Thread: Postcards from the Past

Postcards from the Past

The Postcards from the Future topic reminded me of these French postcards (oo la la) from the past, year 1910, depicting the future, year 2000:

Bibliothèque nationale de France: Utopie exhibition :: Visions de l'an 2000 (French)

More accessible larger format: Paleo-Future blog: French Prints Show the Year 2000 (1910)

Where's my flying car?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Well, the airplane rescue and "corespondance cinema" aka teleconfrencing are genuine. We all have our hits and misses.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2007-Sep-15 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I thought the radium fireplace was a nice idea. No ashes to clean up. Later, there might be visitors to clean up, but, you know...

I imagine that the cards were originally meant to be more a joke than anything else (The electro-school, for example)

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    The Postcards from the Future topic reminded me of these French postcards (oo la la) from the past, year 1910, depicting the future, year 2000:

Bibliothèque nationale de France: Utopie exhibition :: Visions de l'an 2000 (French)

More accessible larger format: Paleo-Future blog: French Prints Show the Year 2000 (1910)

Where's my flying car?
    Car shoes ~ motorised scooters/Segways/electric skateboards.
    The horse as a curiosity is pretty accurate today.
    Cyclist scouts and Cars of war match WWII reasonably well (although the cars would feel more at home in almost any post-apocalyptic sci-fi).
    Airship on the Long Course was true for a while.
    The Electric Train from Paris to Beijing came true in spirit, although the design of that train looks superbly impractical, and it would have been far more accurate to simply imagine a longer-range aeroplane.

As for the rest, I'm quite amused that the planes appear to be able to hover (rather than using one of those helicopters). Perhaps the artist had never actually seen an aeroplane fly, and didn't know how they worked? Or they could be jokey, as mike alexander said. Drink-flying hasn't been outlawed! I do like the personal wings of the firemen/policeman. Makes a change from jetpacks (where is my jetpack?).

In short - they have fallen into the standard error of simply using known technology for unknown uses, when most of the real development has come from totally new tech (electronics, TV etc.) And I am sure today's predictions will be just as soundly mocked by the people of the year 2100. Think of future prediction as an investment for the comedy of future times .

A few short years later "Automobiles de Guerre" became the military scout car and later still its illustrious cousin, the Jeep.

The best part was the introduction of silly things into Mauve Decade settings; the clothes, the furnishings, didn't change at all.

Now I'm imagining a Gibson Girl with a jetpack.

I'm still bumed that we can't all have personal subs unless we're rich.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!