Thread: Face on Mars 2007 (from MRO thread)

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    Five new HiRISE images at Primary Science Phase Images, 2007 April 11, Release 21.
    Make that six. They slipped in an extra image after I looked: a certain famous mesa in a region called Cydonia.

0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

I hate to say it, but you know, it still looks like a face. A lot less like a face, but yeah, I can still see it.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

At low resolution, I don't think anyone would say "that doesn't look like a face". But as the BA writes in his face article, there is a difference between saying "looks like a face" and "it is a face"

But crank it up to 29.9cm/pixel, and it's just dunes, boulders and outcrops.

Doug

@ parallaxicality
    A little yes, but if you think this looks like a face it is because you remember the original pictures too well in your subconsiousness or that you can make almost anything out of some natural images. My parents have a painting on their walk, which is just some mixed colours, but asking me i believe i can see a woman rejecting a guy who is purposing and a dog laughing at him. Coincidence or...:surprised

The face looks rather simian to me. Mars must have been the original Planet of the Apes!

Well, downloading the JEPG-2000 version pretty much sinks it. If that's a "face," them martians were astoundingly ugly folk. No wonder they went extinct. Who'd want to procreate with that?!?

Yeah, kinda squared faces:surprised

I pulled out the relevant posts from the MRO thread since I expect continuing discussion, starting with this from the Planetary Society blog:

Recognizing the real face of Mars

I think that while I believed in the "Face" I could not have had the dream job I do today. I would not know the joy I know today, the joy that comes from seeing Mars not as I use to want it to be, but Mars as it really is. This is the real Mars, far more exciting and full of wonder and mystery than Hoagland's fantasy version.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

After reading Sporally's post, I tried to look at it while suppressing previous Face memories. Now it looks like the tip of a thumb: "Thumbs down" on the Face claim.

Well, it does look like a face, but whether or not it is a face can only be decided by first hand examination.

I don't think pictures are adequate.
    Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins. Which of the two has the greater view?

Didn't Hoagland claim that NASA nuked the face after the viking mission wiping out all evidences

Quote Originally Posted by Manchurian Taikonaut View Post
    Didn't Hoagland claim that NASA nuked the face after the viking mission wiping out all evidences
    Some people have claimed that that was Mars Observer's real mission, but I don't think Hoagland is one of them.

Hoagie is now saying that if you turn that (the latest MRO) image upside down, it looks like a grey alien. I can sort of see it -- look the bottom -- you can sort of see "big head" going to down to a little point. He is promising a big "analysis" of it soon on his website.

-Richard

Quote Originally Posted by publius View Post
    Hoagie is now saying that if you turn that (the latest MRO) image upside down, it looks like a grey alien. I can sort of see it -- look the bottom -- you can sort of see "big head" going to down to a little point. He is promising a big "analysis" of it soon on his website.

-Richard
    Oh, wonderful. The original reason for all the fuss is the low-res Viking image taken at a particular angle. Now that high-res images show it to be rather obviously just a pile of rock when viewed in that direction, don't give up, just say "Aha! It's upside down."

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

APOD April 21, 2007
    3D Face on Mars
    Explanation: Get out your red/blue glasses and gaze down on this weathered mesa on Mars...

Do you see the nostrils?
    They are easily detectable in this new picture!

Correct APOD 2007 April 21 link. The link you posted points to current day's picture.

I didn't realize that viewing MRO images would be that difficult because of the huge image size. The preview image doesn't have the high resolution. It would be nice if the HIRES imaging team added some full resolution samples before the image is added in the zoomify image list.

Van Rijn, I looked at the pic upside down it was picture of martian !!!!
    Last edited by general_fault; 2007-Apr-27 at 01:32 PM. Reason: mistyped

Hello to everyone, new member here! I have seen so many different images of the "face", and depending on the picture, resolution, etc., I have to say, I really don't know.

Nice to see so much discussion here that is fact-based, but a little speculation is always a good thing IMO.

CB

that pic looks like a martians landing site
    or startrek voyager trapped under moondust ?

I was looking through a few old photo's of mine and I think I found the real face on Mars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. 2007-May-11, 10:54 PM