Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A minor irk

Unhappy A minor irk

http://www.bautforum.com/fun-n-games...-thing-72.html

If you're going to play the game, pick one of the previous options in the most recent post as your "answer" and then post your own 2 options for the next poster to choose from.

I'm seeing lots of "contributors" to this fun-n-games thread refusing to answer the previous option, and instead giving some completely unrelated "answer" and then posting their own option (derailing the thread). Or parroting what others have posted previously.

It's a simple and straightforward game.
    Last edited by Nadme; 2008-Jan-12 at 01:41 PM. Reason: addition

that IS the point of the game, Nadme.

the game you are looking for is "this or that".

Quote Originally Posted by Nadme View Post
    ...I'm seeing lots of "contributors" to this fun-n-games thread refusing to answer the previous option, and instead giving some completely unrelated "answer" and then posting their own option...
    There are two games, This or That, and Or the Other Thing. The first is as you seem to think the other should be played. A good response to this second game should be neither of the two choices provided BUT it should relate to them somehow (best if it uses some secondary meanings of the two presented choices).

I'd also like to point out that if you find you aren't enjoying the direction of a particular game, you can vote with your feet, and not play. Please note that the moderators do NOT enforce the rules of these games. Heck we mostly don't even look at them these days.
    Forming opinions as we speak

...we mostly don't even look at them...
    I don't even go to the Fun and Games Forum. I barely have time for all the forums I am interested.
    In fact, I think "The Ultimate Astronomy Quiz" should be there instead of in the Astronomy Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    There are two games, This or That, and Or the Other Thing.
    Oh! I got them confused. My apologies.

I'd also like to point out that if you find you aren't enjoying the direction of a particular game, you can vote with your feet, and not play.
    That bit of snideness is uncalled for.

*matter dropped*

Quote Originally Posted by Nadme View Post
    That bit of snideness is uncalled for.
    It wasn't snide. I used to play these games, but stopped.

Please note that the moderators do NOT enforce the rules of these games.
    That would be interesting:

User XYZ permanently banned for using a misspelling to solve the acronym game, after previously having been warned for posting unrelated words in the word association game.

ROFL...

But on the topic of games, I think it is a large part of past time fun and stress relief for the members. You can go to most any forum on the net and find games because people like to have fun and learn simultaneously. I honestly think that this forum would suffer a bit without the games.

Nadme, I'd like to point out (if you didn't notice) that if you view the first page of almost any game, it will have some instruction on how/what to do.

Please note that the moderators do NOT enforce the rules of these games. Heck we mostly don't even look at them these days.
    That's why all we cool kids gather in those topics to discuss politics and religion and to curse and smoke and promote ATM theories. Haven't caught us! Nyah!
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by 01101001 View Post
    That's why all we cool kids gather in those topics to discuss politics and religion and to curse and smoke and promote ATM theories. Haven't caught us! Nyah!
    As long as all the ad homs are followed by smiley emoticons, and the copyrighted material is presented in fair use quantities and credited, and the cursing is too subtle for the usual watchdogs to complain about... fine by us.

Quote Originally Posted by montebianco View Post
    That would be interesting:
    Hab' ich Dich doch erwischt...

there is one mod that lurks there from time to time yes you know who you are! lol! keeping the games going!
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Arneb View Post
    Hab' ich Dich doch erwischt...
    Du hast. Ob Du das feiern sollst, ist eine andere Frage

Keine Sorge, nicht wie alle anderen, dann können wir lesen / sprechen Deutsch sowieso.

Warten Sie ...

Thumbs up

wußten Sie, daß ich diesen verwendenden Babel Fisch schrieb?

whoa!

I thought my screen changed it's settings from english to ...what the hell is that languange??

german

Deutsch

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    Unfortunately, the sentence it produced from what Dragon Star entered is crippled beyond recognition. I am actually unable to derive what Dragon Star wanted to tell us. The text you entered remained intelligible, but comes out in very bad German...

So you have my congratulations, Frog march - I find the concept of a machine producing even just barely intelligible translations absolutely staggering - but they are a bit, uhmm, muted.

Unfortunately, the sentence it produced from what Dragon Star entered is crippled beyond recognition. I am actually unable to derive what Dragon Star wanted to tell us. The text you entered remained intelligible, but comes out in very bad German...

So you have my congratulations, Frog march - I find the concept of a machine producing even just barely intelligible translations absolutely staggering - but they are a bit, uhmm, muted.
    They're just using an unusual Dialekt

Unfortunately, the sentence it produced from what Dragon Star entered is crippled beyond recognition.
    lol, Google Translator. It takes German to English very well.

So, what, in good English (und auch auf Deutsch, oder andere Sprache), did DS intend to say?

Let's see what others think, and then have DS tell us himself!

And a new fun-n-games thread will soon be born: Decipher the mangled translation :surprised

Thanks Frog March and Kapt K...

My guess:
    Did you know I wrote this using Babelfish?

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    My guess:
    Did you know I wrote this using Babelfish?

Google translate wrote it as
    Wussten Sie, ich schrieb dies mit Babelfish?
    I wonder if that's closer to real German.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

It is gramatically correct. Awkward, but correct.

The Babelfish machine interpreted "using" as an adjective, hence the mistake.

Fun with Google Translate

Input: "To write this, I used BF. Did you know that?"

Output: "Um diesen Artikel schreibe, habe ich BF. Wussten Sie, dass?"

Input: "I used a dictionary to write this. Did you know that?"

Output: "Ich habe ein Wörterbuch zu schreiben. Wussten Sie, dass?"

Input: "I used a dictionary to write my article. Did you know that?"

Output: "Ich habe ein Wörterbuch zu schreiben, meine Artikel. Wussten Sie, dass?"

- - - - - - - - - -
    Inference: if input is "I used Babel Fish to write this; did you know?", then (close to good German) output might be something like "Ich habe Babel Fisch zu schreiben; wussten Sie?"

No knowledge of German grammar required!

Of course, it might also be that "Ich habe Babel Fisch zu schreiben; wussten Sie?" is not only bad German, but also not what DS intended!

Talking ToSeeked

Quote Originally Posted by montebianco View Post
    And a new fun-n-games thread will soon be born: Decipher the mangled translation :surprised
    That game was invented before the internet.

IIRC, in a P.K. Dick sf-novel from the '70s, bored bureaucrats use a newly implemented online translation computer to translate a well known literary text into an other language, and then translate it back again.
    You'd win if you could identify the original.