Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I even bother watching FOX?

Why do I even bother watching FOX?

Well, Drive was cancelled after only 5 episodes. Nathan Fillion again gets screwed by FOX.

Why do I even bother watching FOX?

In honor of Drive's untimly demise, I give you FOX's "Brilliant but Cancelled" list. Please add you own. No need to debate the quality of these shows- if you miss it, and FOX killed it, it belongs here.

FOX's Brilliant but Cancelled List:

Firefly
    Arrested Development
    Futurama
    Drive
    Wonderfalls (Thanks Amber Robot)
    Brimstone (Thanks Amber Robot)
    Space: Above and Beyond (Thanks Amber Robot)
    John Doe (Thanks Tog)
    Murder in Small Town X (Thanks Tog)
    Greg the Bunny (Thanks Captain Kidd)
    Andy Richter Controls the Universe (Thanks GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter)
    The Tick (Live Action Version) (Thanks GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter)
    The Tick (Animated Version) (Thanks Van Rijn)
    The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr (Thanks Van Rijin)
    Werewolf (Thanks Tog)
    Married... with Children (Thanks Tog)
    Herman's Head (Thanks Tog)
    Undeclared (Thanks Hale_Bopp)
    The Tracy Ullman Show (Thanks Hale_Bopp)
    Life on a Stick (Thanks hawaii50girl)
    Last edited by Matherly; 2007-Apr-28 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added more shows

I never watched drive, thought it looked dirivative and, well, predictable from the commercials (then again, what new shows arent'?). If it was good, then I take comfort in knowing that I don't know what I'll be missing now that it's canceled.

Long ago I went to watching 20% sports, 80% Discovery/TLC. But those have gone so far down hill that it leaves me wondering why I bought a 52 inch plasma set and pay ~$50/mo. for cable. (if you're wondering, it was really for my girlfriend who is a tv junkie).

I don't watch TV programming. I watch DVDs now and then and if I want to waste time I use the internet.

Does anyone else here not watch TV?

Add to your list:

Wonderfalls
    Brimstone
    Space: Above and Beyond

John Doe
    and the one reality show I ever wanted to not only watch, but be on
    Murder in Small Town X
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

Greg the Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Brak View Post
    Does anyone else here not watch TV?
    Yup. I'm pretty much fed up with program directors who cater to the lowest possible denomiator, showing nothing but (un)realityshows and absolutely nothing I genuinely want to watch, and then thanking me for my patronage by flooding me with ads that insult my intelligence and lie to my face.

When I bought my house last year, I decided to enact the personal policy I'd been trending towards since B&B "fatigued" Enterprise into the ground as hard as they could.

If I like the show, I can be patient and it'll come out in DVD soon enough. My DVD collection is about 150+ disks and steadily growing. I'll do my own programming, thanks all the same. I haven't regretted my decision more than a few minutes at a time.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Hehe this thread reminded me of the opening scene of family guy when they finally brought it back from the dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gvTPk-yKus

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    If I like the show, I can be patient and it'll come out in DVD soon enough.
    One of my favorite shows, Crossing Jordan, has been on for something like five seasons, and it's not out on DVD yet. My all-time favorite, My So-Called Life was, but isn't; it's out of print and costs a prohibitive amount to track down. Then there are shows like Night Court, where they put out one season, it doesn't do well (because the first season wasn't as good as the later ones, presumably!), and they stop putting out seasons. Heck, The Muppet Show only has one season out.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'll add Andy Richter Controls the Universe and the live-action version of The Tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    One of my favorite shows, Crossing Jordan, has been on for something like five seasons, and it's not out on DVD yet. My all-time favorite, My So-Called Life was, but isn't; it's out of print and costs a prohibitive amount to track down. Then there are shows like Night Court, where they put out one season, it doesn't do well (because the first season wasn't as good as the later ones, presumably!), and they stop putting out seasons. Heck, The Muppet Show only has one season out.

If you go to this website called tvshowsondvd.com. They always have news about old tv shows and new tv shows that are coming out on dvd. That is where go to find out if any of the shows I like to watch will be out on dvd.
    Last edited by hawaii50girl; 2007-Apr-26 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I forget to put in the to between like and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter View Post
    I'll add Andy Richter Controls the Universe and the live-action version of The Tick.
    I believe Fox also ran the short lived animated version of The Tick. I liked the animated version, but didn't care for the live-action version.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly View Post
    Firefly
    Arrested Development
    Futurama
    Drive
    Wonderfalls (Thanks Amber Robot)
    Brimstone (Thanks Amber Robot)
    Futurama at least got some episodes under its belt, though I was very annoyed when it was cancelled. To see most of the Wonderfalls episodes you have to watch the DVDs. I think Wonderfalls had promise, Brimstone was okay, but not really something I missed.

Another one that at least had a moderate run was The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. It reminded me of Wild, Wild West. It was a spoof on Westerns with some science fiction thrown in.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, I'd also like to add Friday the 13th and Werewolf to the list. Not great shows but good silly fun. I'm sort of surprised I didn't see X-Files yet. Not that I really miss it. I stopped watching after Mulder "died".
    I'm Not Evil.

X-Files

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    Oh, I'd also like to add Friday the 13th
    Sorry, but that was syndicated so it is inelligeble

Quote Originally Posted by Tog_ View Post
    I'm sort of surprised I didn't see X-Files yet. Not that I really miss it. I stopped watching after Mulder "died".
    That's why it's not on the list. Apparently nobody missed it or thought it dies when it needed too.
    Last edited by Matherly; 2007-Apr-26 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Friday the 13th comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, all true. I'm still hoping they'll someday get the music licensing issues resolved so they can release WKRP.

