Thread: How much, or does the Moon affect Solid Earth?

How much, or does the Moon affect Solid Earth?

We have tides based on phases of the moon, but can it cause earthquakes too?

"I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Well.... that was a quick one.

I feel stupid now.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEye View Post

I feel stupid now.
    Evil Eye, if you feel stupid imagine how I felt after my recent ATM effort on planets and earthquakes in which I mistook some fairly simple astronomical artifacts for evidence of significant causation. However, I am not quite sure why you feel stupid, given that the wiki page states the earth tides are caused by Moon and Sun gravitation which may trigger volcanic events, and that these tides have been shown by seismologists to correlate with microseismic events. I was roundly scolded for my admittedly rather amateurish investigations on a fairly closely related hypothesis.

For interest, I am attaching pictures of the angles between Saturn and the lunar node over the last century. Over 10,000 years this first chart would be a circle, but over 100 years you get the pretty flower. I tested this correlation against earthquake dates and wrongly assumed 100 years would be long enough to even out the artifacts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ask questions because I watch the science channel and am never sure whether to believe what I hear in one hour.

Most people get their information that way, and it really sounds good.... BUT......

and the BUT..... is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEye View Post

I feel stupid now.
    I ask questions because I watch the science channel and am never sure whether to believe what I hear in one hour.

Most people get their information that way, and it really sounds good.... BUT......

and the BUT..... is the problem.
    The fact that you ask these questions shows that you're not satisfied with what just "sounds really good". You want to know more. And that's something to feel smart about.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Never stop asking... It makes us better people. Having the humility to ask is respecting the fact that we do not know it all.
    Stupid is just a feeling you had. It is not a fact. Feel secure and be assured the asking serves you well. You are never alone.
    Your question has been studied by many as the correlation between Earth and Moon and sun positions must surely place a small extra strain on the tectonic plates from time to time. Earthquakes are fickle things... right when you would think one is likely, No such event... and then when all should be in harmony WHAM ! Seems to put this idea out for the night...or maybe not. It just seems reasonable to assume a.... but thats not born out by the facts. Described best as work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Wikipedia is great, but keep in mind it can be edited by anyone unless the article is locked. It can be a great springboard, but check the articles and sources the wiki-entry references, if any. This one has a few listed. If there aren't any references, look some up, or ask someone who knows where to look if you don't. Asking can be key--we'll just say I'm not the person being asked most times...