Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108
Results 3,211 to 3,222 of 3222

Thread: Read that again?

Along those lines, I mailed a tax estimate payment to the IRS a few days ago and just realized I almost certainly wrote 2019 on the check.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

And from the New York Times:

SpaceX Launch Updates: Rocket Destroyed in Crew Dragon Test
    To prove it is safe for astronauts, the company is testing its capsule’s rescue system. The rocket exploded in what appeared to be a success.
    Kinda missing the point aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Kinda missing the point aren't they?
    Well, it does sound a little crazy, but it makes a certain amount of sense. They were testing the abort system, which would pull the capsule away from the Falcon in the event of some launch problem that would actually require an immediate abort. It's not expected that the Falcon would survive that, and indeed, it seems likely that anything drastic enough to require an immediate abort is already going to cause a loss of the rocket. So this flight was for testing the system that would get the crew capsule safely away from the rest of the rocket in an emergency, and that system appeared to work exactly as designed.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Well, it does sound a little crazy, but it makes a certain amount of sense. They were testing the abort system, which would pull the capsule away from the Falcon in the event of some launch problem that would actually require an immediate abort. It's not expected that the Falcon would survive that, and indeed, it seems likely that anything drastic enough to require an immediate abort is already going to cause a loss of the rocket. So this flight was for testing the system that would get the crew capsule safely away from the rest of the rocket in an emergency, and that system appeared to work exactly as designed.
    My point was that the headline, while technically accurate, was not very nuanced and the second deck made no mention of Dragon itself actually performing correctly. So the casual reader is left with an impression in the headline that maybe things went kerflooey...somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My point was that the headline, while technically accurate, was not very nuanced and the second deck made no mention of Dragon itself actually performing correctly. So the casual reader is left with an impression in the headline that maybe things went kerflooey...somehow.
    You're right, the headline is indeed pretty bad. I read the headline along with the first line of the article that you quoted, and that didn't seem too terrible, but I wasn't thinking about just the headline in isolation.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I'm not sure if the following statement in an ad for tax preparation software was intentional.
    I guess it is technically correct.

Free TurboTax Deluxe (Online or Desktop)
    For those looking to maximize their reductions
    But I suspect they may have meant to say "deductions".
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My wife laughed her head off last night when she saw that.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I'm not sure if the following statement in an ad for tax preparation software was intentional.
    I guess it is technically correct.

But I suspect they may have meant to say "deductions".
    The ad writers got confused and thought it was a weight loss commercial.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Watch new kind of Northern Lights
    A group of amateur Finnish amateur stargazers along with scientists from the University of Helsinki have discovered a new auroral phenomenon.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...ig-tp-mg-2.cnn

I know there are professional stargazers, but are there people who make a career of being Finnish? How much does it pay?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Watch new kind of Northern Lights
    A group of amateur Finnish amateur stargazers along with scientists from the University of Helsinki have discovered a new auroral phenomenon.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/202...ig-tp-mg-2.cnn

I know there are professional stargazers, but are there people who make a career of being Finnish? How much does it pay?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

In the "hear that again" department, my wife put the TV news on while I was in the bathroom and I heard one of the news people say "Senator So-and-so was a prodigy of the late Howard Baker." Huh? Oh. Protege.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.