Thread: X-Prize

X-Prize

Prize lifts would-be spacefarers - article from the Baltimore Sun
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Hey, cool, I found them!

Advent Launch Services.

I'm looking into doing a comic book or comic strip about a fictional X-Prize team. Anybody got any ideas on characters, setting, etc?
    :-k

Ideas? Base it on Armadillo. They're a bunch of Texans, and that idea alone just does it for me.
    "Hey, Tex?"
    "Yeah Bud?"
    "Pass me that double hex flange, would ya?"
    "Yeeup."
    "And a beer."
    "Yeeup."
    Texas, of course, also gave us Project Thor, which sets out to hurl a Buick a hundred yards using a trebuchet. You could mush those two together...

Regardless of how realistic it is, the shop must "blow up" on occastion. Burnt cartoon characters are funny, regardless of how "not funny" their real life allegories are.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways
    I'm looking into doing a comic book or comic strip about a fictional X-Prize team. Anybody got any ideas on characters, setting, etc?
    :-k
    No, but if you have much in the way of bad astronomy in it, you DO realize we will have to gang beat you, right?

Anybody got any ideas on the design of the spaceship for my X-Prize comic? Right now I'm thinking of a two-stage-to-orbit system using perhaps a 747 to lift a smaller orbiter craft to an altitude where the orbiter would launch into space.

Wow...

I had no idea the x-prize existed till I read this post.

Learn something new every day I guess

Thanks ToSeek great article.

~Atticus05

Anybody got any ideas on the design of the spaceship for my X-Prize comic? Right now I'm thinking of a two-stage-to-orbit system using perhaps a 747 to lift a smaller orbiter craft to an altitude where the orbiter would launch into space.
    I've always wanted to try to make a rocket out of concrete. Use those big sewer pipe sections they have, with steel plating inside and out. A big, quick, dirty rocket for cheap. Assuming you could rig it so the concrete didn't melt.

In my senior design class one of our groups' project is working the AIAA research competition to provide an answer exceding the x-prize requirements. These things are pretty commonly used to achieve such lofty goals. More money is generally spent on research and development than is awarded, but then I guess that's the key.

Well, these guys are already doing things that way... and IIRC there was another team using a 7?7 as a first stage for their rocket. I recall seeing a picture of them posed in front of the airplane they scrounged up. My thoughts at the time as an amateur pilot-wannabe were "Geez that thing looks beat up". I think they dropped out, but I'm not sure.

Heck, you could make that part of your comic. A new design, every week! Lord knows that's how some people operate.

I've always wondered how using a plane as a first stage would work. It'd still have to be a big rocket, and you'd either have to fire it on the plane (incinerating the plane) or drop it (which means rigging up some way to carry this big rocket underneath a plane).

Actually, I think it would be really neat if you could find some way of modifying something that already exists into a suborbital vehicle. An update of one of the X-planes would look fantastic. Actually, if you want something that looks spiffy, what about something based on the D-21? This was a Ramjet-propelled spy UAV that launched from the SR-71. Now THERE's a plane that deserves to be the first stage in a space vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by atticus05
    Wow...

I had no idea the x-prize existed till I read this post.

Learn something new every day I guess

Thanks ToSeek great article.

~Atticus05
    Sorry to break your heart.
    The whole X-prize thing is a hoax created by some members of the BABB.
    The first time you logged into this site, your computer was hacked to provide links to news articles, and websites, that would make it seem real.
    Sorry for getting your hopes up, but it is just a thing we do with new members.

I did the Armadillo site, and I think Kilopi, was it, did the other.

Well, WolfKC and I are responsible for Nancy Lieder. I can't believe some of you guys thought an actual person could say such ridiculous things.

P.S. Wolf, you're way behind on your lens flare images.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Hmmm....

I only have one thought in all of this hoax talk

To quote the x-files: "TRUST NO ONE"

:wink:

~Atticus05

"Two Teams Lead The Pack... Armadillo's current design is a single-stage vehicle with "non-traditional operating features...The Black Armadillo's propulsion system consists of four pressure-fed, hydrogen peroxide, monopropellant system rocket engines fed from a single tank..."We expect to have a winner within the next nine to 12 months," Diamandis proclaimed in a presentation Friday to FAA officials. The FAA is also planning ahead, as it has already approved the launch applications of the aforementioned companies. The agency also approved a Mojave airport location for use as a launch pad..."
    http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive.../134-full.html

still such a "scary" idea. at least in my weak feeble mind. I'm sure to them, building a avionic device to reach the breaker point of earth and space ....would be like me building a super computer. Except....I won't die failing. I am sure they are competent, and have seen of the "designs" proposed.

Curious to see how this turns out.

12/08/03 update:
    "... two more teams have joined the race...Space Transport Corp., of Washington State...will have an unmanned three-stage rocket launch within 60 days. Also joining the fray was the High Altitude Research Corp. Inc., which revealed its 40-foot rocket Nov. 22 at its Huntsville, Ala., headquarters. The two new entries bring the total to 26. Meanwhile... Canadian Arrow has successfully tested the engine of its V-2 based design. The rocket, developing 57,000 pounds of thrust, is believed to be the largest liquid-fueled rocket ever fired in Canada...the Rutan team['s]...SpaceShipOne has now flown 10 times, seven of them in free flight..."
    http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#186222
    http://www.xprize.org/

I'd make the orbiter a red sphereoid, and you could have a subplot of Nancy "Take Me to Your" Lieder freaking out about the INCOMING! PX.

Quote Originally Posted by Betenoire
    I did the Armadillo site, and I think Kilopi, was it, did the other.
    Isn't the Armadillo team leader the brain behind Id software? I'm suprised their craft doesn't have a "Doom" theme!

Update...01.21.04
    "...Florida and New Mexico finalists in the bid to host the first annual X PRIZE Cup...two-week long event will take place at the same time and same location each year...in a series races resulting in a single winner..."
    http://www.xprize.com/
    [/img]

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned SpaceShipOne, Burt Rutan's entry...
    Currently the only privately-built vehicle to have broken Mach one...

...And the only one who's previously proven himself capable of achieving these things. (Voyager around the world flight)

We could call the strip "The X-men" (what? done already?)

You'd have to name one of the main characters "Zephrym", just for the Star Trek nod.

(Zephrym Cochran was the name of the guy that invented the Warp Drive in the Star Trek mythos)