Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enterprise

On 2001-11-05 12:49, Kaptain K wrote:
    According to the entry on the Daystrom Institute web site (http://www.ditl.org/), the inertial dampers are controlled by the computer system and therefore act in concert with the ship's drive systems. When the force is external, like in a weapons hit, the dampers must react and there is an unavoidable delay between action and reaction.
    Yeah, that's what it was, I think. It sounds right to me. I was just going by little slips of memory floating around in my head.

Thanks. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Okay, my Enterprise rant for this week is:

Why is that no matter where the ship is hit by weapons fire sparks fly on the bridge? Is this like the ultimate in graphical user interfaces: little spark-generating devices that go off to tell you the ship's been hit, as if you didn't know already?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2001-11-15 09:00 ]</font>

How about the Enterprise going into orbit at 500 kilometres but the alien ship was hiding from them "probably" in geosynchronus orbit on the other side of the planet.

On 2001-11-15 09:05, Alan wrote:
    How about the Enterprise going into orbit at 500 kilometres but the alien ship was hiding from them "probably" in geosynchronus orbit on the other side of the planet.
    If I'm willing to use thrust, I can stay geosychronous at any altitude I want. I'm not sure it would be proper to call that "orbiting" though. But ST tends to call any path in space around a planet an orbit, powered or not.

The aliens were using the planet's mass to hide their ship from Enterprise; I think "geosynchronous orbit" was just an unfortunate use of a specific orbital mechanics phrase for Trek Jargon.

My beef is why the aliens, who clearly had transporters that they were comfortable with using on people, wouldn't use transporters to pick up the shipments. Instead they use a shuttle and tractor beams. Ugh! Just beam the mined ore off a platform in the mine.

On 2001-11-15 11:30, Geo3gh wrote:
    My beef is why the aliens, who clearly had transporters that they were comfortable with using on people, wouldn't use transporters to pick up the shipments. Instead they use a shuttle and tractor beams. Ugh! Just beam the mined ore off a platform in the mine.
    Well, obviously, the dampening field which was preventing the Enterprise from transporting the generator would also prevent the aliens from transporting the ore. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] Of course, they could have transported the ore from right inside the shop, but maybe the ore is unstable in some manner that prevents it from being transported safely?

Having said all that, though, why were these guys running a dampening field, anyway? It's not like the inhabitants were going to detect the "neutrino emissions." Although, I suppose it would make sense that they turned it on when they detected the Enterprise approaching . . . which means the "unstable ore" theory must be the one that prevented them from transporting, since they'd been taking the crates out for months.

I can't believe that apothecary never hung around the woods long enough before to see the shuttle pick up the crates, though!

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Oh, come on, guys... let's not pick invisible nits... anybody can tell that the important message of this episode was, "Archer gets lucky with alien babe!"

Besides, 500km is a fine altitude for geosynchronous orbit... assuming the planet rotates fast enough. Love those short nights! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Nitpicking aside, I was actually pretty impressed with this episode. (It was far better than the typical Voyager episode, that's for sure.) The technology worked in a reasonable way -- no major plot holes -- but didn't overpower the story. I especially liked (SPOILERS ahead):
    • The universal translator failed and Archer had to find a "creative" way to cover it. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    • Transporting the antimatter reactor into the path of the attacking ship.
    • Riann chooses the correct button to deactivate the shield but Archer insists he's right ... whoops! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Besides, 500km is a fine altitude for geosynchronous orbit... assuming the planet rotates fast enough. Love those short nights! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    For Earth that would be something like a 50-minute night. Short is right!