Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: North Korea launches missile

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
    Perhaps they plan to shoot down Santa Claus for not giving GWB a lump of coal last year.
    Maybe they should so our marketing geniuses could find some other stupid way to promote this God forsaken country.

Quote Originally Posted by V-GER
    Maybe they should so our marketing geniuses could find some other stupid way to promote this God forsaken country.
    Monty Python did your jingle, what more do you need?

Finland, Finland, Finland,
    The country where I want to be,
    Pony trekking or camping,
    Or just watching TV.
    Finland, Finland, Finland.
    It's the country for me.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

So, any guesses as to when North Korea may launch again? The world situation is tense in several places (levant and subcontinent) and that might take the spotlight of Kim making him want to launch again.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

I think it all depends on how quickly they can rewind the rubber band.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Well, back to the subject at hand. What this thread did to make me feel better was show me the true range of the Taepodong II, and it comes nowhere near the West Coast. (Sorry Alaska) As I live just north of San Francisco Airport, this was worrysome.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

My uneducated guess is that the next set of launches will be about
    two years from now. Their development program seems to be rather
    slow-paced.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I was just watching FOX News (the other stations had documentaries on instead of live news) and they were showing a graphic of the ranges of the North Koreak Missiles. They showed a large circle that included much of the lower-48 and listed it as the range radius for the Taepodong-2C, a variant on the Taepodong-2. Has anyone seen any reliable information about this variant?

Edit: the New York Post lists the T-2C as having a range of 9320 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis
    I was just watching FOX News (the other stations had documentaries on instead of live news) and they were showing a graphic of the ranges of the North Koreak Missiles. They showed a large circle that included much of the lower-48 and listed it as the range radius for the Taepodong-2C, a variant on the Taepodong-2. Has anyone seen any reliable information about this variant?

Edit: the New York Post lists the T-2C as having a range of 9320 miles.
    I have seen a similar report. There was a picture in a magizine or a newspaper around here or something that showed the Taepodong-2 could hit just about anywhere in the U.S. if they used a polar route. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I heard an estimate of something like 9,300 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish
    I have seen a similar report. There was a picture in a magizine or a newspaper around here or something that showed the Taepodong-2 could hit just about anywhere in the U.S. if they used a polar route. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I heard an estimate of something like 9,300 miles.
    But this report is the Taepodong-2C, as opposed to the Taepodong-2.

Yeah, but for them to use the polar route they would have to chuck it over the airspace of their only friends on the planet, the Chinese. Then there is the Russian airspace overflight.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon
    Yeah, but for them to use the polar route they would have to chuck it over the airspace of their only friends on the planet, the Chinese. Then there is the Russian airspace overflight.
    I never said that it was practical for them to do that. As you said, it really isn't. I'm just saying that they could do it.

I haven't heard anything about any varients of the Teapodong-2. I wish I never recycled the paper that had the information on it, I could have scanned it and put it up here.

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    And if Isreal (or the US, England, Russia, Sri Lanka, whatever) launched a bunch of missles with no warning, there would be a big stink too. In the real world you don't just start popping off missles without telling anybody because you might start a war. North Korea obviously doesn't care.
    Ofcourse they may have told somebody, somebody with a Great Wall say, and that somebody didn't care and didn't tell anybody else. Who knows?
    And frankly I wouldn't put too much faith in what North Korea says.
    Relating to the North Korean military tests.

Joint Japanese/ US Study on North Korean Missiles

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The U.S. and Japanese analysis, based on data collected by radar on Aegis-equipped warships and other intelligence sources, found that the six missiles traveled 185-250 miles northeast from the Kitaeryong missile base on North Korea’s southeastern coast and landed inside a designated zone within a radius of about 30 miles, the Yomiuri said.

North Korea set a restricted area — a triangle about 100 miles on each side — in the Sea of Japan off the North Korean coast between July 4 and 11.
    So, hang on - the missiles did land where they were supposed to, and that was in a designated zone? So, does that mean they did alert neighbouring countries to what they were about to do? Because that seems a flat contradiction of much of the rhetoric that I heard at the time.

Funny how this sort of analysis comes out a month later - when a casual analysis at the time would have brought the same conclusion.

If it is true that they did send out an alert then I really see no difference to the testing they've engaged in than to the testing undertaken by other countries in recent months. Storm in a teacup.

I think it was more of a trust thing. I dont think anyone thought they would launch an ICBM 200 miles when it could go 2000 or more

Quote Originally Posted by jkmccrann
    Funny how this sort of analysis comes out a month later - when a casual analysis at the time would have brought the same conclusion.
    Yeah, it looked obvious to me.

