Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3332

Thread: Read that again?

Thanks for the interpretation!

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I like these manhole covers. They are about 12" across, but underneath is a 2" lip, so less than 8" across.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190517_172904727_HDR.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	506.0 KB 
ID:	25391
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I didn't really get that until I clicked on the picture! Maybe they are warning off the rodents.
    It's months and months later, but I am bemused by the fact that no one noticed that I opened it to see the large lip around the opening.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's months and months later, but I am bemused by the fact that no one noticed that I opened it to see the large lip around the opening.
    Well, your report doesn't really imply that you'd done such a thing.
    It's common enough to pass a technician who has the lid off one of these access points, and I presume I'm not the only person who takes the opportunity to peer over the barriers and see what's inside. Or, I imagine, you might just have knowledge of the regulations that govern the design of access covers that people walk on. So when I read your post I thought, That sounds about right. And I've never removed one of these covers in my life.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I do like the “fatal to enter” writing. So blunt and to the point. But without giving away the danger that lurks beneath. I guess it gives some legal protection but risks crying wolf. And I love that answer to why many manhole covers are round, it is nearly the only shape with which the lid cannot fall down the hole. As a manhole nerd, the most production efficient steel one was devised by a German engineer. One skin is pressed to have hemisphere bumps and these are welded at their high points to a flat skin making a sandwich. Adding a flange all round completes the cover, or tile or pressure surface.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Our cable system has "Music Choice" channels up in the 900 range. I probably have that on on "my" TV more than anything else. To get in the spirit the past couple of days I put on the "Sounds of the Season" channel. The "MC" channels have no advertising but stick some blurbs on the screen. Seen today:

"Celebrate the Festival of Lights with a Hanukkah Yule Log from Music Choice!"

Say what?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

. . . They just aren't even trying, are they?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

"Celebrate the Festival of Lights with a Hanukkah Yule Log from Music Choice!" Say what?
    Oy vey.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    If Ohio State ends up on the cusp of eligibility, there's sure to be a flap. Disqualifying them from the conference championship game would enrage many fans. On the other hand, they would still have a shot at the national championship without risking a loss here -- depending upon how that committee looks at unplayed games.
    Update: With one more cancellation (this Saturday), OSU doesn't meet the minimum of 6. I suspect that the administration will alter the rules to let them in anyway.

I'd say this headline is missing a pair of commas. Even with them it would be clunky.

Man angry deposit hadn’t cleared threw animal trap through Ann Arbor bank window, police say

There is an auto insurance company TV ad showing two astronauts riding a Lunar Rover on the moon.

Small print at the bottom of the screen says “Do not attempt.”
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Hah! That really made me laugh, though I haven’t seen the commercial. My first thought was that it was a joke, but then I wondered if it was suspected the guys in the rover were doing something that some Earthbound fool might try to duplicate.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It sounded amusing, so I had to look. And yes, they drive the rover off the cliff at the rim of a crater, relying on the reduced gravity to allow them a soft (ish) landing. It's a cute ad.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I was reading a CNN article on how passengers reacted to the problems with the engine in that recent Boeing flight and came across this (emphasis added):

Some of the 241 people on the flight from Denver International Airport to Honolulu opened their windows to see an exposed engine spewing flames and pieces of the plane falling away.
    Others closed their windows, grabbed their loved ones and prayed. Thousands of feet below in a Denver suburb, people on the ground ran to shelter to dodge debris suddenly plummeting to the earth.
    . . . And I’m picturing people opening or closing windows like they are in a bus or car, or maybe a scene from Airplane. Surely that should be referring to window shades? Is it really so hard to add another word to a sentence so that it will make sense?
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Feb-22 at 12:32 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    . . . And I’m picturing people opening or closing windows like they are in a bus or car, or maybe a scene from Airplane. Surely that should be referring to window shades? Is it really so hard to add another word to a sentence so that it will make sense?
    Yeah, that didn't read very well. I wonder how many got sucked out.
    As above, so below

Also, I have a question (I guess this is off-topic babbling so it's OK). In the pictures:

https://www.680news.com/wp-content/b...re-twitter.jpg

It shows burning in the rear part of the engine. I'm wondering what is burning. Is that a fuel intake, or is something else burning, or is it just very hot? It looks like a grill of some sort.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Also, I have a question (I guess this is off-topic babbling so it's OK). In the pictures:

https://www.680news.com/wp-content/b...re-twitter.jpg

It shows burning in the rear part of the engine. I'm wondering what is burning. Is that a fuel intake, or is something else burning, or is it just very hot? It looks like a grill of some sort.

