Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Mean Scientists Dash Hopes for Martian Life

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    233

    Mean Scientists Dash Hopes for Martian Life

    From the Onion

    http://www.theonion.com/onion3913/mean_scientists.html

    "PASADENA, CAA team of cold-hearted, killjoy scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory callously announced Monday that the likelihood of complex life on Mars is "extraordinarily low," dashing the hopes of the public just like that...."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    162
    hilarious (lmao)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,171
    Heh:
    "They could be doing such exciting stuff, but they won't," Brooks said. "Rather than using the Hubble Space Telescope to prove the existence of black holes, we should be piloting a fusion-powered spacecraft straight into the heart of them, coming out the other side into a parallel universe populated by our evil, goatee-wearing doubles."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    263
    The Onion is one of my favorate web sites.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thompson
    The Onion is one of my favorate web sites.
    What's even funnier is that Onion articles are often taken seriously by cranks. The Landover Baptist Church website (strictly religious parody) is another source of such articles.

  6. #6
    I can relate to the vein of this article.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12,454
    WARNING: RESURRECTED THREAD!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,108
    What's your problem William? Do you want to get banned?

    What would possess you to take the time (time you claim you don't have) to go through the trouble of regurgitating ancient threads on multiple fora?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18,185
    And isn't Bill Thmpson also William_Thompson?

    No, I don't understand him at all. He can't be bothered to respond to questions and comments, complaining about limited time, then does this.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn
    And isn't Bill Thmpson also William_Thompson?

    No, I don't understand him at all. He can't be bothered to respond to questions and comments, complaining about limited time, then does this.
    Sock Puppet?????????

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn
    And isn't Bill Thmpson also William_Thompson?
    Well, both user profiles list the same homepage...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    29,959
    Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F.
    Well, both user profiles list the same homepage...
    Same homepage but different computers (IP addresses, anyway). And no simultaneous use of the two ids, so it doesn't count as sock puppetry.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,273
    Perhaps Mr. Thompson simply changed internet service providers and since his ISP# was now different, he re-registered (this time using his full first name)? It just doesn't seem like something someone would do if they wanted to form a sock puppet...too obvious, IMO.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,531
    Quote Originally Posted by N C More
    Perhaps Mr. Thompson simply changed internet service providers and since his ISP# was now different, he re-registered (this time using his full first name)?
    That is a reasonable explanation...
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18,185
    I actually wasn't thinking of sock puppetry (it is an old ID). I just find it interesting that he found it necessary to comment on an old subject he already commented on years ago.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Similar Threads

  1. Why do Scientists search for life in space?
    By boschsmith in forum Life in Space
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2010-Dec-07, 12:20 AM
  2. 'Artificial life' breakthrough announced by scientists
    By sanman in forum Science and Technology
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2010-Jun-10, 12:22 PM
  3. Scientists are Keeping an Eye on a Martian Dust Storm
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-Jul-12, 07:39 PM
  4. New Evidence Raises Hopes of Life on Mars
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2006-Mar-01, 07:02 AM
  5. Discussion: New Evidence Raises Hopes of Life ...
    By Fraser in forum Universe Today
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-Jan-17, 10:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •