Thread: Insanely High Resolution Photo of the Tarantula Nebula

Post Insanely High Resolution Photo of the Tarantula Nebula

I'm not sure why, but the European Southern Observatory has decided to give their web servers and bandwidth a real workout with their latest photo release. ...

Read the full blog entry

Exclamation Insanely high resolution?

I'm a bit confused about all the talk about "resolution" in digital images today. It was much simpler with my 35mm SLRs that I used to use, and still keep waiting for a reasonable transition option to use them again in the digital age. Let's say this "insanely high resolution" image here were 12000 x 12000 pixels and I printed the image on my 1200 dpi Samsung CLP-550 color laser printer as an image 10" x 10". Would I not have a perfect mapping of image pixel to laser printer dot? Can it really be that simple? ddk

Quote Originally Posted by dknie@netnitco.net View Post
    Can it really be that simple?
    Yes it is that simple, though it may be that there is also some higher color definition than your printer can reveal.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Dear Fraser,

instead of "deploring" the insanity - could you just give the link to that "insane source" ?

By the way - 211 MB may be the present day record, but you may find links several-ten-MB images on the Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter (MRO) home page. Not every photo tool can handle these sizes but (e.g.) Adobe Photoshop can. It is just fun to make "deep zooms" and not end up to early at the pixels of the image. All the best Jurgen

( Source )

DJBarney

Quote Originally Posted by barsuhn View Post
    instead of "deploring" the insanity - could you just give the link to that "insane source" ?
    I'm assuming that barsuhn was using hyperbole here as a form of humor. Fraser never deplored insanity of the resolution, but merely used dramatic terms to describe it.

Here is the link. It is a TIFF file, so you'll need a TIFF reader.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I'm betting that was a big, "whoops", on ESA's part. That sort of invite is pretty much guaranteed to crash most web servers

[QUOTE=antoniseb;891452]I'm assuming that barsuhn was using hyperbole here as a form of humor.

Thank you for detectimg humor im my few lines - but what means "Hyperbole" in this connection? - Thank you for the link, I restricted myself to loadimg down the 16 MB-jpg-version. All the best Jurgen