Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moving Stars and Mass Hysteria

Hi folks - first post - apologies for the length!

I saw something very similar to Jeff in about 1991 over the skies in SE Essex in the UK.
    A friend and I were getting into the car around midnight (sober, I might add!) on a very clear summer's evening looking up at the sky we saw what we both agreed was a satellite.
    I had been an avid aircraft spotter for years at this point and it wasn't an aeroplane - it was way up high moving in a straight line really quite quickly.
    All of a sudden it stopped dead in it's tracks...which we both saw at the same time and quite nervously chuckled about it.
    It then appeared to zip about the sky in every which direction.
    I can only describe it as appearing to be pinged between several differently angled pin-ball flippers.
    We both watched as it did this for a few seconds or more - maybe 10/20 - then it stopped dead again and then resumed the straight line trajectory it had appeared to be on originally.
    Without us mentioning it - another friend described seeing the same the following evening.

Now this could be an optical illusion of some kind but no-one has really done a very good job of clearing that up for me.
    I'm no UFO nut - I'm very happy to accept isn't our little green friends, and probably isn't even some 'new' military propulsion (though who knows?)
    But I must stress - this wasn't 'flickering' or 'juddering' or 'fading in and out' and didn't appear to be passing through a cloud (though way up there - who with a naked eye could be certain?)
    It was the sudden and pronounced certainty of movement that stuck me and my friend.
    It was very, very odd and unfortunately the word we agreed on was 'unearthly' (UFO fans back-off!)
    This zipped backwards, forwards left and right really very very quickly and suddenly before stopping and returning to it's 'course'.

Since the internet has made it easier for one to find other folks that have seen similar - this appears to be a common sight all over the planet - although you do have to wade through acres of lunacy to find it.
    There are videos too -which look rubbish generally - like someone's shaking the camera wildly or as a pal remarked 'that could be a light pen on black paper' but they do show pretty much what I've seen, though the camera tends to blur the movement - and it's such an odd sight you wouldn't try to replicate it fraudulently unless you had seen it with your own eyes - it's that weird and stupid looking!

So, there it is - again my apologies for the long post...but I really had to clear up that this isn't 'like those dots you see when you close your eyes' as someone mentioned on an earlier reply, though I appreciate the attempt at explanation.

I tend to think it's a satellite and we're seeing something very bizarre occurring with light....but my poor brain is finding that very hard to reconcile with what my eyes (and my 2 friends) saw.

Any decent explanations/clearer reiterations gladly accepted!
    I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks

I'm now looking for something tangible on the web about auto kinesis - that could be the thing - but I need some examples.
    Would a camera pick up auto kinesis or is it purely a brain function?
    Anyone know any good web sources?
    Thanks

I can't point you to any articles, but the "autokinesis" described in
    posts 88 and 89 is a result of eye and brain interpretation of what
    is seen, so it can't be shown in video or photos.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Thanks Jeff,

I know this footage could easily be faked - but this looks pretty similar to what I saw

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/m...eLight9.flv%26

You may need to paste that into your browser, sorry...

I'd say that probably isn't *faked*, but what it actually shows is
    anybody's guess. Although an actual autokinesis effect can't be
    captured on video, it should be very easy to make a simulation
    of it to demonstrate what it looks like. However, since the real
    thing can apparently be created without *too* much difficulty,
    as described by flynjack1 in post 90, that might be something
    to try. My laundry room can be made completely dark, and
    should be long enough to set up in...

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Hi,

I found this thread by searching Google for moving stars. I also saw one a few years ago and I'm pretty sure my eyes didn't fool me. It seemed like ordinary star and somewhat brighter than the others. Suddenly it moved very fast to another spot and stayed there. It really moved because it changed position against the other stars. It did not fade out or anything else. This is clearly not a satellite nor the ISS or any kind of planet. After what i've seen I did some research and found a video on youtube that showed exactly what i had seen. There was no real explanation for it so I stopped searching for it till now. Unfortunately I couldn't find the video on youtube, otherwise I would have linked it here. I keep searching for it and will post it when I find it. I believe that most users here have actually seen something. I know it's hard to understand for someone who hasn't seen it themselves.

Keep watching the skies

Hello, steffo78!

If something actually moved, and that sort of thing happened
    at all often, it would frequently be seen in videos and in still
    images made in quick succession, which is something that is
    done all the time nowadays by amatuer astronomers with CCD
    imagers in their telescopes. Such motion hasn't been reported.

Air turbulance can cause star images to jump around, which is
    what 'twinkling' is. I'll be interested to see the video that you
    have seen.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Hi Jeff,

I've been searching like 2 hours, but I can't find the video. I guess it must be really rare
    I'm going try to explain in detail what I saw. The "star" was right above my head and started
    moving in a straight line to another spot. It went really fast and duration was about 2 seconds maybe
    less. It didn't travel long distance because it was still close to the stars before it moved.
    When the movement started it accelerated and at end it slowed down a bit and completely stopped.
    After that I kept watching it for a time but it didn't move anymore so I stopped watching it.

