Thread: The sky is falling

The sky is falling

Found this on another message board. Thought it might be good for a chuckle.

SUPERNOVA FROM EXPERIMENTATION AT FERMILAB

The current energy levels at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory have been increased from 1.2 TeV to 33 TeV (trillion electron volts) for the the Tevatron 2 trials scheduled for this March or April 2001.
    Please check the Luminoisty Webpage at Fermilab to verify this enormous increase.

Clearly, this is enough energy to access those energies resident in de Sitter space thus producing a supernova. This is termed a Type Ia supernova and is used as a standard candle for distance estimates in observational astronomy.

Even though research is often risky this is an unacceptable risk since supernova production will destroy everything out to a perimeter of some 50 light years.

Please contact me at <dixon@hawaii.edu> for further information. Go to: ( Paul Dixon Supernova) on Google.com or (Paul W. Dixon supernova) as well to check various webpages on this topic.

Yours sincerely,

Paul W. Dixon, Ph.D.
    Supernova from Experimentation

there was a long thread about Fermilab creating a blackhole, now first we need to create a star to create a supernova.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eric_marsh View Post
    Paul W. Dixon, Ph.D.
    From a little googling, it seems he's been spreading (more like spamming) this "form letter" around for years. Also, here's a page on him:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~dixon/PaulDixonCV.html

He was born in '36, has a Ph.D. in psychology, but claims to have been "Nominated for Nobel Prize in Physics, 1986, 1995, 1998." Nominated by who, I wonder?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by davidlpf View Post
    there was a long thread about Fermilab creating a blackhole, now first we need to create a star to create a supernova.
    You mean we can put a man on the moon, probes on many planets, moons, and even a comet; but we can't create a star yet?

I thought that is what we were paying all those people for.

Is it a political/funding type problem?

I think it would be a great idea to try to create a type 1a supernova at Fermilab. We would really be helping extra terrestrial astronomers by providing them with a new standard candle in this region of space. If we can't work out how this universe works ourselves, maybe we can help somebody else do it!

It's just a pity that we don't have the energy to do it, although we might be able to manage an angstronova which would create radiation lethal to any living thing within a 50 angstrom radius.

No - I didn't look..

PhD in Psychology - nominated in Physics (not impossible)..

where did he get his Doctorate? Warner Brothers?

Re: The sky is falling

Quote Originally Posted by eric_marsh View Post
    Found this on another message board. Thought it might be good for a chuckle.

SUPERNOVA FROM EXPERIMENTATION AT FERMILAB

The current energy levels at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory have been increased from 1.2 TeV to 33 TeV (trillion electron volts) for the the Tevatron 2 trials scheduled for this March or April 2001.
    Please check the Luminoisty Webpage at Fermilab to verify this enormous increase.

Clearly, this is enough energy to access those energies resident in de Sitter space thus producing a supernova. This is termed a Type Ia supernova and is used as a standard candle for distance estimates in observational astronomy.

Even though research is often risky this is an unacceptable risk since supernova production will destroy everything out to a perimeter of some 50 light years.

Please contact me at <dixon@hawaii.edu> for further information. Go to: ( Paul Dixon Supernova) on Google.com or (Paul W. Dixon supernova) as well to check various webpages on this topic.

Yours sincerely,

Paul W. Dixon, Ph.D.
    "Trillion" is always a good number to impress non-technical people with. But...

1 electron volt = 1.60217646 &#215; 10-19 joules

1 trillion electron volts = 1.60217646 &#215; 10-7 joules

1 joule is approximately the amount of energy required to lift a one kilogram object up by a height of about 10 centimetres on the surface of the Earth.

Therefore the energy involved here is about 1.6 ten-millionths of one joule.

And from that we're going to produce a supernova, eh?

Nominated for the Ignoble Prize in Physics, I'd say.

BTW, such a "big" and "impressive" number was involved in one of the main technical blunders in the movie Forbidden Planet. It's stated that the ID monster had been hit with 3 billion electron volts. That's barely enough to illuminate a flashbulb light for a moment or two, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Therefore the energy involved here is about 1.6 ten-millionths of one joule.
    Or about 1/10,000th the energy used by one flea in one jump.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

hadn't we better evacuate the city, then?

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS View Post
    hadn't we better evacuate the city, then?
    Well, based on the logic above, if you see a flea, it would be time to flee.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Well, based on the logic above, if you see a flea, it would be time to flee.
    Through a flaw in the flue?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    From a little googling, it seems he's been spreading (more like spamming) this "form letter" around for years. Also, here's a page on him:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~dixon/PaulDixonCV.html

He was born in '36, has a Ph.D. in psychology, but claims to have been "Nominated for Nobel Prize in Physics, 1986, 1995, 1998." Nominated by who, I wonder?
    Nominated perhaps by himself, friends, family or perhaps by fellow kooks. Maybe he was nominated by paul erhlich.