Thread: Episode 54: Questions Show #6

Post Episode 54: Questions Show #6

It's been a while, so let's catch up with the listener questions. We've got some easy ones, some hard ones and probably some impossible ones. We talk about our universe as a black hole, tidal locking of planets like Uranus, colours of stars at different ages, our universe's birthday and more.

<strong><a href="http://media.libsyn.com/media/astronomycast/AstroCast-070917.mp3">Episode 54: Questions Show #6(17.5MB)</a></strong><br />&nbsp;<br />

Read the full blog entry

I'll put this question in this topic too, because it really bugs me:

I just listened to this episode and one thing sounded a bit weird to me, I hope you don't mind my asking it here on this topic:

Which way is it that Uranus really rotates; rotational axis
    A) always pointing (more or less) in the same direction (on the "firmament"), or
    B) always pointing at the Sun?

It's a bit hard for me to find the right words to explain these two models, but perhaps this picture (that I drew myself just now helps you to understand what I mean:

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/1843/uranus1od1.jpg

I've always thought that it was A), but in this episode I thought I heard Fraser and/or Pamela mention something like B) somewhere. What force makes a planet rotate (or is it revolve? Go around the Sun) this way? Though I might well have misunderstood something here, because (as you can probably tell) english isn't my native tongue...

Now what? The whole show seems to be gone! At least there seems to be no link to it on the front page...

That's strange, I see it. It's here:
    http://www.astronomycast.com/stars/e...stions-show-6/

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    That's strange, I see it. It's here:
    http://www.astronomycast.com/stars/e...stions-show-6/
    Nope, for me that's just an empty page. And last (or first, depending on how you look at them) podcast on the main page is ep. 53. But ep. 54 WAS there just a few days ago! I use Opera, but same thing with IE, I just checked. Weird...

I can find it on the Archive list, though, but nowhere else.

I have a question. Why is it that now that I have listened to Astronomy cast all other pod casts seem boring and uneducated?

Quote Originally Posted by NHR+ View Post
    Now what? The whole show seems to be gone! At least there seems to be no link to it on the front page...
    It's back! Sorry for the random disappearance. It seems a checkbox got clicked that shouldn't have.

-Rebecca B-F
    Assistant Producer
    Astronomy Cast

Quote Originally Posted by NHR+ View Post
    Which way is it that Uranus really rotates; rotational axis
    A) always pointing (more or less) in the same direction (on the "firmament"), or
    B) always pointing at the Sun?
    Yeah, this kinda threw me too. If the "North Pole" of Uranus is always pointed at the sun, the planet would actually have two axes of rotation since it would have to slowly spin to keep one end toward the sun as it orbited...right? Maybe I didn't listen close enough. Little help?

Edit:
    Found my answer. Wikipedia says (A).
    "Near the time of Uranian solstices, one pole faces the Sun continually while the other pole faces away ... At the other side of Uranus' orbit the orientation of the poles towards the Sun is reversed. Each pole gets around 42 years of continuous sunlight, followed by 42 years of darkness."
    Last edited by Yankee; 2007-Sep-29 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Found the answer to my question

Birthday party at Absolute Zero

Pamela mentioned these two things:

"...somewhere else in the universe that is maybe completely isolated and sitting there going, "the universe is expanding around me but I'm not going to move."

and:

"The dude who's not moving is the one that celebrates it first"

So, is there then, this point in space from which the gridwork of the universe stretches from in all directions? ... an absolute zero in terms of relative motion? And if so, would this not be the "real" big bang birthday to which all other points in space would have adjust their clocks to celebrate?

A few episodes back, Pamela mentioned how the clocks on earth orbit satellites have to be adjusted periodically, forward in time, to match real time on earth. Is there some formula that calculates this same type of adjustment to match the "real" time at the center of the universe? So the further away we are from center, the more of an adjustment we have to make?

The episode is missing

Hello

Sorry for this first post of mine, its a huge bump on an old thread and its also sort of a complain
    As the title suggests, the episode is missing, can't download it in the archive or via the show page.

Besides this minor setback, i'm very happy to have found this podcast, since it happened, all the other podcasts i have been listening to so far, are on standby, while i try to catch up. I've started from episode 1 less then a month ago

Anyway, i hope that i can listen to this one soon, if not, its only a questions one, but always interesting nevertheless.

Thanks for making this show Fraser and Pamela, its really great, easy to understand and it allowed me to have a much better insight on astronomy.

Sorry for the bad english.

Cheers

Episodes 54 and 84 are missing

I have had no luck at all trying to get hold of these 2 episodes. In the last 2-3 weeks I've downloaded all the rest. I'm going through about 4 shows a day. Would love to complete the collection! If anyone's reading who can assist please do.

Loving the show.

Hey Fraser!!
    I have been listening to Astronomy Cast for a couple years now! I love it and have learned so much from it! Thanks for all your hard work!

--------------
    Andrew Primmer
    LearningAstronomy.com