Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mars Express is go...

Mars Express is go...

Phew. But lots of critical mission points coming up. And I wish they hadn't arranged the Beagle 2 landing for Xmas Day. Makes it kind of hard to pay attention.

Quite an interesting mission. Exactly what is entailed, anyone have a copy of the mission's procedure?

Do you think this one will mysteriously go offline like phobos 2 and mars observer?

Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRA
    Quite an interesting mission. Exactly what is entailed, anyone have a copy of the mission's procedure?
    http://sci.esa.int/marsexpress/
    http://www.beagle2.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRA
    Do you think this one will mysteriously go offline like phobos 2 and mars observer?
    Um. I hope not. But who can anticipate the appetite of The Great Galactic Ghoul? It eats Russian spacecraft, for sure, it's a bit iffy about Americans, but we don't know how it feels about Europe. Let's just do the experiment and see.

Its taste buds are definitely set for Soviet craft and Russian craft, and every now and then it has an American snack. Who knows how it will react to European cuisine?

maybe they should be putting cloves of garlic on the hull to ward off the evil space demons?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim
    Its taste buds are definitely set for Soviet craft and Russian craft, and every now and then it has an American snack. Who knows how it will react to European cuisine?
    Well, our British lander should be OK, then - we really don't have a great reputation in the realm of haute or any other sort of cuisine. We'll get spat out like a deep-fried battered Mars Bar (...should be). But, if your theory is true, then the orbiter could be in trouble. Tasty.

Oh, don't forget, it might get to sample Japanese next year, too.

MER-1 & MER-2 glyphs of warding...

Beagle should have treaded this path!

Quote Originally Posted by freddo
    MER-1 & MER-2 glyphs of warding...

Beagle should have treaded this path!
    But we have our own mystic incantations. We have sent many talismans, including a colour chart from Damien Hirst, a call-sign from Blur and a can of red paint from Ferrari.

But what will grip the UK is the concept that we will be able to roll around sozzled on Xmas Day cackling 'The Beagle has landed'. (You only really need one bad joke on Xmas Day).

Having said that, I will be biting my fingernails for the MER-A and -B launches too. I think you're next on bat this Sunday, in fact..?

Will it have a camera and telescope so it can take photos of asteroids, Earth, Moon?

this thread is making me hungry. Pizza anyone? :-)

Is this the first probe with european experiments or were some experiments part of American probes?

I hope this won't make you more hungry but there were som Danish magnetic experiments aboard Pathfinder i 1997. See for an example her:
    http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary...th/magnet.html or here:http://ntserv.fys.ku.dk/mars/. There were similar experiments aboard the Mars Polar Lander, which unfortunately failed during landing, and the Danish Mars Group are currently working on an experiment for the Mars Exploration Rovers.

Quote Originally Posted by planethollywood
    maybe they should be putting cloves of garlic on the hull to ward off the evil space demons?
    But garlic might just make it tastier!

I'm just a-tizzy with anticipation for the upcoming year (though admittedly, that year has to start in December for me to put it like that). Mars Express/Beagle-2 will just be the first excitement to hit! There hasn't been a year of Mars exploration half as full as this one. Mars Express, Beagle 2, MER-A, MER-B, and Nozomi will all arrive! And Mars GLobal Surveyor and Mars Odyssey 2001 will still be in operation, churning out science constantly. Meanwhile, Cassini/Huygens is approaching Saturn, and is due to arrive in July of 2004. Next year is going to be fabulous.

Time to dust off the ol' sense of wonder, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by calliarcale
    I'm just a-tizzy with anticipation for the upcoming year (though admittedly, that year has to start in December for me to put it like that). Mars Express/Beagle-2 will just be the first excitement to hit! There hasn't been a year of Mars exploration half as full as this one. Mars Express, Beagle 2, MER-A, MER-B, and Nozomi will all arrive! And Mars GLobal Surveyor and Mars Odyssey 2001 will still be in operation, churning out science constantly. Meanwhile, Cassini/Huygens is approaching Saturn, and is due to arrive in July of 2004. Next year is going to be fabulous.

Time to dust off the ol' sense of wonder, methinks.
    I totally agree! I haven't been this excited about a mission since Pathfinder landed in '97. The only problem is that with so many missions it will be tough to keep up. But I like these kind of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by calliarcale
    It does look like a whole renaissance in space-based science is going on over these couple of years. Besides the Mars/Saturn encounters, Stardust encounters comet Wild 2 in January and there should be at least two lunar orbiters in operation by the end of 2004 (Japanese and European).

