Thread: Last Quarter Moon 5 August

Last Quarter Moon 5 August

I dragged myself out of bed at 5 am on a crisp Winter morning. But I wanted a peek at the Last Quarter Moon. Seeing was moderate.
    9" Homemade Dobs with a 25mm Plossl Eyepiece without and with a 2x Orion Shorty Barlow. Fujifilm Finepix 2600 digicam used afocally against the eyepiece.
    The image of the Last Quarter was done without the Barlow.
    The other two images are of the Clavius region and the Plato-Archimedes-Aristillus region.
    Images sharpened with Microsoft Picture-It and cleaned with Noiseware.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Phil

Excellent photos. Your 1st image is just great the focus is right on and the lighting balance is on the money. The two close ups are good aswell I think alittle to much noiseware but still better then any of my attemps at really close work with my sony.

Did you have to man handle that big scope by your self. I know it has to be a job, I have been using a friends 8 inch fork mount on a wedge tripod, its all I can do to get it out of the house and onto the deck. Glad to hear your still getting out. Phil how cold is a winter morning in South Africa. Does it get cold and then warm up like the carolinas in the winter. I really miss living in north carolina the weather there agreed with me. Clear skis to you and yours. later Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul f. campbell View Post

Did you have to man handle that big scope by your self. I know it has to be a job, I have been using a friends 8 inch fork mount on a wedge tripod, its all I can do to get it out of the house and onto the deck. Glad to hear your still getting out. Phil how cold is a winter morning in South Africa. Does it get cold and then warm up like the carolinas in the winter. I really miss living in north carolina the weather there agreed with me. Clear skis to you and yours. later Paul
    Paul, I have a little trolley which fits under the base of the scope and it makes it much easier to pull out into the garden.
    Where we live the temperature rarely drops below 5 degrees Celsius in Winter. Mostly around 14. The wind chill factor can be severe though. During the day we sometimes have the loveliest weather with temps in the mid twenties. Friends took us for a walk in a nature reserve nearby this afternoon. Up country though the weather can be severe.
    Thanks for your kind comments.

Phil

Nice shots Phil. I really like the last quarter -- it takes dedication to get out early to catch it!

Those are nice images. I saw the moon this morning while imaging Mars, and thought I could possibly make out the variation in the terminator near that mountain range naked eye.

Your on the roll Phil, Great shots i concur with Paul the first image really shows alot of details. Well worth the sacrifice getting up a little early.