Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASA says stars not visible in a vacuum?

NASA says stars not visible in a vacuum?

I frequent the ATS boards, and a rambling post from a member "johnlear" has me in stitches. It's a thread where some guy claims nighttime NASA video feed is turned off to hide the alien ufos, lol. Here is John's post:

I could be wrong but I believe that one of NASA's excuses why no stars are visible in the Lunar sky (other than the fact that the daytime sky is saffron colored) is that stars are not visible in a vacuum. I seem to remember that NASA said you need an atmosphere to refract the light of the stars for them to become visible. I think that Hoagland said something about that also. If this is not what they said please accept my apologies in advance.

So of course we know that those statements (if they were made) are without fact or foundation and are total fiction. If the NASA TV were to be turned on during the nighttime portion of the flight (assuming the shuttle is flying in a vacuum) the stars would be brilliant, beautiful and majestic. So to speak.

So if they were brilliant, beautiful and majestic in space then why wouldn't they have been brilliant, beautiful and majestic from the lunar surface. I mean if the sky wasn't a saffron color.

Of course if the daytime sky was in fact a saffron color from the lunar surface then the sky would have to be painted black in all the pictures and if the sky was painted black then you would have to come up with an excuse why there were no stars because it would be impossible to put all the stars in at their correct position. And if you had any color video or even black and white video you would have to lose that video or else it would show a saffron color sky.

Of course, if the daytime sky where in fact black then the video (assuming you found all of the lost video) would show the stars and then you would have to explain why the still photos don't show the stars if the video shows the stars.

Best plan: Lose the videos and don't show the nighttime sky from the shuttle.

Oh, the tangled web we weave...
    Seriously, I don't even know how to comment on something like this........

I'm still digesting the saffron-colored sky.........

tbm

That guy is a good example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

That's some funny stuff. Sad, but true. Thanks for that link.

If this is not what they said please accept my apologies in advance.
    Apology accepted, Captain Needa.

Re: NASA says stars not visible in a vacuum?

I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me
    She's just mad about me

[Refrain:]
    They call me mellow yellow
    (Quite rightly)
    (Quite rightly)
    [...]
    Saffron - yeah
    I'm just mad about her
    She's just mad about me

[Refrain]

(Oh so yellow, oh so mellow)

- Donovan
    One electrical banana too many, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov View Post
    Saffron's mad about me
    Then she hits you over the head and steals your ship.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomWolf
    Apology accepted, Captain Needa.
    Get out of my head, PhantomWolf.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

This has the makings of a great alternative universe science fiction book/film/whathaveyou!

I wonder where the Saffron sky thing came from. Is it possible that someone misunderstood a statement about the sky as seen from the surface of Saturn's moon Titan, and applied it to our Moon?
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Jerry View Post
    Seriously, I don't even know how to comment on something like this........
    He might be right, every time I change the vacuum bag, I put the new one over my head and don't see a thing.

I can't recall ever hearing NASA say stars are not visible in space. Where did he get that from?

I'm still untangling myself from this wicked web I wove...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
    I can't recall ever hearing NASA say stars are not visible in space. Where did he get that from?
    There are entries in various reports and logs in which astronuats express difficulty in seeing stars under certain conditions, but NASA has never made a blanket statement that stars can't been seen in space. Just the opposite in fact; NASA documents are filled with references to stars and reports of the astronauts observing them. The simple fact is that sometimes stars can be seen and sometimes they can't; it all depends on the specific circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
    There are entries in various reports and logs in which astronuats express difficulty in seeing stars under certain conditions, but NASA has never made a blanket statement that stars can't been seen in space. Just the opposite in fact; NASA documents are filled with references to stars and reports of the astronauts observing them. The simple fact is that sometimes stars can be seen and sometimes they can't; it all depends on the specific circumstances.
    Living in Houston and near the space center, I've attended many functions where astronauts have spoken. Almost everytime some child asks "Can you see stars from space?" Of course the answer is always yes, and there are always additional comments.

If you can't see stars in a vacuum then the Hubble Space Telescope must be a hoax too.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Jerry View Post
    When first we practice to deceive

And the web of logic is tangled too
    That's made in want of knowledge true.

An argument that exposes NASA's "lies"
    From person who thinks that stars need skies

Is begging for ridicule, or at least harmless josh,
    And as JayUtah would put it, it's all hogwash!

"I don't know, I could be wrong, but if NASA really said this, then it is a lie. Why is NASA lying to us? Come on, stop the lying!"

Er, right.

"Yes, I have a response.....what?" - GEICO Caveman
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My vacuum is a Dyson. I can't see any stars in it, I had Danny DeVito in there once but he's like, real small and weas lost in my carpet.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

"I frequent the ATS boards, and a rambling post from a member "johnlear" has me in stitches. It's a thread where some guy claims nighttime NASA video feed is turned off to hide the alien ufos, lol. Here is John's post:"

After you posted that I went and had a look at ATS and some of what John Lear is saying is hilarious. Theres also another chap there called Zorgon who is saying theres a Fusion Reactor on the moon too?

But did anyone see the post from John Lear saying there are trees and a breathable atmosphere and lakes on the far side of the moon?
    Is he just spreading disinfo or does he really believe that stuff?

