Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really exist ?

Do we really exist ?

Is our existance an illusion ? I know this can be construde as a matrix thing but, how do we know that we physically exist ?

We seem to be able, given the right application, to be able to create a life that we feel is real.

I've read that we only utilise about 10% of of brain power, what is the rest for ?

We all dream, have aspirations, but are they real. Do we have the power to aspire to our dreams and what about those that do not ? What is the difference ?

Some people move along in their existence only to amount to nothing. Others move on to greater things. We have the same brains, but does everybody know how you use it to its full potential ?

It would appear that we are alone in the universe, we do not have the capability to go where we would like to.

Time constrains what we are able to acheive.

But we still strive to say that "We are not alone".

We might not be, but, we dont have the capability to know that.

Finding life on another planet seems real to us, but what do we know ? Life in another world could be something that we dont know about.

Life is/should/must be out there, however we do not recognise it. Everything is relative to us.

And at the end of the day, what are we able to do about it ? Absolutely nothing.............

If anybody can tell me different or give me solid proof that we do exist.

There is no proof, there is no other life that will be relavent to us out there in the universe. If there is, we cant get there, and why have they not been in contact with us?

This may be basic but can anybody prove that I am wrong ?

We expect life to be be how we can perceive it. It could be right in front of us but we would not recognise it. Prove i'm wrong, but if you do, you couldn't be sure of it could you !

A lot of you will be thinking what am I going on about. Think about it, we do not have the capability to go where we would like to ! We perceive what it would be like ! That is all relative to us. Life elsewhere could be air, gas, rock, wind. How do we know, how do we know that we are not perceived as the same....

To find other life within the universe we need to be compatible and whats the likelihood of that ? It could be staring us in the face but how are we to recognise it ?

It would be nice to perceive that there is more out there, but, are you positive that we could recognise it, probably not.

We are inquisitive, we want to believe that we are not alone, however, we are. And to other life forms they are as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Clayden View Post
    ...I've read that we only utilise about 10% of of brain power, what is the rest for ? ...
    We also only use about 10% of our Kidneys. Coincident?

I've read that we only utilise about 10% of of brain power, what is the rest for ?
    I'm afraid that this is a particularly popular myth, much beloved of new-agers and scientologists. The sad fact is that we appear to utilise nearly 100% of our brain. Have a look at Snopes.

depends what you mean by "exist".

Quote Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
    I'm afraid that this is a particularly popular myth, much beloved of new-agers and scientologists. The sad fact is that we appear to utilise nearly 100% of our brain. Have a look at Snopes.
    So, is that what you really believe ? Say that we do utilise 100% of our brains, then we can only acheive what we think is acheivable to us. You wouldn't be on this site is you thought otherwise !

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    depends what you mean by "exist".
    Exist is how we as an individual perceives what is going on around us, this is why we have forums like this, please be more constructive.......

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    We also only use about 10% of our Kidneys. Coincident?
    Fascinating. Could you not think of anything else constructive ?

Think about it, we do not have the capability to go where we would like to !
    I dunno about you, but I would like to go to my refrigerator.

[goes to refrigerator, returns with glass of juice]

Looks like I have the capability to go where I would like to.

Exist is how we as an individual perceives what is going on around us, this is why we have forums like this, please be more constructive.......
    well, as the word "exist" is quite an important component of your question, I thought that it would be important to debate its meaning.

Fascinating. Could you not think of anything else constructive ?
    Just pointing out the fact that even if the myth were true, that the extra capacity is not some magical extra capability.

well, as the word "exist" is quite an important component of your question, I thought that it would be important to debate its meaning.
    Don't be semantic, exist is as only as we perceive it. Our existence may not be seen or relative to somebody/thing observing us.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Just pointing out the fact that even if the myth were true, that the extra capacity is not some magical extra capability.

Can you state as a matter of fact that this is correct ?

We exist, therefore we believe that other things can too.

Quote Originally Posted by DataCable View Post
    I dunno about you, but I would like to go to my refrigerator.

[goes to refrigerator, returns with glass of juice]

Looks like I have the capability to go where I would like to.
    Good for you.

If only others peoples brains worked in the same format..........

Enjoy your juice............

Quote Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
    Sorry, does snopes have the answer ??????????????

Can you state as a matter of fact that this is correct ?
    I personally can not, but can the reverse be stated as a matter of fact? No. So there is no point in arguing this particular point. Until we can say that the brain has this extra power, and we have a way to utilize the extra power, then we can't argue the usage of this extra power. We must first delve into the question on whether or not it does exist before we can use it as a basis for other discussions.

We exist, therefore we believe that other things can too.
    The mug on my desk exists. Because it reflects electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum, I can observe it visually. I can examine it's surface characteristics tactilely. It has mass, and therefore due to gravitational interaction with the mass of the earth, weight, which I can detect as resistance when I lift it. It both absorbs and emits thermal energy. Because of these observations I can state with confidence that the mug does indeed exist.

Is it your contention that my sensory inputs are being falsified so as to make me believe that this mug exists when it does not?

