Thread: Does this emoticon work for you?

Does this emoticon work for you?

It seems to say many things except what you want it to say.

Do you agree?

edit-I tried to put a poll on this thread but it all went horribly wrong.

2. 2006-May-26, 09:44 AM

We're all men of world, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more!

You think you're smart, do you? Well, you're not as smart as me, not by a long chalk, matey!

If you are trying to "wink" such as at inside joke, it works very well for me and I have used it many times.
    If you are trying to use it as a pizza topping, a screwdriver, or as a faster-than-light drive, no, it does not work very well.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Seriously, I just use it as an inside joke, or more often as a generally cheeky smile. Hmm, maybe the Smiley police will be on to me soon

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    If you are trying to "wink" such as at inside joke, it works very well for me and I have used it many times.
    If you are trying to use it as a pizza topping, a screwdriver, or as a faster-than-light drive, no, it does not work very well.
    Really? And here I had just completed my treatise on Wink Drive theory. Basically, the wink drive says to the universe "I'm not really running off at an excessive and physically impossible velocity" with a quick wink, nudge and smile, while doing exactly that. How much the universe goes along with it determines ultimate velocity.

And I almost had a wink generator built, too.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn
    Really? And here I had just completed my treatise on Wink Drive theory. Basically, the wink drive says to the universe "I'm not really running off at an excessive and physically impossible velocity" with a quick wink, nudge and smile, while doing exactly that. How much the universe goes along with it determines ultimate velocity.

And I almost had a wink generator built, too.
    Sort of a varient of the Infinite Improbability Drive.... very interesting. You give the Universe a little wink and go "you wouldn't mind if I just suddenly popped over to this point 7.392 light years over here, now would you "

But I don't understand why you need to build a wink generator, most humans come equiped with two.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    But I don't understand why you need to build a wink generator, most humans come equiped with two.
    As you may have noticed, humans are incapable of moving at FTL velocities no matter how hard or fast they wink. Obviously, we just can't wink fast enough for the universe to care. The Hyperwink Generatortm is supposed to wink in the terahertz range.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2006-May-27 at 12:30 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Re: Does this emoticon work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn
    As you may have noticed, humans are incapable of moving at FTL velocities no matter how hard or fast they wink. Obviously, we just can't wink fast enough for the universe to care. The Hyperwlink Generatortm is supposed to wink in the terahertz range.
    All we need is a proper nudge to advance from being a man of the world to a universal pest.

It is a little know fact that 70s British glam band The Sweet were pioneers of wink technology.