Thread: Spitzer Image Question

Spitzer Image Question

Hi there

If I could link to this image from Spitzer http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/wallpaper/ar...-1280-1024.jpg

A Beautiful image of the Sombrero Galaxy. My question is regarding the two points of red light in the bottom left hand side.

I presume these are other galaxies - am i right in thinking they are two seperate galaxies on a collision course? If so, is this what our galaxy and Andromeda would look like from a similar distance?

Also, why are they red, and are they further away than the Sombrero or closer? I presume further away...

Many Thanks

I don't think it answers your questions, but a description of the image(s) is at Planetary Photojournal: Spitzer Spies Spectacular Sombrero

Edit: It does address one question, sort of. The red color is false. It comes from the infrared imaging. There is also there, a grayscale visible-light image and the two blobs in question are... gray. The red of the two blobs as pictured must only indicate that they are the source of some frequency of photons in the infrared band. You can make out their spiral shapes easily at the bottom of the enlarged version of Figure 3 (mislabeled Figure 2). They span about the same arc, but I don't know if they are colliding, or even close.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Thanks for the reply. How would I get a difinitive answer on this? How can I find out if these galaxies have been studied or imaged in as much detail as Sombrero?

It looks like 2 colliding galaxies to me, but i suppose it course be an artifact or anything really.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrrius View Post
    How would I get a difinitive answer on this? How can I find out if these galaxies have been studied or imaged in as much detail as Sombrero?
    You can be confident that they haven't been studied as much as Sombrero. Sombrero is much closer, and an easy target. These things are distant and not easily resolved.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Thanks Anton - Do you think they are 2 colliding galaxies?

Lightbulb Galaxies

Quote Originally Posted by Darrrius View Post
    Thanks Anton - Do you think they are 2 colliding galaxies?
    Yes, it is a pair of interactive galaxies, which you can easily see if you go to the Spitzer webpage:
    http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media...2005-11a.shtml
    And select the HST visual image of the same field; get the high resolution image, which is fairly large. You can clearly see that it is two galaxies.

The Spitzer image is color coded, so that red is the longest IRAC wavelength (8.0 microns), and blue is the shortest IRAC wavelength (3.6 microns). All of the background stars look blue, which they should; stellar emission drops off sharply at longer wavelengths. The two spots you see are red, which is an immediate bell ringer, because stars will never show up like that at 8 microns, unless they are deeply buried in dust and so visible only at long wavelengths. That alone would have made me guess galaxies, had I not already known what they were.