And, of course, further launches are scheduled. Rosetta seems to be back on track, Messenger goes off next March (first Mercury probe since Mariner 10), and Deep Impact lifts off later that year. Plus of course, there are plenty of large and small observatory craft planned like SIRTF (last of the Great Observatories - due to launch this August) and SWIFT.

If all goes well, momentous times...

Mars Express orbiter after more then 10 years in orbit around Mars still gives fantastic views of Mars.

A new video from the European Space Agency takes us on an imaginary helicopter ride through the Atlantis Chaos region of Mars.

http://www.popsci.com/fly-over-mars-esa-animation

Thread necromancy of the highest level, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Motie View Post
    Thread necromancy of the highest level, impressive.
    took some searching

Mars Express took some nice pictures of Phobos on 14/01/2016 looking for a landing spot for a Russian mission in 2026!!!

https://thespacereporter.com/2016/01...ussian-lander/

Now Emily Lakdawalla gives us the best wider views that Mars Express' High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) has taken when much farther away from Mars on Mars Express' highly ellptical orbit.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...s-express.html

Geologist and amateur space image processor Justin Cowart has been taking a dive into Mars Express' High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) data lately and posting some of the results on his Flickr page. The best science from HRSC has been done on their highest-resolution pictures, taken close to the planet, but I really enjoy the wider views that HRSC takes when much farther away from Mars on Mars Express' highly ellptical orbit.

I'm not sure I can recall a prettier picture of the four great volcanoes of Mars' Tharsis region:

Awesome photos. The north pole one is great although it is a mirror image.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I haven't seen Grand Vizier in awhile here. (the OP)

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I haven't seen Grand Vizier in awhile here. (the OP)
    According to his profile he has not been active since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    Awesome photos. The north pole one is great although it is a mirror image.
    See if you like it taken with the Visual Monitoring Camera

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...c-is-back.html

Mars Express' Visual Monitoring Camera is taking photos again! The camera has been powered off since last September, while Mars Express went through a low-power period due to its orbital path taking it through Mars' shadow. But the eclipse period is coming to an end, and the camera was turned on for the first time on Leap Day to take some lovely photos of Mars. I stacked a few of them and cleaned up the result to make this pretty portrait of the red planet:

That you can see all of the north polar cap tells you that it's northern summer; Mars' northern summer solstice was January 3. It's actually not too different from the season at which Curiosity arrived on Mars, not quite two Mars years ago. Speaking of Curiosity, you can see Gale crater in this portrait of Mars. Here's an annotated view:

Sorry it is the same photo. From the description I mistakenly thought it was something new

looks like a different photo to me. One is a strip, the other is most of the planet. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the north polar cap (the focus of my PhD thesis )
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

looks like a different photo to me. One is a strip, the other is most of the planet. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the north polar cap (the focus of my PhD thesis )
    Glad I did not mess up by reposting an old photograph. Good luck with the PhD. Hope MOM and Mars Express post a few more snaps of the North Pole for you.

Some bad news about another Mars venture:

Exo-Mars is to use the troubled Briz-M
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/briz-m.html

Looks like this photo is made for you. It is the north pole of Mars

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Swi..._Mars_999.html

A new mosaic from ESA's Mars Express shows off the Red Planet's north polar ice cap and its distinctive dark spiralling troughs. The mosaic was generated from 32 individual orbit 'strips' captured between 2004 and 2010, and covers an area of around a million square kilometres.

The ice cap is a permanent fixture, but in the winter season - as it is now in early 2017 - temperatures are cold enough for around 30 percent of the carbon dioxide in the planet's atmosphere to precipitate onto the cap, adding a seasonal layer up to a metre thick.

During the warmer summer months most of the carbon dioxide ice turns directly into gas and escapes into the atmosphere, leaving behind the water-ice layers.

Strong winds are thought to have played an important role in shaping the ice cap over time, blowing from the elevated centre towards its lower edges and twisted by the same Coriolis force that causes hurricanes to spiral on Earth.

One particularly prominent feature is a 500 km-long, 2 km-deep trench that almost cuts the cap in two.

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Looks like this photo is made for you. It is the north pole of Mars

http://www.marsdaily.com/reports/Swi..._Mars_999.html
    You can actually say that much of that mosaic was made for me.
    http://www.space.com/33001-mars-ice-age-ending-now.html

The one in my link was put together last spring in preparation for a press release. I think the imaging people completed it recently in your link.