Since you quoted me for some reason, I'll respond: Yes it's fine if they announced the tests beforehand. Did they? If they did announce their plans, did our (western) military know? If so I'd expect that they'd tell the media that it was a planned test once it made the news. Did they? If the media knew it was a test or found out it was planned, why didn't they tell us it was just a planned test? Was it their plan to keep us paranoid to create fear and ratings? Who knows.

Like I said it's wrong for anybody to conduct unannounced launches. If it was announced, fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jt-3d
    Since you quoted me for some reason, I'll respond: Yes it's fine if they announced the tests beforehand. Did they? If they did announce their plans, did our (western) military know? If so I'd expect that they'd tell the media that it was a planned test once it made the news. Did they? If the media knew it was a test or found out it was planned, why didn't they tell us it was just a planned test? Was it their plan to keep us paranoid to create fear and ratings? Who knows.

Like I said it's wrong for anybody to conduct unannounced launches. If it was announced, fine.
    I agree that not announcing tests is a large breach of international protocol and decorum - and should rightly be frowned upon. From that article it doesn't make clear whether they did announce these tests beforehand, or what they did. But apparently they did announce an exclusion zone.

I'm not sure whether announcing an exclusion zone is generally enough to indicate impending missile tests or not - so I'm not qualified to comment on what exactly that means, but it does seem to me that they made some effort to reveal their intentions beforehand - something that wasn't at all clear from any reporting I saw.

I do agree with you that there's a lot we don't know about how and why these tests were conducted - so it is hard to impossible to give an opinion that truly takes into account all the conflicting information out there - I just think that we as citizens have to be wary of believing everything we hear about this type of thing, even if it is being fed to us by our own side.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...satellites_at/

Pyongyang Radio Says North Korea Able to Launch Satellites at Any Time

N Korea prepares to launch satellite

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...e/1443129.aspx

North Korea said it had the right to ''space development'', words the regime has used in the past to disguise a missile test.

North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency carried a government statement that said, ''The preparations for launching experimental communications satellite Kwangmyongsong-2 by means of delivery rocket Unha-2 are now making brisk headway.''

However, the report said, the North had not yet placed the missile on a launch pad. Experts said after mounting the missile, it would take five to seven days to fuel the rocket.

Was there ever a Kwangmyongsong-1?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Mechanic View Post
    Was there ever a Kwangmyongsong-1?
    I'll try to avoid politics as much as possible for this one
    I don't think there really was a Kwangmysong satellite
    and if it did ever exist then it probably went exploring the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

The DPRK is extremely secretive so getting accurate info isn't really possible. If North Korea did have a space exploration program then it was a sudden surprise and it ended dramatically in the late 90s with the failure of this satellite.

If however North Korea had an active missile program, launching its missiles under the camouflage of media reports about Korean sats exploring space would be a clever idea. It could be North Korea's way of testing in they can park a few dozen chemical warheads 1000 miles on Tokyo or on the Marine Corp base in Okinawa without hostile intent and without saying anything so aggressive.

Iran also recently put an exploration payload into space, they did this with a modified DPRK scud. The DRPK got lots of scuds, they launched many in 2006 but have been unable to build a functional ICBM (the bigger Tae-Po-Dong should have a range of about 4500 miles but it flopped ). With Iran stealing their thunder in February 09, their ICBM failure in 06, Kim's health in serious question it's possible North Korea is now feeling inadequate and wants to make some kind of big boy statement once again. Then again there is also the possibility Korea's program is completely peaceful and the DPRK only wants to put a flag on Mars .

North Korea said it had the right to ''space development'', words the regime has used in the past to disguise a missile test.
    Somebody care to explain the difference? Or is this just political-speak?

It's the classical case of technologies that have multiple uses.

If you dislike the people developing the technology, you focus on the negative uses and claim duplicity when they claim it's intended to be used for one of the others.
    If you like them(or is the one developing the technology), you argue that the "innocent" use brings benefits that means they should be allowed to do it.

It's just political-speak, on both sides

There's no way to develop space-capability without developing ICBM capability and the though of North Korea with the latter has people scared spitless.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by V-GER View Post
    Yet "Finland has been ranked the second most stable country in the world, in a survey based on social, economic, political, and military indicators." - Source

Still, some people prefer excitement and adventure!

Wow. I took a second look - that's scary! I've been in two of the top 15 worst (most unstable) countries on the list, and quite literally, within spitting distance of a third. As for those in the Warning category, I lost count after 10...