Thread: Faces on Mars?

Faces on Mars?

I am afraid that the recent image from NASA refuting the presence of a face on Mars, raises more questions than answers.
    I agree that the very good image of the main contender for the "face of Mars" looks less and less like a human face.
    But how about the two "hills" to the right? One is a spitting image of a human skull staring back at me through gaping eye sockets and the other one a fairly good immitation of a human face and a miniature of the original one.
    Is it possible that we are indeed looking at a mutilated large monument of a human face? Mutilated by constant bombardment by meteorites?
    Just asking!
    Phil

Nope, just incidental rock formations. You can see that kind of thing here on Earth. Until a few years ago, you could have seen the same thing in the US up in New Hampshire. Pity about the Old Man on the Mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bokmakierie View Post
    I am afraid that the recent image from NASA refuting the presence of a face on Mars, raises more questions than answers.
    Not at all! Not. At. All.

The alarm clock is not sad! Wikipedia: Pareidolia

===

Incidentally: Oh, wow. I just noticed that Wikipedia's Hidden messages (entry) index guide (or whatever those sidebar boxes are called) makes Ambigram and Pareidolia close neighbors. Ambigrams are my hobby (see my avatar image and experience the depths of my depravity at my website). I never considered the relationship.

Yeah, sometimes I do look at text upside down (or, by practice, look at it right side up and envision it upside down), and just happen to see other accidental, unintended text. Hmm...

I'd now place a smiley here -- best of both worlds -- were I prone to portraying faces with elements of text.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bokmakierie View Post
    I agree that the very good image of the main contender for the "face of Mars" looks less and less like a human face.
    But how about the two "hills" to the right? One is a spitting image of a human skull staring back at me through gaping eye sockets and the other one a fairly good immitation of a human face and a miniature of the original one.
    Is it possible that we are indeed looking at a mutilated large monument of a human face? Mutilated by constant bombardment by meteorites?
    Just asking!
    Phil
    Two corrections: the new images aren't from NASA but from the European Space Agency. Second, the "miniature" of the original one is the original one; it's just showing more stuff around it. And I personally don't see a strong resemblance in either case - with millions of hills on Mars, a few are bound to look interesting.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

My apologies for ascribing the APOD to NASA.
    I also misinterpreted the text accompaning the APOD.
    My mistake.

Phil
    Last edited by Bokmakierie; 2006-Sep-29 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Typos

There are a number of interesting things worth noting. If you look at a picture of say 200 pebbles on a beach, I guarantee that you'll find one of them looks like something other than a typically shaped pebble. Like ToSeek explained, with all those hills, one of them will look like something interesting.

If you are unsure, then go try it out for yourself!

it means life cycle is present on mars? or the life cycle is over on mars? or the life cycle is in its initial phase! or stone age starting on mars? or someone is there who is making this art? if we are looking interesting rock and mountain sculptures, like sphinx on earth.

these are all childish questions, but anyway I have asked.

Quote Originally Posted by suntrack2 View Post
    it means life cycle is present on mars? or the life cycle is over on mars? or the life cycle is in its initial phase! or stone age starting on mars? or someone is there who is making this art? if we are looking interesting rock and mountain sculptures, like sphinx on earth.
    Come on. You know what it means. It means sometimes natural rocks look something like faces.

Wikipedia: Pareidolia
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Well that photo looks like our moon! Without same colours, grrr.

All that carving for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    Not at all! Not. At. All.

The alarm clock is not sad! Wikipedia: Pareidolia
    Aaaawwwww, that alarm clock DOES look sad!

At least a little blue.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Aaaawwwww, that alarm clock DOES look sad!
    If someone stuck those things in your eyes, you'd be sad, too.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I wake people up--and then they hit me, verbally abuse me--curse whoever invented me...sobs.

Seriously, I seem to remember hearing that Kim Peek or another Savant was terrified of clock-faces and mirrors...

I once had a dream of a clock flying across the room at me, and then stopping before my face. Some years later, I see a horror movie with something similar.

Talking

Hey, what if we discovered a world where an ancient civilization actually left gigantic ruins of their faces facing the sky – except, being totally alien; their faces happened to look just like mountains, craters and hills. That would be a bummer wouldn't it?

Adds new meaning to my signature quote:

Cool. There's a link to the BA's shower curtain, though I still think he's wrong about who it is.

Naww its definately the commie.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakenorrish View Post
    There are a number of interesting things worth noting. If you look at a picture of say 200 pebbles on a beach, I guarantee that you'll find one of them looks like something other than a typically shaped pebble. Like ToSeek explained, with all those hills, one of them will look like something interesting.
    There is a mountain in the baja with the face of a monkey on it - looks almost as good as the faces on Mount Rushmore. The locals - amazingly enough - call the mountain monkey face mountain. (It is visable by sea in Bhai San Carlos.) So does this mean Planet of the Apes wasn´t fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by Atraveller View Post
    There is a mountain in the baja with the face of a monkey on it - looks almost as good as the faces on Mount Rushmore. The locals - amazingly enough - call the mountain monkey face mountain. (It is visable by sea in Bhai San Carlos.) So does this mean Planet of the Apes wasn´t fiction?
    Exactly. They went into the past with that spacecraft we sent forward, created the Face on Mars (actually, the face of the great Doctor Zaius) and this mountain you just mentioned. Simple!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Exactly. They went into the past with that spacecraft we sent forward, created the Face on Mars (actually, the face of the great Doctor Zaius) and this mountain you just mentioned. Simple!
    Yes - but before they were able to make faces out of miles and miles of rock and soil, they practiced with easier material.

We're programmed from birth to recognise a "face". It's hard-wired into our brains. Newborn babies respond positively to "face-like" patterns on pieces of card.

It STILL looks like a face: Joseph Merrick.

This also looks like a face and some people have suggested it is the face of its builder.

However most seriously minded people accept it is a pure accident caused by how the 18th century iron frames were joined together. It only looks like a face when viewed from a particular angle. There was no deliberate human intention to create a face.

As has already been said our brains have pattern recognition programming which is designed to look for things that are familiar it is all part of how our memories categorise things. That is why we see faces and animals in clouds and why we can see ghosts and monsters in the shadows. This has nothing to do with aliens but it is an interesting aspect of how advanced nervous systems translate visual signals into meaningful data. As well as being an example of how such intelligences can be confused or led astray - UFOs????

There are examples of people who have suffered brain damage who cannot recognise their spouses or their own children, when they are standing right infront of them in well lit rooms. They only recognise people when the speak to them. These people are not blind their eyes work and they can walk about with bumping into things but they simply cannot match the inputs from their eyes to the memory of people that they know. "We see what we want to see" or rather we see with our brains more than with our eyes.

Consider this, you have probably seen pictures of Zebra or Tigers and learned that their striped patterns are there to provide camouflage. At the same time you will have watched wildlife documentaries and wondered how come, this or that animal seems oblivious to another when you can see it clearly on screen. That is because your brain is filling in the gaps in the visual input. You know the animal is there (the commentary tells you so) and your brain is providing you the missing data. This may well have been yet another of the evolutionary payoffs from our big brains that our early ancestors gained. Our eyes may not have been as good as those of some other animals in the wild but we were able to compensate with our very powerful image enhancement software which exceeded that of most of the other mammals around us. Just now and then this software provides us with erroneous answers and the martian face is one of those.
    Last edited by 3rdvogon; 2007-Apr-11 at 03:44 PM.