people before I started about it, but now everyone has one, it's cool, Lance's site totally rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Star
    Wonder who started that?

Actually I think it happened to people before I started about it, but now everyone has one, it's cool, Lance's site totally rocks.
    We've been doing that since just about the beginning, but it's still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    We've been doing that since just about the beginning, but it's still fun.
    Oh, I never noticed untill I asked KOS, then I noticed everyone had one that matched their personality, anywho indeed it's fun.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge_Seeker
    I'm really not sure. I guess im not satisfied with just three ranks...

Junior > Member >> Senior

Why not have more? I hate to compare, but Space.com's forum has a very interesting ranking system. i think it goes...

quark dust > quark >> nucleus >>> atom >>> cell >>> rock >>> asteroid >>>> meteor >>>>> planet >>>>>> solar system >>>>>>> galaxy >>>>>>>> local group >>>>>>>>> universe

I find that very interesting...

because from what i think, the advatages are that the more that people post, they will most likely be able to gain more knowledge from reading and posting more. because as for me, im a senior, but i barely know anything. most of my posts are questions, but i have learned a whole lot of info.

This is just my opinion, feel free to yell and scream at me

OK, but, to avoid misconceptions.....there is no such thing as quark dust. Dust is made of atoms, which contain protons, neutrons, electrons. The neutrons and protons are made of quarks which as far as we know are point-like....with no structure to them...just like electrons. Pete.

I think that might have been his point, if you could grind up a Quark you get Quark dust=n00b.

I think thats his point anyways.

hey dont criticize me, i also questioned that

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 777 geek
    I totally lost interest in post count, hence why I restarted with a new handle. It's also good not to be seen as too anorachish... except of course unless your name is ToSeek.

But if BA doesn't like them, then may I suggest he get rid of them completely rather than leaving this lame one here. It's asking for people to sit in judgement of it.
    What's "anorachish" mean?

The post counts were handy for me at first as a means of guaging levels of involvement. Now that I've been around (for about a year I think?), I barely notice them. New names jump out now, everybody else is fair game.

to address the post issue. i have a few things to say, why would someone want to come to baut and just try getting their posts up if they didnt enjoy astronomy and such?

i mean it would be a waste of time. so it is most likely that the members here are here to help. asking and answering questions. even to post, you have to read a little about what is going on.

because as i said before, i dont feel like i am a senior and should be looked upon as one of baut's best because im not at that level. but as i type this, i realize that those who may have previous experience may not be respected as 'rock' as someone who is a 'local group'. hmmm.......... now i dont know what side to take........

What is the point of the ranking system? Do people think it gives them some kind of seniority or extra authority?

If it was up to me I wouldn't have it at all, just a simple tally of post numbers should do.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I'm with Swoop. It may be pointless to join here and post even though you have little or no interest in astronomy, but I believe it's happened more than once. Graduated ranking probably enourages that. Just my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if "senior member" were changed to something else...I know I'm getting "old", I don't need to be reminded of it every time I post.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind if "senior member" were changed to something else...I know I'm getting "old", I don't need to be reminded of it every time I post.

Almost old as dirt
    dirt
    R.A.F.
    Swift

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    What's "anorachish" mean?
    "Anorak" is Brit-speak for a geek or nerd. See the Wikipedia definition for more information. Obsessive fans along the lines of Trekkies are often referred to as anoraks. (I think there was at least one Doctor Who TV documentary that was hosted by an apparently disembodied anorak.)
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I kind of miss the old BABB rankings. I'm just never gonna be a Bad Post-Doc, and I'll just have to live with it. I am, however, rapidly sneaking up on kilopi.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

What's a kilopi?

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    What's a kilopi?
    It's an asteroid - number 3142, ie 1000*pi, ie kilo-pi.

Some time ago, on the old BABB, a poster who was (I believe) the first to reach 3142 posts changed their sign-on name to "kilopi" in honor of that post.

There were then a handful of other posters who also changed their handles upon reaching 3142 posts. In fact, that original poster reached that number a couple more times and changed their ID each time.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I still am in favor of ranking, even though i know i am outnumbered....

who does have the most posts?
    and who has been on baut the longest?

Toseek has the most posts and has been here from the start I think...

... from the start indeed. From the Beginning.