Thread: Records

Records

As ToSeek pointed out a short while ago, it's been a while since anyone's been banned. I was hoping for a straight month without such an action.

Then again, a "temporary" might not count.

Overall, kudos to the regulars and newbies who have read the FAQs and maintained civility!

I will point out that, obviously, this does not include spammers, of which I've turned in more than a few myself.

But other than that, good going, everybody!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren
    I will point out that, obviously, this does not include spammers...
    Yeah...I was going to mention that. They are getting "shot down" before they have a chance to do too much damage.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

People probably don't realize just how many spammers we get because they don't last very long - I think the last one was out of here inside of ten minutes.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I've seen one today who lasted at least a quarter (some pharmacy spam)

Good job, mods, and indeed, it's good to see that the banned posters log doesn't have to be used that much anymore, while we still have enough threads in the ATM and Conspiracy fora (to name two of the most dangerous ones).

In terms of spam removal, some are spotted by mods, but we owe our promptness to the watchfulness of the other members. Thanks. Concerning warning/suspending/banning longer term members, I think that we are very fortunate to have a community that fosters a cooperative attitude, and it clearly isn't just the mods making this all work so well. Nice going everyone.
    Forming opinions as we speak

That's a good point. Virtually all of the inappropriate messages on here, particularly the spam, are spotted and reported within minutes of their arrival, sometimes by two or three members. That makes it very easy for us moderators to keep the boards cleaned up. It would be very difficult to do without that kind of help.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Hooray for us!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Absolutely. I wonder how many forum members realize they can report threads. Just click that little red triangle at the top of a nasty post. An email is sent to all the moderators and admins about the post. It also creates a thread in the admin section so the first responder can mention what happened and ask me or Phil to ban the IP. It's pretty efficient now.

But to agree with everyone else, thanks to all the members that bring the threads to our attention, it's a great service.

I know that the interim period had a couple of sockpuppet permbans that didn't get reported in the thread, so don't think it was that quiet.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain