Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mlb 2007

Mlb 2007

Well, baseball season is drawing near. Time to dust off those gloves and cook up some hotdogs as the Mrs. bakes some apple-pie. Or something like that.

Baseball is one of those silly sports where during the off-season I find it boring and ...well, just boring. Not like Football which I always love. But once the season fires up it's hard not to get excited about it.

I thought I'd brows Fox Sports' "Power Rankings" just to see how my lowly Indians are expected to play. Well, they have them ranked #2. Kinda mixed feelings about that; it's great to see our team put up there and shown some respect. But being the very pessemistic fan one becomes after rooting for ANY cleveland sports team, all I can think is "Great, from the top there's only one dirrection to travel--down!". I almost would rather see them forcast as the middle of the pack team. Oh well, play ball!

For Red Sox nation, it will be interesting to see if Dice-K can live up to his billing (and paycheck!)

How bout dem Cubs?

A local columnist, Ken Hoffman, always uses this time of year to bring out an old (and admittedly bad) joke.

If your team loses its first home game, it won't be able to serve beer for the rest of the season. Why?

Because it would have lost its opener.

(All together now. Groan!)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Based on what we saw in Spring Training, the Red Sox have good pitching and very weak hitting (a bit of a reversal from recent years).
    Forming opinions as we speak

re: Tribe

I will go offer a prayer at my shrine to 'Immortal' Joe Azcue, Fred 'Wingy' Whitfield and 'Stunning' Steve Dunning.

Re: Mlb 2007

I will do likewise, re the Mets, at the Most Holy Tabernacle of the Marvelous Marvin Eugene Thronberry.

Can't anyone here play this game?

- Casey Stengel, 1962

Go Tigers!

I'm excited to see if the Tigers can continue their magic from last season. Maroth is back, but Kenny Rogers already found his way to the 15 day DL.

Was last year a fluke? Time will tell.

If anyone remembers my general complaining and whining over getting the shaft from the Baseball package and DirectTV (they told us we'd be recieving NO Tribe games - the only reason we bought the package - AFTER we'd paid, and refused to give us a refund), we got a nice email on our digital cable system yesterday (yes, we switched ) - ALL Indians games will be broadcast for free on a new channel!

OH.YES.BABY!!!

I expect the discussions about Bonds to get really hot as he closes in on the HR mark.

Anybody read that book, In the Shadows, or something like that. I've heard a little about it, but not much. Apparently a pretty well researched read about rampant use of steroids in baseball, including very damning evidence on Bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitude View Post
    If anyone remembers my general complaining and whining over getting the shaft from the Baseball package and DirectTV (they told us we'd be recieving NO Tribe games - the only reason we bought the package - AFTER we'd paid, and refused to give us a refund), we got a nice email on our digital cable system yesterday (yes, we switched ) - ALL Indians games will be broadcast for free on a new channel!

OH.YES.BABY!!!
    Yeah, satelite and for the most part digital cable is ruining sports. I understand having to buy one of those outragously expensive sports packages if you want to get ALL the games. But when they make it so you can't even get the local team games without buying a package, that's just wrong. I was loving it when the FCC was talking about forcing cable companies to offer the option to just purchase certian channels. Hopefully one day that will come true.

I don't really follow mlb, I'm more a hockey nut. I will say Go Jays! The biggest issue for them, the past few seasons, has had to be bullpen depth. They have one heck of a batting lineup though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    I will do likewise, re the Mets, at the Most Holy Tabernacle of the Marvelous Marvin Eugene Thronberry.
    Okay Mak, you've made me dig into my Casey Stengel quotes.

"We've (1962 New York Mets) got to learn to stay out of triple plays."
    "We (the Mets) are a much improved ball club, now we lose in extra innings!"
    "This club (1969 New York Mets) plays better baseball now. Some of them look fairly alert."
    Go Astros!

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon View Post
    I expect the discussions about Bonds to get really hot as he closes in on the HR mark.
    Now there will be a well-deserved asterisk!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
    Okay Mak, you've made me dig into my Casey Stengel quotes.[edit]
    "This club (1969 New York Mets) plays better baseball now. Some of them look fairly alert."
    ... Go Astros!
    Funny, that 1969 squad won the World Series! Managed by Gil Hodges.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon View Post
    Bleh, I'll be focused on another future Hall of Famer as he approaches 3,000 hits, the Astros' Craig Biggio.

For us Mariners fans, hope springs anew every April. And dies about two weeks later. This year about half the players are guys I never heard of.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

18. 2007-Mar-31, 01:50 PM

Bleh, I'll be focused on another future Hall of Famer as he approaches 3,000 hits, the Astros' Craig Biggio.
    I think you can already find his photo in the MLB Big Book of Words and Phrases, under "Class Act."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    For us Mariners fans, hope springs anew every April. And dies about two weeks later. This year about half the players are guys I never heard of.
    Edgar Martinez.

The Greatest Ever.

My Edgar collection is HUGE

Edgar Martinez.

The Greatest Ever.

The greatest what? Designated hitter? That's not real baseball!!

