Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The Heck Is This Thing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

    The Heck Is This Thing?

    Last edited by Swift; 2010-May-01 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Language

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,536
    cynic,

    First, welcome to BAUT.

    Second, I have edited the title of this thread. Please watch the language; if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother or a four year old, don't say it here.

    Third, it is considered polite behavior here, when linking to a video, to give a little summary of the content, or what you think about it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    50,536
    For the rest of you, the video is some images from the Stereo satellite and the things of interest are some bright, close to point sized "objects" that I think the maker of the video contends are alien spacecraft.

    I'm not sure what they are, but I'm far from convinced they are any mystery.

    Nice heavy metal music in the background of the video, if you like that sort of thing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    It's called an Uniform resource Locator or "URL", for short.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3
    Apologies about the language, and thanks for the welcome.
    The poster of the video is claiming it to be Planet X, but obviously that's just the conspiracy theorists clutching at straws.

    I'm just interested to find out what it is from people who actually know what they're talking about, as tbh I've never seen an object as bright as that on it before.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    19,986
    Planets or stars (or possibly comets, but unlikely). There are several pages at the Stereo site that describe various artifacts. The general page is here:

    http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/artifacts/artifacts.shtml

    And quoting from this page:

    http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/artifact..._planets.shtml

    In the HI1 and HI2 images, planet images and particularly bright stars will also be accompanied by vertical streaks (either white or black), which is due to the shutterless readout of the cameras on these telescopes. Most planets will move from left to right, but the inner planets Mercury and Venus often are seen moving from right to left.

    Occasionally, even bright comets can cause vertical streaks in the data. Here is an image of Comet McNaught as it appears in HI1-B on the SSC website. Note the large dark vertical dark streak, and the smeared brightness toward the bottom of the image, both effects caused by the high brightness of this particular comet. Advanced techniques exist for removing some of these effects from the images, but these are not applied routinely on the SSC website.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,015
    I think the author of the film is not being very accurate on his representations of where the various satellites are placed. The impression he gives is they are relatively close to earth but that is not the case. He also does not show the positions of the two inner planets for an obvious reason IMO.

    I went to the Stereo website and they have an orbit plot generator:

    http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/wh..._where_gif.php

    I entered 04-17-10 at 0000 UT and got the following plot:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereopositions0&.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	12946

    Note the position of Mercury. For the behind satellite, it would appear to the right of the sun. For the ahead satellite, it would appear to the left of the sun. It would change positions relative to the stars since it is relatively close.

    IMO, this shows the planet Mercury.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,063

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by astrophotographer View Post
    I think the author of the film is not being very accurate on his representations of where the various satellites are placed. The impression he gives is they are relatively close to earth but that is not the case. He also does not show the positions of the two inner planets for an obvious reason IMO.

    I went to the Stereo website and they have an orbit plot generator:

    http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/wh..._where_gif.php

    I entered 04-17-10 at 0000 UT and got the following plot:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stereopositions0&.gif 
Views:	208 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	12946

    Note the position of Mercury. For the behind satellite, it would appear to the right of the sun. For the ahead satellite, it would appear to the left of the sun. It would change positions relative to the stars since it is relatively close.

    IMO, this shows the planet Mercury.
    Swamp gas-that was easy--next

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    586
    Heavy metal music is whole inappropriate for a G2V star.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    289
    And that video linked to another funny one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPJR...900&feature=iv

    This one features a lot of video taken of the sun through clouds (allowing the camera to properly record a disc despite the sun's brightness, just as happens with the naked eye), and then there's a clip claiming to show a "second sun." Yet I for one can see no reason not to interpret his "second sun" as the sun. Looks like it's in the same place to me, and of course there are far better ways to go about looking for a second sun! Sunrise and sunset come first to mind, considering that even tiny Mercury becomes visible at those times. So silly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    15,682
    I think it's satire. Evanescence lyrics from the song:

    Save me from the nothing I've become.
    Bring me to life.
    (I've been living a lie. There's nothing inside)
    Bring me to life


    The author is saying to other CT movie posters: get a life! And if he isn't... that's how it comes across. Shouldn't have picked a song just because you liked it, bud.
    ____________
    "Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side." -- Frank Zappa
    "Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
    "This is really very simple, but unfortunately it's very complicated." -- publius

    Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozola View Post
    Heavy metal music is whole inappropriate for a G2V star.
    My thoughts exactly. Haha.

    [deep heavy metal voice] M DWARFS!!!! [enter guitar solo]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Weltraum View Post
    And that video linked to another funny one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPJR...900&feature=iv

    This one features a lot of video taken of the sun through clouds (allowing the camera to properly record a disc despite the sun's brightness, just as happens with the naked eye), and then there's a clip claiming to show a "second sun." Yet I for one can see no reason not to interpret his "second sun" as the sun. Looks like it's in the same place to me, and of course there are far better ways to go about looking for a second sun! Sunrise and sunset come first to mind, considering that even tiny Mercury becomes visible at those times. So silly.
    I think this individual has some serious problems with reality. What does he expect, the second sun was only present in this universe for a minute or so (and only from his location when they happened to be recording it) and then disappeared?

Similar Threads

  1. Thing One and Thing Two with Ton's o' Spoilers
    By BigDon in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2012-Mar-10, 06:21 PM
  2. What the heck did I just see
    By H4wkeye in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2011-Jun-17, 12:58 PM
  3. What The Heck!
    By FatMike1990 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2007-Jan-21, 11:02 PM
  4. What the heck is that?
    By MAPNUT in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-13, 09:43 PM
  5. What the heck??
    By N C More in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2004-Jul-12, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •