Thread: Hello and an offering

Hello and an offering

Just joined the group and have been browsing.

Some nice work on here including some familar stuff

Here is a hello offering - Omega Centauri

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike20...79612510/large

Scroll down to "other sizes" and click on "original" to see the bigger version

Look forward to participating in this forum

very nice web page , lots of intresting pics
    welcome to the forum,,,,

Welcome!

Hi Mike - Welcome to the Board!

Man, where have you been hiding?!

You're work is absolutely incredible.

I presume you don't have a day job, right? Where do you get time to do all this and process this quality of image gallery?

Wow!

Paul

Well Mike Wellcome! Those Clusters are simply breath taking especially the EHC Nice group of stars. Clear Skies

Hi Mike
    Welcome to the forum. Your work is very good indeed. I like photos of the many clusters that are out there. Thanks and post many more. Clear skies Paul

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

I am glad you enjoyed my "clusters" album one of those cluster images has had quite a few hits

Now if the fickle weather here on the East coast of Australia will just cooperate I can do some more imaging

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, good to see you here. I joined up a while back but haven't posted anything yet :-)

cheers, Bird

Welcome!

I enjoyed looking at your galleries. Beautiful work.

Hi Mike,

It's good to see you here in this forum! Any news on the ASA? Did you see their new focuser? Again, it's good to have you in the forum.

Best,
    Tom

welcome Mike

You have just arrived and your Omega Centauri is featuring on Universe Today!! Congratulations!
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tvdavis View Post
    Hi Mike,

It's good to see you here in this forum! Any news on the ASA? Did you see their new focuser? Again, it's good to have you in the forum.

Best,
    Tom

Hi Tom

No unfortunately my ASA N12 had severe astigmatism coming from the secondary (I was not the only one to have this problem either!), it had an inadequate focuser and a bearing shattered the first night I used it for imaging, the scope arrived with a faulty RoboFocus fitted, the felt lining inside the tube had bubbles in it, no instruction manual was included and it was supplied with incorrect collimation instructions. ASA attempted, unsuccessfuly, to remedy some of these problems but to no avail, so the scope was returned to Austria two months ago! I asked for a refund and although ASA promised me one unfortunately I am so far experiencing difficulties in obtaining that refund, its been months now and I keep getting excuses and stalling etc.

Oh well you live and learn, one of the dangers in running with a new untested company I guess?

The new ASA focuser and secondary support solutions worry me very much too, I would recomend avoiding them.

Mike
    Last edited by Strongmanmike; 2007-Aug-03 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokmakierie View Post
    You have just arrived and your Omega Centauri is featuring on Universe Today!! Congratulations!
    Phil
    Wow what a surprise!

It seems to only link/display the very low res image from my website though, is it possible to link to the higher res version?

http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike20...12510/original

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Hi Mike, good to see you here. I joined up a while back but haven't posted anything yet :-)

cheers, Bird
    Hi Anthony!

Hey, wait till you see some of Birds planetary work guys!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Strongmanmike View Post
    Hi Tom

No unfortunately my ASA N12 had severe astigmatism coming from the secondary (I was not the only one to have this problem either!), it had an inadequate focuser and a bearing shattered the first night I used it for imaging, the scope arrived with a faulty RoboFocus fitted, the felt lining inside the tube had bubbles in it, no instruction manual was included and it was supplied with incorrect collimation instructions. ASA attempted, unsuccessfuly, to remedy some of these problems but to no avail, so the scope was returned to Austria two months ago! I asked for a refund and although ASA promised me one unfortunately I am so far experiencing difficulties in obtaining that refund, its been months now and I keep getting excuses and stalling etc.

Mike

I know exactly how you feel. I had a custom 250mm f/4 MakNewt that I could never get to perform well. I could not get a refund and in good conscience I could not sell it so I gave it away -- total loss. I also had a Tak BRC-250 that had severe optical problems and I sent back to Japan for partial refund.

I hope you have better luck with whatever scope you decide to go with now. At least your AP scope is working well!! (I have an AP 155EDF f/7 as my backup scope -- it has never failed me).

Best,
    Tom

From one Mike to another, let me add my welcome... and admiring envy on those pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by tvdavis View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. I had a custom 250mm f/4 MakNewt that I could never get to perform well. I could not get a refund and in good conscience I could not sell it so I gave it away -- total loss. I also had a Tak BRC-250 that had severe optical problems and I sent back to Japan for partial refund.

I hope you have better luck with whatever scope you decide to go with now. At least your AP scope is working well!! (I have an AP 155EDF f/7 as my backup scope -- it has never failed me).

Best,
    Tom
    Yes it sucks and a new telescope company can ill afford such bad publicity, the astroimaging community is fairly small - the news of poor manufacturing standards and business ethics can be far reaching in the high end market.

I agree, having an AP APO as a back up is pretty lucky

GREAT site....am new to all this, though have spent a lifetime with a crooked neck! one day i will get myself a telescope...........

Beautiful picture of one of my favorites. Thanks.