Still, there's nothing on TV these days that I'm especially interested in watching (other than Dr Who, and I'm content to wait for the DVD which have been coming out almost as soon as the season ends.)

If the DVD-only trend starts to gain any real traction, availability should improve all around.

WKRP Season 1 was released yesterday. Yeah, it is the syndicated version. The costs of the music rights will be too cost prohibitive to fix. I can kinda live with the music issue, I find the dialogue dubs, though fewer more of a bother. I may fork out the $ anyways. The "Turkey Drop" episode is still one of the funniest episodes of any show, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii50girl View Post
    If you go to this website called tvshowsondvd.com. They always have news about old tv shows and new tv shows that are coming out on dvd. That is where go to find out if any of the shows I like to watch will be out on dvd.
    Thanks for the link, hawaii50girl. Although I'm a little bummed out now. Just read that they are releasing WKRP, soon, but they did substitutions with generic music. They said it's better to have a chopped 'KRP than no 'KRP at all, but I don't think I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    WKRP Season 1 was released yesterday. Yeah, it is the syndicated version.
    Yesterday? Okay, that's good to know. I dunno if I'm going to take a pass or not. I guess I'll sleep on it.

Thanks; I saw it at Target yesterday (it would've been released Tuesday, actually), wanted to ask Graham if he wanted it, and totally forgot which old favorite TV show of mine I'd seen and wanted to ask him about. (I'm young enough so I only saw the syndicated version, I think.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Another one that at least had a moderate run was The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. It reminded me of Wild, Wild West. It was a spoof on Westerns with some science fiction thrown in.
    I forgot about that one. IIRC, it only lasted one season. I guess SF-Western is just too odd for most people (hence, Firefly).

say what you will about Fox, but they sure seem to try out more new show ideas than any other network. they seem to go by the "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" method of selecting programming.

I'll agree with that. Fox does try out a lot of stuff no one else would consider, and sometimes it pays off for them. This is in contrast to ABC which seems to take a popular stand up comic with 45 min worth of material and bases a show around them. It's worked well overall, but it's definitely a pattern they seem to like.

The problem is that a lot of the stuff that "sticks to the wall" is crap. 90210, Melrose place, American Idol... Stuff that is definitely popular overall, but crap. What would Firefly have done in a Tuesday night slot? Friday nights are pretty much a crucible for TV shows. Anything that can survive is a top contender, but the majority don't make it because no one is home to watch them.

I'm going to add Married... with Children to the list as well. The idea was a bit played out in the end, but it was deserving of a much better final episode than it ended up with.

Edit to add Herman's Head
    Last edited by Tog; 2007-Apr-27 at 08:12 AM. Reason: and one more
    I'm Not Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Futurama at least got some episodes under its belt, though I was very annoyed when it was cancelled.
    I was more annoyed by the fact that they were blatantly trying to kill it by sticking it in that horrible 7pm Sunday slot that was constantly getting overrun by football OT in the eastern time zones. Just ONCE I'd like to see a sporting event get pre-empted because a sci-fi show ran long. (Though, now that I mention it, the season opener for the Cleveland Indians did kinda look like it got bumped by an airing of The Day After Tomorrow )

True, but...

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    say what you will about Fox, but they sure seem to try out more new show ideas than any other network. they seem to go by the "throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" method of selecting programming.
    True, but FOX also axes shows within 6 episodes if its not the "next big thing". For example, if memory serves Firefly was getting good ratings especially for it's time slot when it got the axe. I often wonder if there isn't some executive power plays involved in some (all?) of these dessicions

Seems to me that TV stations around the world are treating their audiences with contempt. I'm not surprised so many people are turning off. Its their loss, let the advertising revenue move to the net and the games industry. Like the record companies, TV stations are just middle men who got too greedy and deserve to go the way of the dodo. Let them get technolised** out of existence.

**see foodilised

Re: Why do I even bother watching FOX?

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly View Post
    Well, Drive was cancelled after only 5 episodes. Nathan Fillion again gets screwed by FOX.

Why do I even bother watching FOX? ...
    For the unbiased news reporting?

I was at a friend's house a few days ago and she wanted to watch something called "The Shield" on FX, which it appears is related to Fox.

I've been on boats all over the ocean, have piloted various sailing craft here and there, and have experienced weather ranging from becalmed to "We're going to die".

But I've never been seasick.

However, while watching the first few minutes of "The Shield", with its obsessive hand held camera constantly moving every which way, I started to feel queasy and had to stop watching.

I would have stopped watching anyway due to the lack of plot, superficiality of the characters, and glorification of violence.

My friend mentioned that "The Shield" has been on since c. 2002, to which I asked "Why?"

In this post-Virginia Tech world, it's interesting that a show would have the muzzle of what looks like a Beretta 92 as its logo:

There can be no doubt that what the world needs now is more crime/cop/lawyer/prison/ER/crime shows.

...with explosions.

There can be no doubt that what the world needs now is more crime/cop/lawyer/prison/ER/crime shows.
    Its all due to the growth of prisons in America. If American prisons stopped allowing prisoners to watch TV the ratings for crime shows drop so much that other types of shows would have a chance.

Undeclared was on Fox, I believe. I will also add the Tracy Ullman Show.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
    WKRP Season 1 was released yesterday. Yeah, it is the syndicated version. The costs of the music rights will be too cost prohibitive to fix. I can kinda live with the music issue, I find the dialogue dubs, though fewer more of a bother. I may fork out the $ anyways. The "Turkey Drop" episode is still one of the funniest episodes of any show, IMO.
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I seem to recall the actor playing Andy Travis providing an introduction to the repeat of that episode as it was rather controversial even though you never saw any of the actual plummeting turkeys.

Most of the original WKRP episodes are available via BitTorrent, but you really have to look for them. And you didn't hear that from me.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.