Page 2 of 110 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Read that again?

Judging from what is coming out at the moment, it was designed for many casualties.
    Ah, well wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I haven't been following it except for the headlines. They caught me on a day where I really don't feel up to reading through CNN's [garbage].

I'm curious then as to why it was packed in nails. With a large explosion you'd generate enough of your own pressure/shrapnel, I would think. I guess when trying to kill as many as possible there's no such thing as "overkill".

Fortunately for Londoner's, there is a such thing as "underkill".

The Atlanta Olympic bombing used nails as shrapnel, didn't it? It certainly wasn't a single-intended-victim situation.

I think the intention of nail-bombs is not to kill, but to cause horrific injuries to as many people as possible.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    The Atlanta Olympic bombing used nails as shrapnel, didn't it? It certainly wasn't a single-intended-victim situation.

I think the intention of nail-bombs is not to kill, but to cause horrific injuries to as many people as possible.
    Yes, but it was a small back-pack device. THat's what I mean...how do you cover a bomb as big as this with nails? and by that point, why? Oh well, I'm no terrorist.

Scientists try to see back before the big bang

"It came as a big surprise that some properties of the universe before the Big Bang may have only such a weak influence on current observations that they are practically undetermined," Bojowald said.

KPRC: $100,000 falls off back of pickup

"You think that's a good way to transport money?" KPRC Local 2 reporter Elizabeth Scarborough asked.

"Well, ma'am, it falls out of armored cars, too," Roberts said. "The money is fully insured."
    Now there's someone that I would trust with my money.

eyyuup, gots no needs fer me to kip the tailgate up.

Lol, well when the insuring organization gets ahold of that quote, chances are they won't be too quick to write up a check. It may be insured, but that doesn't mean you don't have to execute due care in handeling.

I don't have a link because I saw this in a business brochure for a company I worked for years ago. But I'll never forget it:

"Three words your customers should never hear: That's not our policy."

Chef Under Fire For Serving Half-Dead Fish
    A Taiwanese newspaper said the fish dish includes a carp covered with sweet-and-sour sauce, its body deep-fried but its head still twitching.
    I wouldn't, but I really don't have an opinion based on Taiwanese culture.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Chef Under Fire For Serving Half-Dead Fish

I wouldn't, but I really don't have an opinion based on Taiwanese culture.
    I agree... too many of these animal rights groups seem to think that every animal on the planet should be seen as having the same physical and psychological makeup as humans and therefore believe that they should be afforded the same rights. It just ain't so...

Different cultures, different views...

But it's degrading to carp everywhere! Wouldn't you be insulted if some creature ate humans while we were still alive?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    But it's degrading to carp everywhere! Wouldn't you be insulted if some creature ate humans while we were still alive?
    I am not a lobster... the neuro-development that humans have is far advanced when compared with a lobster. I worry about weeds screaming when I weed my garden and I don't wory that a lobster sees a boiling pot of water the way I might... Lets be realistic about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I am not a lobster... Lets be realistic about this...
    Well; knowing fazor's posts, this was purely sarcasm, and a fairly clever one since most humans are still alive when other creatures eat them?

and a fairly clever one since most humans are still alive when other creatures eat them? Hey, we have a winner. That was my point entirely. Yeah, I had to shower to remove the sarcasm after I posted that. I just dislike those PETA people that much.

Well; knowing fazor's posts, this was purely sarcasm, and a fairly clever one since most humans are still alive when other creatures eat them?
    But he's right we are insulted. We're top of the food chain...

Well, until Kang and Kodos arrive, anyway.

So; what your saying, is the shaking, sweating, running, all while screaming like a school girl when confronted by an alligator is because I was insulted?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    Well, until Kang and Kodos arrive, anyway.
    Yeah... I'll take my chances...

I agree with you... PETA stands for: too many people without enough to keep them reasonably occupied...

So; what your saying, is the shaking, sweating, running, all while screaming like a school girl when confronted by an alligator is because I was insulted?
    Naw... I'm just saying that the alligator should know its place...

Um... and we've all elected you to go explain this to him/her in no uncertain terms...

Um... and we've all elected you to go explain this to him/her in no uncertain terms...
    Now; why do I always miss the important meetings?

Now; why do I always miss the important meetings?
    hmmm... strange isn't it??

Well this one wedges fairly well into the discussion.

It's the only story where PETA can agree with the other PETA.
    (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals vs People Eating Tasty Animals)

Japan seeks stress-free tuna for finer dining

I saw the headline and equated it with the dolphin free, animal rights type story, but it was actually:
    TOKYO - Japanese researchers are looking for ways to reduce stress levels in tuna caught in nearby waters, so they taste better when they hit the plate.

Interesting. I wonder how much actual merit stress-free has on tuna-taste. At first it sounds utterly stupid, but I'm guessing there probably are some chemicals/enzymes that fish release when they're stressed. The question is, do they alter taste? Probably more of a gimic to make regular food more "luxurious" so they can charge $50 for a regular tuna filet.

I've been reading a culinary book recently (sorry, no title or link available) that claims that steer are slaughtered in as stress free an environment as practical, and that the reason is the same -- high stress = high enzyme present in muscle tissue, and the tissue (aka meat) degrades quicker with time.

You can tuna piano, but...

Well this one wedges fairly well into the discussion.

It's the only story where PETA can agree with the other PETA.
    (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals vs People Eating Tasty Animals)
    They claim on the carton that their "organic milk" comes from cows that are less stressed. The milk from these "stress-free" cows definitely tastes better.

As for tuna, I thought it was more about size? The small ones are tender and tasty, and the big ones tough and grizzled. No? Anyway, out of a can, it all tastes pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wilson View Post
    As for tuna, I thought it was more about size? The small ones are tender and tasty, and the big ones tough and grizzled. No? Anyway, out of a can, it all tastes pretty good
    Well tuna that is stressed is pretty good, but lets face it I prefer the taste of tuna that is filled with shear, raw terror. Something about tuna that saw it coming makes them sooo much more flavorful!!

PETA stands for:

Please Eat The Animals.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Please Eat The Animals.
    Apparently didn't catch my post.
    The word is "tasty".

In Stephen King's novel The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, the young protagonist is supposedly stalked through the woods by the monster for several days, and the narrator explains that terror makes the meat sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    In Stephen King's novel The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, the young protagonist is supposedly stalked through the woods by the monster for several days, and the narrator explains that terror makes the meat sweet.
    I agree... I want my steaks from terrorized beef!!!

Actually, adrenaline is supposedly quite bitter. So better to get 'em when they're nice and relaxed. Run a day-spa with a gourmet restaurant attached.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright