Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 3,151 to 3,172 of 3172

Thread: Read that again?

  1. #3151
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,002
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Link in a USAToday article:

    " ... While no single factor is causing the growth in income inequality, trends like stagnant middle class wages and skyrocketing executive compensation certainly contribute. There are currently over a dozen major publicly traded companies where CEOs make 1,000 more than their typical employee."

    1,000 what more? If it's dollars per year, well I'd expect that a CEO makes a thousand bucks more than a typical employee. The extra dollars would be small compensation for the pressure. Even dollars per month sounds rather low.

    The actual citation is "1000 times."
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  2. #3152
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,576
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I note that the Lifetime network is running a made-for-undemanding-TV movie entitled I Almost Married a Serial Killer.

    Now, is that wimpy or what? I'll bet that in the pre-Code 1930s, in the 1940s, or the bloody 1970s, she (or he) would have at least gone ahead and married the killer, and had to resolve that!
    Ugh. My dear sweet wife watches those. The most ridiculous woman-in-peril melodramas you ever saw.

    I did enjoy the (entirely predictable) ending of one about the Evil Mother-In-Law (EMIL) trying to gaslight the young bride. In the end, she resorts to hiring a hit man.
    EMIL: Here's the $10,000. When she's dead, you'll get the other $10,000.
    HitMan: How do I know you won't just rat me out to the cops?
    EMIL: HaHa! I don't even know any cops!
    HitMan, displaying badge: You do now.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  3. #3153
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Clear Lake City, TX
    Posts
    12,590
    From an online article:

    Champions player, thinking he missed cut at Senior PGA, flied home, only to realize he made cut upon landing
    https://sports.yahoo.com/champions-p...133035846.html

    Golf Digest needs a few more proof readers.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

    Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

  4. #3154
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,865
    Baseball and golf. Quite the all-around athlete.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  5. #3155
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,867
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I note that the Lifetime network is running a made-for-undemanding-TV movie entitled I Almost Married a Serial Killer.

    Now, is that wimpy or what? I'll bet that in the pre-Code 1930s, in the 1940s, or the bloody 1970s, she (or he) would have at least gone ahead and married the killer, and had to resolve that!

    Now, I note Lifetime has one titled Am I a Serial Killer?

    I don't know if it's related to the other film, or just a favorite topic over there, but another puzzling title. Seems to me that either you aren't or you are, and you certainly should know.

    I can see the guy asking the psychiatrist, "Does two count as serial? How about three?"

  6. #3156
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,002
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Now, I note Lifetime has one titled Am I a Serial Killer?

    I don't know if it's related to the other film, or just a favorite topic over there, but another puzzling title. Seems to me that either you aren't or you are, and you certainly should know.

    I can see the guy asking the psychiatrist, "Does two count as serial? How about three?"
    Amnesia and "split personalities" are staples of melodrama.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  7. #3157
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,769
    I always thought a serial killer was someone who liked Corn Flakes for breakfast.

    As above, so below

  8. #3158
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I always thought a serial killer was someone who liked Corn Flakes for breakfast.

    *Sad trombone*
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  9. #3159
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I always thought a serial killer was someone who liked Corn Flakes for breakfast.

    No, “Serial Killer” is the person who cancelled FireFly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #3160
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nowhere (middle)
    Posts
    37,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ufonaut99 View Post
    No, “Serial Killer” is the person who cancelled FireFly
    I like to refer to that individual, Gail Berman, as a "gorram Reaver".

    Her production company was appropriately named, and I'm not making this up, the Jackal Group.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

  11. #3161
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    4,865
    This article about the best cloud storage services of 2019 was apparently written in 2017.

    https://medium.com/@Vanina/dropbox-a...7-a703af7d7796



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  12. #3162
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This article about the best cloud storage services of 2019 was apparently written in 2017.

    https://medium.com/@Vanina/dropbox-a...7-a703af7d7796
    In the comments, there's a comment from last year, when the title was changed to 2018, questioning it. The author responded that she does indeed update the article with new information and changes the title to match - but obviously doesn't change the url (and I just noticed that the last sentence of the article explicitly says that it will be updated regularly).

    A quick scan via the Wayback Machine suggests that all that's been changed is some of the pricing information for the various options.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  13. #3163
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,237
    Near an interstate highway exit that's undergoing renovations, workers posted a flashing sign that reads:

    Daily
    Night
    Closures
    7pm-5am



    It's technically correct. But it seems to me they could have saved a word.

  14. #3164
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,867
    One of the obituaries for Jim Bouton, the baseball player who wrote the tell-all book Ball Four, stated that the authorship made him "a clubhouse piranha" so far as his former teammates were concerned. Probably composed by a sportswriter.

    They had to print a retraction that stated Bouton was not a flesh-eating, South American fish, but rather an outcast. I'm sure that you all know the intended word.

  15. #3165
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,769
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    One of the obituaries for Jim Bouton, the baseball player who wrote the tell-all book Ball Four, stated that the authorship made him "a clubhouse piranha" so far as his former teammates were concerned. Probably composed by a sportswriter.

    They had to print a retraction that stated Bouton was not a flesh-eating, South American fish, but rather an outcast. I'm sure that you all know the intended word.
    Yeah, that kind of hung can happen. Once I wrote a press release and used the term “a surreptitious finding.” A journalist wrote back and said, interesting phrase, but maybe you meant serendipitous? Doh
    As above, so below

  16. #3166
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yeah, that kind of hung can happen. Once I wrote a press release and used the term “a surreptitious finding.” A journalist wrote back and said, interesting phrase, but maybe you meant serendipitous? Doh
    I really don't know if the 'hung' was deliberate or not?

  17. #3167
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    13,769
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I really don't know if the 'hung' was deliberate or not?
    Definitely not, but that was because of big fingers on a tiny iPhone... “thing”. I think I typed “thung “ and it autocorrected...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

  18. #3168
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,867
    A film historian I know lamented the fact that actor Joseph Cotten is slowly having his filmography mis-attributed due to cotton pickin' spellcheckers!

  19. #3169
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Definitely not, but that was because of big fingers on a tiny iPhone... “thing”. I think I typed “thung “ and it autocorrected...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My fat fingers are a real problem on anything smaller than a normal sized keyboard.

  20. #3170
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,813

    Read that again?

    I had the fastest thumbs on the Eastern seaboard on my old Blackberry. Now....typo city.

  21. #3171
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    8,819
    News show last night talking about Toni Morrison passing away. In describing the plot of "Beloved," the reporter said it involves a woman who "must choose between her daughter's life and a return to slavery."

    That doesn't strike me as a difficult choice at all...
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

  22. #3172
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,867
    FRrom Facebook.com

    Name:  LastMeal.PNG
Views: 39
Size:  9.5 KB



    I dunno, "last meal" doesn't appeal to my taste.

Similar Threads

  1. Im sorry! But please read!
    By Ticket To Heaven in forum Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009-Feb-10, 08:18 AM
  2. What to read first?
    By mgladstonez in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2007-Jan-26, 12:47 AM
  3. How does this read?
    By Glom in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2006-Mar-01, 03:01 AM
  4. Read this
    By skywatcher in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2003-Jun-14, 03:10 AM
  5. Must Read!!!
    By Deep_Eye in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1970-Jan-01, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •