Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quantum entanglement: dessert first!

Quantum anything boggles my mind. I read somewhere that photons behave differently if they are observed, which is boggling enough but the magazine I read (wish I remembered which one it was, possibly Discover magazine) talked about the same effects from starlight many light-years away. I got the impression they were implying that the individual photons "knew" they would be observed by someone on Earth many years down the road. I read this a few months back. I might've misunderstood what the article was trying to say but it gave me a headache trying to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer17
    Quantum anything boggles my mind. I read somewhere that photons behave differently if they are observed, which is boggling enough but the magazine I read (wish I remembered which one it was, possibly Discover magazine) talked about the same effects from starlight many light-years away. I got the impression they were implying that the individual photons "knew" they would be observed by someone on Earth many years down the road. I read this a few months back. I might've misunderstood what the article was trying to say but it gave me a headache trying to figure it out.
    Of course, what you just said seems to be counter-intuitive right? Hawking says that there is nothing wrong about looking at time as not being favoured to be exclusivily one-directional (Past to the future, intersected by the now), but, in fact being omni-directional.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer17
    Of course, what you just said seems to be counter-intuitive right? Hawking says that there is nothing wrong about looking at time as not being favoured to be exclusivily one-directional (Past to the future, intersected by the now), but, in fact being omni-directional.
    Iím confused. In the space part of space-time, space does not flow and is not created. So if we speak of the time part of space-time, why do we assume that time flows and is being created? Isnít time just another dimension? Arenít we confusing the dimension of time with our perception of the flow of time?