I know the twinkling of stars but that is definitely not what I saw. I'm pretty sure I can call this one
    a UFO, not saying that it is extra terrestrial but you never know of course

That sounds most like the autokinesis thing. Another possibility
    might be that you saw a satellite. You were looking at the stars,
    suddenly noticed the satellite moving through the middle of your
    field of view, then lost track of it when it faded out again, and
    your gaze switched to a nearby star.

You might find that video if you think of another search term,
    and the video is appropriately tagged. Those things appear and
    disappear unpredictably, too.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I gave up searching for the video. So I decided to make one myself. This is not real footage, but just a simulation I made that gives a perfect image of what I saw. It looks quite real, but that only shows how easy it is to fake stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HTY8RfTHgE

i have seen and have video with me and my wife witnessing the same.

We took an experiment with a notebook and the sky. I did not look at the paper while the
    Object moved. I just simply drew what i saw in the sky. Have two people do this on opposite sides of your yard and see if they are spot on or close.our ancestors (maya & egyptians) have written pictures on walls of things that they have seen. In the sky maybe. This is my first night with pen and paper and i am really suprised to see a picture of a mans face with a ring in his nose. And 10 or 15 i havent figured out yet. We need a night on the same continent/timezone to get a viewing and draw what you see and see if we have corresponding answers.the first few minuites were spelling mopod E90 (large e). Then went to shapes. The rectangle complete first with squiggly on top then it started over with squiggly on bottom. But both were complete rectangles. Any suggestions on date im in alabama usa.

Saw the same thing

Back in the 90's , late 90's . Me and about a dozen other people were sitting on this old gravel road and I looked up at the sky and saw a star take a fast dip , it caught my attention it moved pretty quick . I didn't say anything at first and kept watching it . It was doing zig zag motions and circles . When it moved it moved more than a couple degrees at a time . The wind wasn't blowing so the trees on the horizon weren't moving and you could use this as a set point of reference . Then someone must've seen me looking up because they then looked up and kind of shouted to everyone else look at that star moving . So about a dozen people maybe more stood watching this thing move for a couple hours or more . Non stop . To even put it to the test that everyone was seeing it move in the same direction , when it would move everyone would say when it started and what direction it was going . If this was a brain effect how could the same effect happen to a dozen people or more exactly the same way . I saw this same thing on a couple different occasions over the years since with other people and the same thing happened . Last night I saw this again , it was low on the horizon but altitude wise looked like a star , planes were flying across the sky and even using a passing plane for reference this star seemed to dip and zig zag move up and down and do circles . I am an experienced , seasoned merchant marine and very use to looking at the stars at night , but still don't know what this star is or what it is . I know what it's not , it's not a plane , or helicopter , nor is it an effect of my brain or vision , I can look at the star next to it and it's not moving . After last nights occurrence I found this forum and decided to register and comment . By the way my experience on the sea does include some celestial navigation , I don't have a lot of experience in it but enough to know what stars do .

Hi. I just created an account because I experienced this last night. I work security at a plant and sometimes go outside and watch the skies. I've seen some odd anomalies, but nothing that can't be explained with some kind of reason. But this one really threw me.

The sky was a little cloudy (SC Jan 18 2015 about 8 to 9 pm). I stepped outside and noticed a few very low and very bright stars in the sky. The one I focused on was (in relation to myself) just low and to the left of Orion (near Orion's right foot). It was very bright and not very high above the horizon and there was also a barely visible treeline that ran the length of one side of the entrance road at the gate I work. I stared at the star for a few minutes because it almost seemed to be hanging in the air - almost like it was in Earth's atmosphere. Far to my left (if Orion was at my 1 o'clock position, this would be about my 10 o'clock position), there was another bright star that seemed to be hanging low as well.

At a glance, either star appeared to be still, but if I focused on either one, it would appear to start doing an almost imperceptible dance: small circles, jigging slightly to the left and right, or bobbing up and down somewhat rapidly. Sometimes it appeared to even flatten out slightly. It would happen no matter which star I focused on. As a way of eliminating variables, I tried focusing on other stars individually and I seemed to get a similar effect, though not as pronounced as the two very bright and low stars. The star to the left was also overhead of the facility which was fairly well-lit.

I wanted to set up my phone or a camera to record the stars from a stable surface so I could review the video and eliminate the possibilities of optical illusions, but my phone camera is a piece of junk and couldn't pick up stars in the sky. I was still paying attention to the stars in-between spurts of work. I can verify that the star I was watching most (the one near Orion) was moving across the night sky in tandem with the rotation of the Earth. That is, it was keeping its spot in relation to Orion as the constellation moved across the sky.