If only others peoples brains worked in the same format.
    I'm quite certain a great many other people's brains work in that format, particularly those that are hungry.

Enjoy your juice.
    I did, thank you.

Sorry, does snopes have the answer ??????????????
    Yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by DataCable View Post
    The mug on my desk exists. Because it reflects electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum, I can observe it visually. I can examine it's surface characteristics tactilely. It has mass, and therefore due to gravitational interaction with the mass of the earth, weight, which I can detect as resistance when I lift it. It both absorbs and emits thermal energy. Because of these observations I can state with confidence that the mug does indeed exist.

Is it your contention that my sensory inputs are being falsified so as to make me believe that this mug exists when it does not?

I'm quite certain a great many other people's brains work in that format, particularly those that are hungry.

I did, thank you.

Are we alone in the universe ?

Glad you enjoyed your juice.......

Are we alone in the universe ?
    Of course not, we have each other.

What does this have to do with the titular question of "Do we exist?"

I exist. We had a question similar to that in my philosophy class. I think a being even considering the question exists. It means that you would be self-aware. Do I think we are alone in the universe? No. Can I prove it? No. There's no support for "we are alone" as much as there is no support for "we are not alone" (mind you, this is my interpretation). We just don't have enough evidence to say either way. I think, "we are here, so why wouldn't there be others?" Call it optimism.

Our brains are not static lumps of matter; neural connections can change and re-route to different pathways to cope with disease or damage, it has plasticity. It has the advantage of being able to absorb new information and put it to use, to correlate and compare experiences to form conclusions and to imagine. Our brain is used to keep bodily functions operational during sleep; it performs a kind of maintenance during sleep to sort & store information and re-energize. That's part of why sleep is important. Studies show that a severe lack of sleep has bad consequences on the mind and body. Also, people who use different parts of their brain show higher complexity in those areas. For instance, taxi drivers tend to have a more developed area of their brain that is related to spatial coordination. Your brain gets better as you use it.

Exclamation

Is our existance an illusion ? I know this can be construde as a matrix thing but, how do we know that we physically exist ?

We seem to be able, given the right application, to be able to create a life that we feel is real.

We all dream, have aspirations, but are they real. Do we have the power to aspire to our dreams and what about those that do not ? What is the difference ?

Some people move along in their existence only to amount to nothing. Others move on to greater things. We have the same brains, but does everybody know how you use it to its full potential ?

It would appear that we are alone in the universe, we do not have the capability to go where we would like to.

Finding life on another planet seems real to us, but what do we know ? Life in another world could be something that we dont know about.

Life is/should/must be out there, however we do not recognise it. Everything is relative to us.

And at the end of the day, what are we able to do about it ? Absolutely nothing.............

There is no proof, there is no other life that will be relavent to us out there in the universe. If there is, we cant get there, and why have they not been in contact with us?

We expect life to be be how we can perceive it. It could be right in front of us but we would not recognise it. Prove i'm wrong, but if you do, you couldn't be sure of it could you !
    Not to sound disowning (or to mock) in anyway, but this does seem a bit pessemistic

Ok well this is all fine, but the answer seems pretty simple, as i do beleive we exist, and it is not a question of do we exist but to question how existence became, which i think we all know is the big bang (which i complety trust)

Now, we exist because we can think for our-selves and the fact that we have thoughts like this. And I don't know how much this would help you but i beleive that if our existence was permanent then maybe that would prove that we wer some kind of illusion, but seeing as how we are temporary, i think that would mean we have a reason for existing!

Now about your question of other existence in the universe(s). quite simply put, without all the numbers and probabilities and mumbo jumbo of mind boggling chances, this universe is quite to big to not have even have, wether it's simply single celled organisms, microscopic flesh eating parasites, or complex beings (or more complex) than ourselves.

One last thought that i just came up with pertaining to my statement about us and more complex beings, this is also a reason we exist,.... like i just have, i thought about what we don't know, we might be simple to any other being. Now the fact that we can think of something wether we can comprehend it or not, proves that our minds are thinking deep thoughts. I don't think anybody but me will understand what i just said, it helps me tho (hard to explain). If you know what i mean post a message. peace

p.s.- sean, i do seem to run into you or see your posts alot, i geuss we have some similar interests, just sayin, peace

Do we " Exist"?

..the definition of exist .... "to be real ; to have life ; to be present under certain circumstances or in a specified place.."

To believe that we exist is easy... to prove that we exist ....
    .... we need scientific explanation....

In terms of living here on earth .. we can say that we "exist"..

You exist is someone believes that you do.

I drink, therefore I am.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Re: Do we really exist ?

[edit]This may be basic but can anybody prove that I am wrong ?...
    It's your proposal. You prove it right.

Meanwhile the position of the OPer seems to be very close to solipsism. Perhaps some supporting material might be found here.

Easy as pie.

Find yourself a functioning firearm, load up the clip full of ammunition, and place the barrell directly into your mouth. Make sure the weapon is pointing upward towards your brain. Squeeze the trigger as much as you can -- if you're still there, wondering if you're real or not, then boy, you proved me wrong. Congrats.

boy...

thats a tragic example......