Thread: is Mars really coming closer to Earth

Question is Mars really coming closer to Earth

an internet email is circulating, stating that Mars will be closer to Earth than ever seen by humans on 8/10/06. Any truth to this?

Nope.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, never joined a forum b4

Just read the rules, and your good to go!

Also, so you know your not the first person to ask this question. If you do a search before making a thread sometimes you can catch your question on a pervious thread. It helps a lot.

We have another new member who asked pretty much the same question. THere is some truth to the email. The close encounter happened in 2003. I sort of wish the email had posted the year as will as the month and day.
    Forming opinions as we speak

but like a stopped clock is right twice a day, that email will be true again some day...

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb
    We have another new member who asked pretty much the same question. THere is some truth to the email. The close encounter happened in 2003. I sort of wish the email had posted the year as will as the month and day.
    It now appears like we are going to get this one every time Earth passes Mars' orbit.

Here's one I found , but I know there's more.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher
    It now appears like we are going to get this one every time Earth passes Mars' orbit.
    No, we're going to get some every end-of-July to early August. This no longer is related to where Mars really is.

I have received a couple of emails on this, also.

The event they are describing happened in August of 2003.

Looking from Earth, the apparent "size" of Mars, or any celestial body, is most often stated in terms of its angular diameter. The units are usually measured in seconds of arc (arcseconds). There are 60 arcseconds in one arcminute; 60 arcminutes in one degree; 360 degrees in a circle. [The moon and sun are about 30 arcminutes (about 1800 arcsec or 1/2 a degree). Variations in lunar apparent size is due to changes in distance; natural to eliptical orbits.]

NASA's JPL Horizons is an easy to use and powerful site that gives you all kinds of orbital data (ephemeris): http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi

Here are the results I obtained from their site regarding the size of Mars as seen from Earth.

Aug. 27, 2003.....25.125 arcsec. [also the same on Aug. 28, 2003] This was the big event.
    Oct. 30, 2005.....20.181 arcsec. This was very large, too, but not the big one.
    Jan 1, 2006....... 11.5 arcsec
    Aug 27, 2006..... 3.540 arcsec [About as wimpy as it gets.]

Therefore, Aug. 27, 2003 Mars was 50 times larger (area) than it will be on Aug. 27, 2006.

Just tell them to get a bigger telescope if they want to see it larger.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Here we go, get ready for the ride...
    Newbies comming:
    - This is either spam:
    - Or someone completely new here (hasn't even lurked before the first post)
    - Or someone who is naive
    - Or someone who just wants to go for the ride.

(I'm responding here so as not to bump the other - sort of a reverse ToSeek)

Yep. No doubt it will get worse before it gets better.

THE HOAX STOPS HERE. [We should give the BA and Fraser one of these things for Christmas. ]

maybe the BA should set up a website where people can be quite free to place quite large bets that Mars will pass close to the Earth, it could be quite lucrative or maybe make the point that people don't really belive it that much.

I think I remember Phil saying on the Skepticality podcast that Mars would be the same size as a naked-eye viewing of the full moon in the sky IF YOU VIEW IT THROUGH A 75X MAGNIFICATION EYEPIECE!!!!!!!! (Sorry, just needed to emphasis that bit.)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAssassin
    I think I remember Phil saying on the Skepticality podcast that Mars would be the same size as a naked-eye viewing of the full moon in the sky IF YOU VIEW IT THROUGH A 75X MAGNIFICATION EYEPIECE!!!!!!!! (Sorry, just needed to emphasis that bit.)
    That sounds like the BA, alright. However, he probably said it three years ago. The moon is about 30 arcminutes (1/2 degree) in diameter which is 1800 arcseconds. Dividing by 75 gives you 24 arcseconds which is very close to the size it was in August of 2003.

To see Mars the same size as the Moon on Aug. 27th 2006, you will need a little over 500x!

Ah, I see. Actually, I just dug out (well, clicked on) the podcast in question, and he was indeed referring to that. The e-mail that says this is on the BA site somewhere too, but I can't remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    To see Mars the same size as the Moon on Aug. 27th 2006, you will need a little over 500x!
    Which wouldn't be SO bad if it weren't visually very close to the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAssassin
    Ah, I see. Actually, I just dug out (well, clicked on) the podcast in question, and he was indeed referring to that. The e-mail that says this is on the BA site somewhere too, but I can't remember where.
    Here you go.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/news...tacks2005.html

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb
    Which wouldn't be SO bad if it weren't visually very close to the Sun.
    Hmmmm....if they would have stated Oct. 23rd, 2006 instead, then looking toward Mars, an object would appear as large as the Moon. At sunset you would see, perhaps, a somewhat redish object with the same angular size as the Moon.

Question metoer

when anew metoer can crash in the earth or another country
    in the world:

Quote Originally Posted by fatimah
    when anew metoer can crash in the earth or another country
    in the world
    Welcome to the BAUT Forum.

Are you concerned about meteors? They are not a large risk.

NASA Near Earth Object Program: Target Earth

On a daily basis, about one hundred tons of interplanetary material drifts down to the Earth's surface. Most of the smallest interplanetary particles that reach the Earth's surface are the tiny dust particles that are released by comets as their ices vaporize in the solar neighborhood. The vast majority of the larger interplanetary material that reaches the Earth's surface originates as the collision fragments of asteroids that have run into one another some eons ago.
    With an average interval of about 100 years, rocky or iron asteroids larger than about 50 meters would be expected to reach the Earth's surface and cause local disasters or produce the tidal waves that can inundate low lying coastal areas. On an average of every few hundred thousand years or so, asteroids larger than a kilometer could cause global disasters.
    For the big ones, that is: every few hundred thousand years. It doesn't happen often.

No one should be overly concerned about an Earth impact of an asteroid or comet. The threat to any one person from auto accidents, disease, other natural disasters and a variety of other problems is much higher than the threat from NEOs. Over long periods of time, however, the chances of the Earth being impacted are not negligible so that some form of NEO insurance is warranted. At the moment, our best insurance rests with the NEO scientists and their efforts to first find these objects and then track their motions into the future. We need to first find them, then keep an eye on them.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Nah, i think it Mars won't be coming because it all hoax. I am sick of those stupid people making this up!
    Does anyone know who did it?

wasn't it Martha and the Marzipans?