Thread: Mars' gooey core is freezing

Lightbulb Mars' gooey core is freezing

I searched and haven't seen this posted yet (hopefully I searched extensively enough; my apologies if this is repeated info) --

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...mars_core.html

Supposedly it will either:

a] solidify from the outside-in, which will produce an iron-nickel core

or

b] solidify from the inside-out, which will produce an iron pyrite (fools' gold) type core.

The cooling core might restore Mars' magnetism.

Also, check out the reference to the "snowing core" model. Weird.

What will be the approximately temperature of the solid Mars's core?

Supposedly it will either:

a] solidify from the outside-in, which will produce an iron-nickel core

or

b] solidify from the inside-out, which will produce an iron pyrite (fools' gold) type core.

Well, that's narrowed down the possibilities.

Yes, but what will be temperature of the Mars core after solidifying?

Quote Originally Posted by m1omg View Post
    Yes, but what will be temperature of the Mars core after solidifying?
    That depends entirely on its exact composition, and the pressure it's under. I think the general ballpark for the freezing point of sulphur-rich iron-nickel at standard temp and pressure is between 800-1000 degrees C, but don't quote me on that. At the higher pressures of Mars' core of course that'd probably be different.

Why they are saying that Mars's core is "freezing"?To an absolute layman, it may sounds like Mars's core temperature is under 0 degress Celsius.In fact, it is still extremely hot by human's standarts.It just solidified, but it is still white hot, pressure even causes solidifying at much higher temperatures than it will solidify at normal temperature.

Why they are saying that Mars's core is "freezing"?To an absolute layman, it may sounds like Mars's core temperature is under 0 degress Celsius.In fact, it is still extremely hot by human's standarts.It just solidified, but it is still white hot, pressure even causes solidifying at much higher temperatures than it will solidify at normal temperature.
    Freezing = changing from liquid to solid state. Doesn't matter if that change happens at -200 C or +1000C, it's still "freezing". And if it changes from solid to liquid, then it's still "melting".

Quote Originally Posted by EDG_ View Post
    Freezing = changing from liquid to solid state. Doesn't matter if that change happens at -200 C or +1000C, it's still "freezing". And if it changes from solid to liquid, then it's still "melting".
    I think "solidyfy" is a lot more unambigious and accurate descriptive term than "freezing".There is no "melted water" but "liquid water".

I think "solidyfy" is a lot more unambigious and accurate descriptive term than "freezing".There is no "melted water" but "liquid water".
    Think that all you like, it doesn't change the definition of the word. Besides, "solidify" just means it turns into a solid - doesn't say anything at all about HOW it's becoming solid. "Freezing" implies that it's because of a temperature change. So if anything "solidify" is a more ambiguous term.

And no, liquid water obviously isn't "melted water"... but it is "melted ice". And ice is "frozen water".

I don't see why scientists should have to simplify absolutely everything so the layman can understand it. If that's the case, laymen would never learn anything new since it's always being couched in terms they can understand.

Think that all you like, it doesn't change the definition of the word. Besides, "solidify" just means it turns into a solid - doesn't say anything at all about HOW it's becoming solid. "Freezing" implies that it's because of a temperature change. So if anything "solidify" is a more ambiguous term.

And no, liquid water obviously isn't "melted water"... but it is "melted ice". And ice is "frozen water".

I don't see why scientists should have to simplify absolutely everything so the layman can understand it. If that's the case, laymen would never learn anything new since it's always being couched in terms they can understand.
    Ok so priase the arcane obscure terms...

Ok so priase the arcane obscure terms...
    "Freezing" is arcane and obscure?! Riiiiight.
    This is very basic, high-school (if not earlier) science we're talking about. If people don't get what freezing or melting means, then there really is no hope for us.

"Freezing" is arcane and obscure?! Riiiiight.
    This is very basic, high-school (if not earlier) science we're talking about. If people don't get what freezing or melting means, then there really is no hope for us.
    For me at first sounded like Mars's core is really cold...Maybe not in your launguage but in our language (Slovak) freeze=zmrznut (w/o interpunction) mean generally freezing water or somethink very cold.This can be also in the context of feeling very cold - I am freezing=Ja zmrznem (non literally, "I am feeling very cold", not "I am solidyfying".Sorry, you are right but the literal translation to our language mistaken me.

In our languge, we use the term "stuhnut" for solidyfy and "zmrznut" only for the freezing of water or another substance with freezing point below zero degress Celsius (So even "Zmrznuty dusik"="Frozen nitrogen" or "Dusikovy lad"="Nitrogen ice" is correct, but not "Frozen iron"="Zmrznute zelezo", instead, we use "Solid iron"="Tuhe zelezo".)

And we also use "zmrznut" (freeze) for something that is brittle and rigid because of low temperature and/or it has frozen water in it for example "zmrznute drevo" (frozen wood) is not "tuhe drevo" (soild wood, because all wood is solid), but very cold wood with frozen water in it (frozen) that is unusable for burning.

For me at first sounded like Mars's core is really cold...Maybe not in your launguage but in our language (Slovak) freeze=zmrznut (w/o interpunction) mean generally freezing water or somethink very cold.This can be also in the context of feeling very cold - I am freezing=Ja zmrznem (non literally, "I am feeling very cold", not "I am solidyfying".Sorry, you are right but the literal translation to our language mistaken me.
    Ah, translation problems. That explains it . Sorry, didn't realise English wasn't your first language.

Nothing happened , it is ok .

For future reference, it's possible to solidify without freezing, right? To me, freezing signifies crystalization from the phase change, and is only one form of solidification. Other forms of solidification could be chemically (or electromagneticaly) induced or mechanically formed, but amorphous.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.