I just got up after a couple of hours of sleep to take my roommate to work and did a google search to see if this was a commonly known optical illusion and this was the first thing I found. I will look for the star again tonight.

Hello, Gshuford !

The bright star to the lower-left of Orion is Sirius, the
    brightest star in the entire sky (aside from the Sun, of
    course). The bright object far to the left of Sirius is the
    planet Jupiter, which is the second-brightest planet after
    Venus (which set in the west about 7 PM). The brightness
    of Jupiter varies throughout the year as its distance from
    Earth changes, but it is always brighter than Sirius.

I think your impression of their rapid motion may be due
    to the difference between color vision, with which you see
    Jupiter, Sirius, and other bright objects; and night vision,
    with which you see dimmer stars. Your eyes constantly
    jump around a few times each second, looking in slightly
    directions. That is necessary for the eyes to work. When
    they shift position, the images on your retinas shift. Your
    visual system compensates for that shift and interprets the
    scene as not moving. But it isn't able to follow the bright
    objects as quickly as it follows the dim ones, because color
    vision takes longer for the brain to process. So the bright
    objects you are concentrating on in the central part of your
    vision seem to move relative to the dim objects in the
    periphery.

That's what I think is the most likely explanation in this
    case. It could be something else.

Camera phones aren't designed to capture extremely dim
    objects like stars. The human eye is!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

See also this blog article by some guy called the Bad Astronomer: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba.../#.VL2tacvTnqB

If it’s near the horizon, you may see it twinkling madly: flickering, dancing, perhaps even changing color.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Please someone help me i know this thread is old but something like this happen to me it was so vivid i can never forget, i wish we had the technology to see old memories on a screen $: Anyhow this happen in jamaica around 2001-2003, i was playing in the street with a old car tire, bouncing around, racing with my friends and what not. I was pushing the tire and i decided to take a sit and when i gazed at the sky there was a particular star, it was very blue, you could almost see the aura coming off it. This is the freaky part, it suddenly leaped about 3-4 times and then it just zip out into outer space, it was moving so fast there was a short blue trail of light behind it. I told a few people what a saw, my brother told me that what i saw was probably a star exploding but that doesn't explain much for me, i don't want to come off crazy but do stars leap? This has been haunting me pleaseee i need answers q.q sorry

As others have pointed out, the phenomenon described here—at least in the majority (it seems) of the 106 posts in this thread—is autokinesis, defined by the OED as "[a]n optical illusion in which a small stationary object in a uniform background, esp. a light source in an otherwise dark field, appears to move." Though the Encyclopædia Britannica states that it is the result of involuntary eye movement, researchers demonstrated that it is not as long ago as 1928. The actual cause remains a mystery.

I first experienced it one evening when I was about ten years old. I had conducted an unauthorised chemistry experiment on my mother's Aga. Alerted by smoke and an unholy stench, my parents burst into the kitchen to find me desperately trying to tidy up. I was sent to my bedroom in disgrace. For a long time I sat at my window, gazing ruefully at a bright star to the south. Suddenly something odd happened. The star appeared to shift a little to one side, spin round its original position a few times, then return whence it had come. During the next half-hour or so it treated me to several repeat performances. At some point I grabbed a piece of paper and began to make notes. Only many years later did I learn that what I had witnessed was merely an optical illusion.

A sure fire way to tell if a light in the sky is moving is simply to stand near a telephone pole/wire, and wait and see if the light passes behind it and vanishes.

A still finger **might** do in a pinch

I can attest to the phenomena. One night I was staring at Orion and in particular Orion's Belt. suddenly the rightmost star started moving, slowly probably 1 degree a minute. I was kind of freaked for a moment as I thought UFO. Then I noticed it was following a pattern similar to a parallelogram. So I closed my right eye to allow my dominate left eye to concentrate on it, and low and behold it stopped moving. Opening the right eye and it started moving again after about 1-2 seconds. A bit more experimentation proved my right eye will make something seem to move in the same pattern if i stare at any small bright item, but closing it stops the movement. So now i am trying to find out why my right eye is doing that. it may be something that happens when we look with both eyes at very small bright object on a dark background, or I have a wierd thing happening when i do it, but your description seemed very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MongotheGreat View Post
    I dont' know if this qualifies for a mass hysteria, but listen to this. In Novemebr of 2001, My brother, two cousins and I were leaving the field after a day of deer hunting. It was dark and we were standing around the trucks talking. After a while my one cousin said he could see a star moving. We stood around looking at it. It did appear to be moving, not much, but about a degree across the sky in circles or random patterns.

