Thread: Life is too short-Scientifically-SO what if???

Life is too short-Scientifically-SO what if???

Just because I'm a curious idiot....

WHAT IF we could all live to be 150 years old or so and stay as mentally alert and healthy as we are now (),

What Universe/Planetary/Space questions would you want answered or mysteries would you like to see proven to be fact??? Limit two short answers.

Personally, I'd like to see detailed pictures of any Kuiper Belt Objects and Oort Cloud Objects up close, and what interstellar space looks like looking back towards the Sun. Completely beyond the Solar System boundary where Voyagers I & II are now.
    Just getting there would answer allot of questions, and create a billion more.

How to deal with overpopulation...

Life isn't so short. After all, it's the longest thing you can do.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

How to live longer, 150 just ain't enough.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

As mentally healthy as I am now? Now, there's a loaded statement.

Um, how to figure out which psychological drugs work on which patients without the tedious trial-and-error system we have now?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

It's a scientifically proven fact that people who have the most birthdays live the longest

Quote Originally Posted by torque of the town View Post
    It's a scientifically proven fact that people who have the most birthdays live the longest
    Well, if that's true, from now on I'm going to try to have at least one a week!

Unless you were born on a leap year that is.

If I could live to 150 I'd like to see a probe sent to a nearby star. And cities that move on giant hydrolic legs, just for kicks :

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    As mentally healthy as I am now? Now, there's a loaded statement.

Um, how to figure out which psychological drugs work on which patients without the tedious trial-and-error system we have now?
    That'll likely happen in the next 50 years. Are you 100 years old already?

A senior friend very bright & fit until death said to me on his 90th birthday, "you know, tj, you can live too bloody long..." He still drove himself and his second wife down to Florida every winter at that age. But he missed all his old pals who had died before him. Died when he was 96.

Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    That'll likely happen in the next 50 years. Are you 100 years old already?
    And they said that paraplegics would be able to walk again within the decade in 1970... :s

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    And they said that paraplegics would be able to walk again within the decade in 1970... :s
    Depends on the "THEY". I never heard a neurologist say that, or anyone else who knew the problems.
    But now it's 2008, we know much much more and the problem Gilianren wants solved is not as difficult as making & connecting new neurons.

But now it's 2008, we know much much more and the problem Gilianren wants solved is not as difficult as making & connecting new neurons.
    Perhaps not, but it is awfully important to me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Perhaps not, but it is awfully important to me.
    Of course. I gathered that from some of your posts on other threads. But there's hope of major advances that are not daydreams, so be of good cheer

Yes but 97.3% of those people will die at some point in their lives.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Yes but 97.3% of those people will die at some point in their lives.
    And the rest not long after.

I'll settle for ten more guaranteed years. I want to see the solar eclipse in the western US in 2017. The path of totality goes over my house. Although I want to be on a headland on the coast if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    I'll settle for ten more guaranteed years. I want to see the solar eclipse in the western US in 2017. The path of totality goes over my house. Although I want to be on a headland on the coast if possible.
    Assuming it's clear that day, of course, which is not a safe assumption around here.

"You can't erase icing."

August, isn't it? A decent chance.

Any excuse to hit the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
    WHAT IF we could all live to be 150 years old or so and stay as mentally alert and healthy as we are now (),
    How about as much as we were ten years ago? Can we roll back the odometer a little? I won't tell...

Mobile Cities... Kewl!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    If I could live to 150 I'd like to see a probe sent to a nearby star. And cities that move on giant hydrolic legs, just for kicks :
    Yeah, a nearby star was among my first thoughts also, but seeing how Voyager I & II have barely left the Solar System after 35 years, I was assuming "IF" they would start the program today............ (as quickly as these things develope)

I figured 150 years would be about the limit of my brain's capacity to hold onto all the mind numbing stuff involved with the Universe. That single cell has to explode sooner or later!!

The mobile city idea is intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
    I figured 150 years would be about the limit of my brain's capacity to hold onto all the mind numbing stuff involved with the Universe. That single cell has to explode sooner or later!!
    There are potential solutions to that, too. In 150 years technology may be advanced enough to transfer memories, allowing you to keep some of your experiences in external storage, or transfer it to a newly-grown set of neurons.

Unless you were born on a leap year that is.

I'm 50. My oldest brother will celebrate his 15th birthday this year. A friend of mine will celebrate her 17th birthday on the same day.

I have seen the future. The ultra wealthy will be spending a large portion of their incomes to live to 125, then to 150 and eventually, they will live average about 400 years while the rest are left to catch up with current technology. Some of you might live long enough to reap the benefits however, you don't know the horrors that lay ahead. You don't know about the Al-Ashfeer movent. a purist movement that seeks the restoration of the human lifespan in order with the Koran that will attack the Kazuo, a group of well, immortals through science that will rule a few city-states in Asia in the next century or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RalofTyr View Post
    I have seen the future. The ultra wealthy will be spending a large portion of their incomes to live to 125, then to 150 and eventually, they will live average about 400 years while the rest are left to catch up with current technology. Some of you might live long enough to reap the benefits however, you don't know the horrors that lay ahead. You don't know about the Al-Ashfeer movent. a purist movement that seeks the restoration of the human lifespan in order with the Koran that will attack the Kazuo, a group of well, immortals through science that will rule a few city-states in Asia in the next century or so.
    I'll be living off-Earth by then anyway, far from the mad(ding) crowd.

...But now it's 2008, we know much much more and the problem Gilianren wants solved is not as difficult as making & connecting new neurons.
    Progress:
    June 2007
    ...Over the last 20 years, research has shown that neurogenesis, the creation of new brain cells, actually occurs in the adult human...
    Society for Neuroscience