Thread: Manned mission to Halley,s comet

Manned mission to Halley,s comet

What do you think of a manned mission to the comet of halley? I think serious about it because we can see with our own eyes of how it is to walk on a real comet,and to study it. And it can be a short trip to it ,bacause we can go to the comet when it is nearest to us (passing earth orbit) The only thing is the problem with less gravity ,that will be much less than on the moon. What do you think about this?

I think the lower gravity will be a benefit, because it will hardly take any deltaV to lift off compared to a landing on the moon or a planet. I think these small bodies are a perfect target for a manned mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Denis12
    What do you think of a manned mission to the comet of halley? I think serious about it because we can see with our own eyes of how it is to walk on a real comet,and to study it. And it can be a short trip to it ,bacause we can go to the comet when it is nearest to us (passing earth orbit) The only thing is the problem with less gravity ,that will be much less than on the moon. What do you think about this?

It is far more likely that another comet will be choosen. Halley's Comet will be a bit distant for another half-century while many other comets will be far easier to get to.

I suspect that by the next time Halley's Comet is in town we may have the capability to rendevous with it, but right now it is a giant velocity problem to match up with it.
    Forming opinions as we speak

if we send something on/to/towards haley's commet kind of like deep impact, wont its course be affected?

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge_Seeker
    if we send something on/to/towards haley's commet kind of like deep impact, wont its course be affected?
    Not noticeably.

David Brin wrote a very good SF novel called "Heart of the Comet" which begins with a manned landing on Halley in 2060 (I think that's the year of next perihelion), and spans the following 75 years. The environment of a comet is actually more of a background to the story, which concentrates mostly on the genetic engineering of humans and many resulting ethical issues.

Even if Halley's Comet were "in town", it would not be possible, especially not with current technology. Halley's Comet is in a steeply-inclined, retrograde orbit; the amount of energy--and hence, fuel--necessary to match orbits with it and land would be enormous. And as a highly active nucleus, the environment would be extremely dangerous around perihelion.

If humans are ever going to land on a comet, it will either be an extinct nucleus, or a short-period comet in a low-inclination, mildly eccentric orbit, like Comet Encke.