LOL!

The stars exist in a vacuum. I see them! They're visible!

What in the world is NASA talking about???

This was one of John Lear's classics about the moon

"A common misconception fostered by NASA. There is plenty of organic life. There are trees, grass, meadows. flowers, rivers, lakes, its all on the farside though. The nearside is barren, desolate, a wasteland of craters, mountains, ridges and canyons. They call the canyons 'rilles' because they don't want you to think anything is earthlike up there. "

Has he completely lost the plot or is he indeed a disinfo agent and if so why?

So, if one cannot see stars in a vacuum, what is the sun? It must not a be a real star. Now we finally find out the truth.

Personaly, I think a more accruate statement is this.

"Stars are not visible through a vacume between an HB'ers ears."

Quote Originally Posted by Tinaa View Post
    So, if one cannot see stars in a vacuum, what is the sun? It must not a be a real star. Now we finally find out the truth.
    I hate to defend the guy, but I know what he was getting at. In space, the light from a star is just a point of light. He's thinking that the point is below the resolution of the human eye.

Air scatters the light, making the star appear to be more than just a point when see from Earth (differences in temperature cause stars to twinkle, but that's not what I'm talking about). Think of the halo you see around a streetlight on a foggy night. Halo+light appears larger than the light is by itself. So what he's saying is that your eyes can't see the streetlight because it's too small, but can see the halo.

NASA's hoax-enforcement standards are slipping badly. Back in the day, they would blow up an entire Shuttle and its crew in midair just to prevent one teacher from mentioning stars in space. Now, they're negligently letting her and her crewmates blab about it to schoolkids:
    In one of the more interesting exchanges, a student asked if the astronauts could see constellations in space from their lofty perch above Earth's atmosphere.

"You know, initially when we first came up here, both the space shuttle and the space station were both very lit up, almost like a small city, and it made it tough to see anything," Drew said. "Actually, I had an easier time seeing stars in Houston. Last night, we turned out all the lights on both the shuttle and the station, looked out the window and it as a glorious sight out there. You could see the entire Milky Way, you could see the dust clouds of the Milky Way, I think Barb even saw a shooting star beneath us last night. We saw thunder storms over the world, it was pretty fabulous, you could make out all the constellations in the sky."

"It was interesting," Morgan said, "it started out in the orbit we were in, we were at night time and we were looking out at the night sky and all the things Al just described we could see..."

Too bad Bill Kaysing didn't live long enough to hear the direct contradiction of several of his claims.

Was he the one that said that Christa McAuliffe was killed to keep her from blabbing about the stars?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDog View Post
    Was he the one that said that Christa McAuliffe was killed to keep her from blabbing about the stars?
    Yes. Below is an excerpt from this interview with Bill Kaysing by Nardwuar:

Nardwuar: Well, a lot of people died when dissing NASA What's the significance of the Baron Report?

Kaysing: Oh, that's profound. A man named Thomas Ronald Baron was an inspector on Pad 34, where Grissom, Chaffee and White were murdered. He brought forth a 500-page report on the mismanagement, the incompetence of NASA and North American [Aviation]. And again, like Jim Irwin, a few days after he testified before the Congressional Investigating Committee, he was found dead in his car at a railroad crossing. Now what does that tell you?

Nardwuar: A lot of people got knocked off.

Kaysing: NASA and the CIA and the whole U.S. government is a rotten and corrupt organization, designed just to get all the tax money they can out of people, to manipulate their minds, to keep them amused with sporting events and silly TV sitcoms. We, unfortunately, in the U.S. are pretty well brainwashed, believing whatever the government says. And they have control, as you well know, of the media.

Nardwuar: How much space stuff since 1959 has been real? What space stuff is real today? Did the Challenger blow up? Did NASA know it would blow up?

Kaysing: Yeah, and you know why it blew up? Because Christa McAuliffe, the only civilian and only woman aboard, refused to go along with the lie that you couldn't see stars in space. So they blew her up, along with six other people, to keep that lie under wraps. I claim that Christa McAuliffe was murdered.

Nardwuar: So when the Challenger blew up, it wasn't because of O-ring problems, it was because NASA murdered the people because they didn't want to go along with the gags?

Kaysing: Well, Christa McAuliffe was a woman of great integrity, and she would not agree to say that you couldn't see stars in space.

Nardwuar: So, Bill Kaysing, are you saying that Roberta Bondar, Canada's first women astronaut, never actually made it in space, 'cause she was on the Shuttle.

Kaysing: Well, I'll tell you what - the Shuttle is a possibility. After all, it's low altitude. I haven't done a great deal of research on the Shuttle, but several people have said that the Shuttle is actually faked, also.

Nardwuar: So Christa McAuliffe refused to say that she couldn't see stars in space, which would have verified the moon landing claim of no stars in the photos in the moon, so they blew her up.

Kaysing: Yeah, exactly. Once you start telling lies, you've gotta keep on going. And then, of course, you try to cover up lies, like the film Apollo 13.

Wow. To say what I really feel would violate the terms of this board, but I fervently hope that Kaysing is where he belongs.