I admit he was a very good hitter, but he was well below average with the glove in his less that 600 games in the field. He was a full-time DH for over 1,400 games. Playing his entire career as a Mariner is a admirable trait in these days of free agency, much like my favorite players Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio.

It will be interesting to see how the voters will react in a few years when he is eligible for the Hall of Fame ballot. My take is he will come up short.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    There is a slight advantage to having moved 2,000 from the northwest: I have to search for Mariners scores. Unfortunately, I only get a small number of season games per year to watch on TV, and they're all vs. the White Sox. I did stumble across the Cubs game last night, top of the ninth, but missed the final score. I can't bring myself to look it up.

The greatest what? Designated hitter? That's not real baseball!!
    Agreed.

What are the fielding stats for a DH?

An American League aberration of real baseball.

National League's where REAL baseball is at.

24. 2007-Apr-01, 10:57 AM

Reason
    duplicate

Edgar Martinez.

The Greatest Ever.

At least the greatest Mariner ever. Whatever you think about the DH rule, he adapted to it and made the most of himself under it. All while staying with his original team an being an all around good guy. He may indeed come up short for the Hall of Fame but he'd get my vote.

Speaking of the DH, I wish they'd play the inter-league games under the visiting team's rules. That'd be more entertaining for the fans, especially the AL fans who'd get to see the pitchers hit! (Or attempt to hit!)
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Strange that people want to penalize Edgar for playing by the rules. MLB made the rule, and cleanly, with a sense of class now missing from the game, made himself the paragon of the position. You may not agree with the rule, but he's still the best there's ever been at the position. But that's just part of the equation. The intangibles that make a 'great' player a legend are all there in Edgar. Soft-spoken, hard working, dedicated to his community. Loyalty to a team and a community. All of the traits you'd want in a HOF'er are there.

Strange that people want to penalize Edgar for playing by the rules. MLB made the rule, and cleanly, with a sense of class now missing from the game, made himself the paragon of the position....
    Thanks to the American League rules, the only position he plays is on the bench.

Strange that people want to penalize Edgar for playing by the rules.
    I don't want to penalize him at all. He was a great hitter. Hitting is only one part of baseball. And even if he didn't subject himself to the rigors of actually playing a position, his numbers still come up short in career value when speaking of his Hall of Fame candidacy, IMO.

with a sense of class now missing from the game
    That's a mighty large brush you're using there, and its offensive to hundreds of current players who actually meet that criteria.

You may not agree with the rule, but he's still the best there's ever been at the position.
    Thats my point, DH is not a position, other than being a position in the batting order.

But that's just part of the equation. The intangibles that make a 'great' player a legend are all there in Edgar. Soft-spoken, hard working, dedicated to his community. Loyalty to a team and a community. All of the traits you'd want in a HOF'er are there.
    I agree.

I don't want to penalize him at all. He was a great hitter. Hitting is only one part of baseball.
    Quick, what was Whitey Ford's batting average? Nolan Ryan's? Or, better still, what was Babe Ruth's fielding percentage?

Yes, hitting is only one part of the equation. But, there are many members of the Hall who excelled in only one aspect.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Quick, what was Whitey Ford's batting average? Nolan Ryan's? Or, better still, what was Babe Ruth's fielding percentage?
    And they all played a position on the field. I understand what you mean, but a DH is just a glorified pinch-hitter. A part timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yes, hitting is only one part of the equation. But, there are many members of the Hall who excelled in only one aspect.
    Excelled in one aspect but also accomplished enough to stay on the field. Edgar Martinez wasn't good enough to play a position, despite his excellent bat. So he became a full-time DH.

Several other players will be put to the DH test in the coming years also. Frank Thomas comes to mind.

Several other players will be put to the DH test in the coming years also. Frank Thomas comes to mind.
    David Ortiz is another.

I'm a Red Sox fan (to a degree... that is I think of the Yankees as 'worthy opponents' as opposed to 'the evil empire'), but I also would prefer to see the DH rule go away.
    Forming opinions as we speak

There are those who will argue that being a DH is tougher in some ways than being a field player who takes his bats.

The field player is involved in the game for a full half inning, spends half an inning on the bench with the other field players talking about it, and takes a turn at bat every second or third inning.

The DH sits on the bench - alone, basically - for a half inning, spends half an inning sitting with the field players listening to them talk, and takes a turn at bat every second or third inning. It's much harder to stay "in the game" under those conditions, harder to feel a part of the team.

Whatever you do for a living, imagine going to work one day and being told to sit in the corner. You can watch everyone else working, but you just sit. Then, every so often, they tell you to "get over here and see if you can do this." After which, it's back to the corner again, either to celebrate your success alone or fret over your failure with no way to "work through" it.

Being a DH can be frustrating and difficult. Being a successful one can be a major contribution to your team's success. Don't put down the DH just because he doesn't play the field, too.

Oh, and for the record, I don't care for the DH rule. I think it takes away from the strategy of the game.

And I love to watch pitchers try to bat!
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who