The question might get more notice in the S&T Boeing thread. I’m not sure if it is fire or just really hot metal, but I would expect it would be due to burning fuel.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'll add this to Boeing thread as well. Juan Brown reports the engine was still on fire after landing and extinguished by ground crews.

https://youtu.be/Tkieg1ZFcPE

Boeing thread (to derail the derail):

The question might get more notice in the S&T Boeing thread. I’m not sure if it is fire or just really hot metal, but I would expect it would be due to burning fuel.
    The crew presumably pulled the fire handle which is supposed to shut off fuel. But it may not have worked due to the damage. Or it could be some composite material burning.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The crew presumably pulled the fire handle which is supposed to shut off fuel. But it may not have worked due to the damage. Or it could be some composite material burning.
    I keep reading suggestions of lubrication or gearbox oil but no-one seems to have offered a definitive answer.

On an Australian forum that I am a member of there is someone with a fair bit of flying experience, Royal Australian Navy Skyhawk carrier pilot and QANTAS B747 and A380 Captain. (He was the Captain of the QANTAS B747 that had an emergency oxygen cylinder lose its valve do a bit of careering around the cabin and then depart through the fuselage floor.) His response was pretty much the same as yours so I guess we will have to wait for the various investigations to be completed.

We recently received a tax bill for a lot we purchased last year. It includes the following statement, which I have been unable to parse.

*** NOTE ***
    CLOSING DATE OF TAX DUPLICATE
    AS FOLLOWS
    COUNTY TAXES, DECEMBER 31, 2021
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Unfortunately, here is a fairly typical misunderstanding of how gravity works in a CNN article about a China-Russia space deal. From:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/09/asia/...scn/index.html

“Russia traces its space program back to the Soviet Union, which in 1957 became the first country to launch a satellite -- Sputnik 1 -- out of Earth's gravitational grip.”

No, if it had managed that, it wouldn’t have been a satellite in orbit around the Earth. Too bad they don’t have a dedicated, knowledgeable science writer.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Unfortunately, here is a fairly typical misunderstanding of how gravity works in a CNN article about a China-Russia space deal. From:

“Russia traces its space program back to the Soviet Union, which in 1957 became the first country to launch a satellite -- Sputnik 1 -- out of Earth's gravitational grip.”

No, if it had managed that, it wouldn’t have been a satellite in orbit around the Earth. Too bad they don’t have a dedicated, knowledgeable science writer.
    Yes, absolutely true. I have asked people why astronauts are weightless on the ISS, and very frequently the guess is, "because they are far away from the earth and gravity doesn't reach." People will also often guess that it's colder in the winter because the earth is further away from the sun. And of course, when you point out that when it's winter here it's summer in Australia, it gets them thinking.
    As above, so below

Though actually to be charitable, it's possible the person meant to write "to reach space despite the earth's gravitational grip," but in that case the words were poorly chosen.
    As above, so below

I would have replaced “out of Earth’s gravitational grip” with “into Earth orbit.” That was the key distinction compared to earlier efforts.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yes, absolutely true. I have asked people why astronauts are weightless on the ISS, and very frequently the guess is, "because they are far away from the earth and gravity doesn't reach." People will also often guess that it's colder in the winter because the earth is further away from the sun. And of course, when you point out that when it's winter here it's summer in Australia, it gets them thinking.
    Well, of course, Australia is closer to the sun then. Duh.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, of course, Australia is closer to the sun then. Duh.
    It's at the southern end of the Flat Earth, everyone knows that.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Ooh, you Northern Hemisphere imperialists are at it again I see. Come the revolution the jokes will be reversed and you will bow up to your Southern hemisphere overlords!

A current CNN headline:

Success! SpaceX lands Mars rocket prototype for the first time

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/05/tech/...scn/index.html

I guess they forgot SN10 landed too. Sure, it came in hard and blew up a bit later, but it landed.

I wonder if they will get around to changing that?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

From an article in Axios:

The Rev. Franklin Graham says a potential 2024 presidential bid by Donald Trump would "be a very tough thing to do," the prominent Christian leader told "Axios on HBO."
    Run-on sentence much?
    As above, so below

Is it one-half or one-quarter? Writers can't count.

As many people know the Eastern seaboard saw severe gasoline shortages last week because a major pipeline supplier was hit with a ransomware attack and a lot of gas stations ran dry. Things are improving...or are they? From our local quasi-newspaper:

Roughly half of the gas stations in metro Atlanta were dry Monday, but that’s an improvement over last week as the Colonial Pipeline continues to recover from a cyberattack.
    Alpharetta-based Colonial Pipeline is still ramping up from a shutdown forced by a ransomware attack that left 1 out of 4 gas stations in the Atlanta area without gas. It might take as long as a week to get back to normal, said GasBuddy analyst Allison Mac.
    Ok, so which is it?