Thread: Hunters of Dune

Hunters of Dune

Brian Herbert's got the first three chapters of this book posted on the dunenovels.com website.

Looks interesting so far.

Never bothered with any of the prequels. I read Frank Herberts 5 originals and was pretty tired of the series after that. So many other good novels out there.

Yeah. It was ok til the 3rd.

The prequels aren't bad at all
    The original Dune is one of my favourate books but I could not finish the rest of the series.
    If you like the works of Kevin J Anderson I would recommend giving the prequels a go

Reawakening this one, since a new thread seemed redundant. Hunters of Dune was a damned good read. A lot less cryptically written than Frank's original, yet it still obeys the characters (no reinvention or reimagining) and story very well.

What I think would be great, if Herbert and Anderson put together some kind of DUNE cultural compendium that could tie together both the newer books and the original core novels. Imagine a nice lavish compendium as a kind of next generation of the old Dune Encyclopedia. I had the original encyclopedia years ago and can't remember what the hell I did with it.

They could incorporate detailed timelines, detailed maps, artists renderings of key characters, machines and creatures. Maybe it could even incorporate external essayists in some capacity...who knows...Ahhh

I just think it's high time for a new encyclopedia and one that does justice to the scope of the universe the three authors have nurtured.

Quote Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
    What I think would be great, if Herbert and Anderson put together some kind of DUNE cultural compendium that could tie together both the newer books and the original core novels. Imagine a nice lavish compendium as a kind of next generation of the old Dune Encyclopedia. I had the original encyclopedia years ago and can't remember what the hell I did with it.

They could incorporate detailed timelines, detailed maps, artists renderings of key characters, machines and creatures. Maybe it could even incorporate external essayists in some capacity...who knows...Ahhh

I just think it's high time for a new encyclopedia and one that does justice to the scope of the universe the three authors have nurtured.
    Yeah, they've got Frank's notes on the whole series. The old man did his homework. Wrote full histories for each character pre-dating his first novel, which is the framework around which Brian and Kevin built the House series novels. The Butlerian Jihad novels were tied back to the story using Frank's Dune 7 notes. The continuity is very well stitched together.

As far as a timeline, Hunters of Dune has one that runs from the start of the Time of Titans (including an approximate CE date for comparison) and ties in the remainder of the series through major events in each novel.

I got through Messiah and that did in the series for me. Haven't read any of it since which is a shame because I started out liking it. But then I stopped reading Pern for similar reasons.

Messiah was a rough read, but it improves dramatically in Children.