Thread: Listening for ET

Post Listening for ET

Are we alone in the Universe? We won't know until we really start looking for life around other stars... or listening for it.

Read the full blog entry

Greetings,
    I think that "listening" with broadband high sensitivity radio telescopes is the only thing that makes sense. We couldn't do it in the past because the radio telescopes lacked the sensitivity in general and those telescopes that were sensitive enough were used for other research efforts with very limited efforts devoted to SETI. I think it makes great sense to have a worldwide program of surveillance of the stars in our local neighborhood for any signs of intelligence. Perhaps once a year or once every 5 years a very detailed microwave frequency survey could be done.
    Just my thought.
    Al

Yes!

I support the SETI efforts totally. They are win/win. If we find another civilization, terrific! And if we don't, then what does it mean if we are alone? So far we haven't found anything. I feel the cold stellar winds whistling past my ears. Why is there nobody else? Is the universe so viciously violent that there is no other advanced life?

Of course there is advanced life out there. Don't be silly

Where?

Quote Originally Posted by firstcontact View Post
    Of course there is advanced life out there. Don't be silly
    Show me.

Seriously (again), in an infinite universe anything that can happen will happen. Since the universe appears infinite, there are in all probablity other advanced civilizations. Can happen, will happen. The problem is that we have found no signs of them. They might be really scarce.

Reminds me of a quote attributed to Arthur C. Clarke:

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Protocol

What's the protocol for contacting an alien intelligence?

Mayonaze - What's the protocol for contacting an alien intelligence?
    I'm pretty sure the accepted protocol is: "take me to your leader!"

But seriously ó and at the risk of being dragged through the coals ó I honestly believe that SETI is a waste of time and money. While I firmly believe that a vast abundance of extraterrestrial life forms exist throughout our universe, I feel that given our existing level of technology and the overwhelming vastness of space, our chances of actually making contact with an alien civilization is virtually zero. Since SETI began monitoring over 4 decades ago they have covered an enormous amount of space; I believe itís somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 light years. And yet, that entire area comprises only a tiny fraction of a percentage of our 100,000ly diameter galaxy ó less than a mere fifteen millionth!

Using the Drake Equation (N = ( R=200B x f=20% x n=3 x fl=20% x fi=10,000 x fc=20% x) x L=10,000years )* and as you can see by filling the variables with fairly generous numbers for our galaxy I came up with 2,400 possible civilizations. That may sound like a lot but when spread out over 200,000ly, each possible civilization is analogous to a single grain of sand among all the beaches on the earth. The odds of contact are over fifteen million to one!

Donít get me wrong, Iím a huge proponent of space exploration and if I had my druthers I would take at least half of our defense and social services budgets and allocate them to space and physics programs. I just can not accept SETI as a worthwhile investment given the extremely limited constraints of our existing technology. I would rather see the time and funds spent developing more sophisticated equipment that may some day allow us to search a much broader area ó eventually even distant galaxies, rather than narrowly scanning the extremely miniscule spectrum of our galaxy that we are currently able to reach.

* Hereís a link to a pretty cool interactive Drake calculator:
    http://www.classbrain.com/artmovies/...ticle_50.shtml

The good thing about this idea of using large microwave/radio surveys for SETI research that it is dirt cheap. Basically all you need to do is pay an astronomer to analyze the data in this light. The data is all there and it can be used just as well to look for lymann-alpha emissions, interstellar molecules or alien civilizations.

Correction

To the post made by Mayonaze... The Galaxy is 100,000 ly diameter, not 200,000

Our Alien Neighbors

I am very supportive of SETI but even more supportive that they keep thinking of smarter ways to search, such as vastly narrower scope and shrewd choices of media and frequencies, etc. No point in wasting all our energies and funds on futile search techniques. Statistically there are undoubtedly many more peoples in our own galaxy, not to mention the incomprehensible universe, and they are probably very much like ourselves.

There is a long history of consistent sightings and evidence of visits by more advanced peoples right here on Earth, so why do they avoid contacting us? Think of it from their perspective: if they contact us, they would have to take responsibility for us and our development, and who would want planets-full of undeveloped peoples to take care of, clamoring for them to "teach us your technology"? So we can support too many people and fight bigger wars? In this light, a non-contact policy on their part makes plenty of sense, as well as a very humbling realization of our UNimportance to them. All societies have their own cares and limited resources to worry about. Perhaps they realize that our healthy development could be terribly damaged by their meddling, and we are better off all by ourselves. And they are just not cruel enough to interfere. They respect us, and that says alot for their nobility of intentions. Perhaps they are even protecting us from harms we can't imagine out there. Of course, their being humanoid, the status quo could always change, and the risk of harm is always present, hence why would we want to rush into contact with advanced peoples? We are indeed better off developing at our own pace.

However, there is consistent evidence of one activity all over the globe, and that is the mutilation of cattle. By "mutilation" is always meant the surgical removal of genetic material (gonads), otherwise leaving somewhat burned and shocked carcasses behind. Is this for scientific research? But if they are collecting many samples from our planet, and there are many other planets, then that is alot of genetic material being collected constantly. A disturbing vision begins to emerge of an advanced society, and our own future as well. That is of a society which practices a high degree of biological manipulation. Is it for malicious intent against others, or protection from such harm? Is it for selfish intent of personal genetic improvement, or defense against some kind of horrible warfare? The scary thing is that the science of our own society is headed in exactly this direction of bio-manipulation. So perhaps this activity gives us a frightening glimpse into our own future, as well as our best, mysterious clue as to what "they" are doing on Earth and why they don't say hello, and why we may really not want them to.
    Last edited by ynot; 2007-Jan-10 at 08:14 AM. Reason: addition

It would be just my luck to encounter an intelligent alien only to unintentionally say something that makes them angry. I have enough trouble communicating with my wife sometimes and she's ... wait a minute ...

Technology nontheless

I support the SETI program for the mere fact that its another field that helps our race venture further into better technological advancements. Its the idea that while studying something you discover something new that affects a completely different field..in this case better and more sensative telescope. I'm sure this new technology is related to another field that can and will utilize the discoveries.

That is my general opinion about technology. However I support SETI because I am curious to know what's out there and sternly believe that the discovery of an alien species will change the human race dramatically and I emphasize dramatically.

Interesting to speculate on what our reaction might be. I suppose it depends on the content and tone of the communication we receive. We could suddently realize our responsibility to husband all life everywhere or we could become catatonic. Is there any serious literature available on this - something other than a scifi novel?

Serious Literature

I'm not sure about the serious literature...I would have to guess that we can just take the matter seriously and write about it ourselves lol. The discovery of an alien civilization will certainly have a significant effect on the human psyche considering the diversity of beliefs/religions found on the planet. I think it will cause panic/curiosity/dissillusion/awakening...to answer the question entirely we'd probably have to look at the human race in terms of geography or education or culture.

For me personally it would be long awaited good news. I've relied entirely on imagination and Sci-Fi to manifest the idea of an alien species, but it originates solely from the human perspective so it will always be 'human'.

There are too many variables and unknowns out there. The more we discover, the better.

Anyone wanna take a serious and educated guess as to what an alien species might look like, act like (social structure), live like (environment) etc. ?