I couldn't see it moving at first, but as they talked and shouted: "it's moving left" or "it's circling", I thought I could see movement. Well, being astronomy minded, I took out a napkin and pen and jotted down a little star chart for later identification.

Turns out it was the star Formalhaut. It wasn't moving. And I could still swear it was moving and they all say I'm a liar.
    I was wondering what conditions could actually make a star appear to move like that. Notes: no other stars appeared to move, it was low on the horizon, there were some trees in the way.

The only thing I can think of is that our eyes locked onto the trees as a coordinate system, as they moved it appeared the stars were moving. This seems unlikely, however, as the trees weren't really visible. It was very dark.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mongo

About a week ago I was sitting outside at our lawn table after dark. I looked up at the sky to see how many stars I could see. I wasn't concentrating on any special star when, suddenly I saw one begin to move. It would go left, right, up, and down, quickly. Then it would go in tiny circles. The limit of its travel was from about ten to twenty times the star's diameter. I called for my wife to come look and we watched it for about a half hour. She saw the same movements that I did, at the same time.

I went out the next night, and almost every night since then. and "Old Faithful" was still doing its dance every time. I don't think it was a satellite because it stayed in the same location. I've seen many satellites wend their way on their appointed courses. On a couple other nights I saw two other stars doing the same thing, but not nearly to the extent as the first one.

I think that it could be the auto-kinetic effect because there is another, much fainter, star close to the brighter one. The two seem to always be in lock-step, the same distance apart and at the same angel to each other. It's hard to see the fainter one move, but tonight I am sure I saw it move too, in perfect unison with the bright one.

I had this same experience forty some years ago, before there was an Internet to explore for answers. At the time I thought it might be a satellite being positioned by small rockets or blasts of air. But after all these years I think that is unlikely.

Another thought I had later was that what I was seeing was a projection of light, like a flashlight being waved. It is certain that no object could actually move that fast and change directions so quickly. What if a star was having solar flares on different points? Would that make it appear to be moving?

Actually, autokenesis seems to be the most likely explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by edaho View Post
    ... autokenesis seems to be the most likely explanation.
    I agree, though finding how you and your wife shared the effect would be interesting to discover... but it isn't astronomy, so we needn't discuss it here.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by DaVega View Post
    ive seen this or something like it 3 times now. usually night fishing or just sitting outside looking at the stars. ive seen them move mostly in an s shape like a snake would crawl. but this is no trick on the mind because i sat and watched it move around the sky for a couple hours once. and not just in a small area it would move great distances passing other stars. i tried to find a pattern in timing or where and when they moved but it seemed to be random. it looks so slow you cant notice it unless u pay attention but must be moving pretty fast too be so far away. ive seen it move in circular motions too but not as much as the s shape. it would fade and grow in brightness. sometimes dissappear and pop up in another part of the sky and do the same thing. it would either fade away and i could not find it again or just stop moving long enough for me to loose interest. if anybody has information on this or has seen it too. contact me through myspace.com/smitheryscrunchy. thanks
    I would like to know why I've only seen it twice. Once hunting, and once fishing. Unlike others, the people I was with could not detect the movement. It moved almost exactly as you described it. I'm willing to go with autokenisis, but why have I only witnessed it twice?

Not imagination,r cerebral illusion, or actual motion

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger things View Post
    I would like to know why I've only seen it twice. Once hunting, and once fishing. Unlike others, the people I was with could not detect the movement. It moved almost exactly as you described it. I'm willing to go with autokenisis, but why have I only witnessed it twice?
    The wealth of observation on this site should be convincing that this phenomenon is not mass hysteria nor is it related to brain function. It is clearly a real phenomenon but equally clearly it is not related to the motion of stars. After all astronomers peer at stars all the time and unsurprisingly, movement of the type described here is never observed. Nor could it be, because any detectable motion would require the star to move much faster than the speed of light. Moreover the phenomenon appears to be unique to certain stars. My wife and I observed one tonight that did the well-described dance of S-shaped curves and rapid movement even though a plane, that would serve as a stable reference point, flew within less than a few angular seconds from the star. This star also ducked behind a tree and then shot well away from the tree. Obviously it had some distinguishing feature that differed from the other stars in the sky, all of which appeared to remain static. The most plausible explanation is that it differed in color or possibly had some degree of polarization or coherence, all of which could be selectively affected by atmospheric disturbances. Verification will require that someone identify such a star to permit analysis of its visible light features.

Hi,

Is this thread still active?
    I believe I witnessed the same thing. I have some photos to prove it.
    I witnessed the stars moving in a light or bright objects in the Danakali depression in Ethiopia. A group of 30 people saw it

How do you add images?

At the bottom of the reply box is a button that says 'Go Advanced'. That will bring up a range of options including 'manage Attachments' which allows you to add images.