Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting PM Spam

Reporting PM Spam

Hate to rain on anybody's parade, but there's a spammer in our midst.

Jeannette just got banned from a board on which I mod, for the very same reason...She sent me this PM today, on BAUT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette
    Hi,
    I'm new here, how's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

---
    Jeannette
    <link to advertised site deleted by moderator, no need to give them even more exposure>
    She SPAMMED numerous other people on my board, and got canned because of it.

I've no problem with individual beliefs. But this is widespread promotion of an ideology and website at the expense of the privacy of others.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, here. I'm just letting you guys know what up.

Thanks for the heads up. You can always report this sort of thing by clicking the little red triangle in the upper righthand corner of the post itself. This goes straight to all the Mods.

(Welcome to BAUT, btw!)

Oops, just noticed this was to report a PM. You can forward the PM to one or more Mods.
    Last edited by Jim; 2008-Jan-15 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Oops
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I banned Jeannette.
    Jeannette had zero posts. I'm not sure we'll be able to catch future PM spammers unless the membership is quick to report these.

As Jim says, when you see these, forward the PM to a moderator or two.
    *OR* Hit the Red-Outlined triangle on THIS post, and include the name of the Spammer.
    Moderators will see this alert much faster than they would see a PM.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I banned Jeannette.
    Jeannette had zero posts.
    Whoa! You banned someone for spamming another board?
    I'm all for nipping spam in the bud, but isn't peremptory banning just a little (should I say it) God like?

Quote Originally Posted by From the OP
    She sent me this PM today, on BAUT.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Ok!

Petter01 is spamming with PMs

I can't see where to flag the posts on the PM screen and I tried sending the mods a message but there are 2 more spam posts again today.

Surely I can't be the only one getting these?

They look like this:

Default Hi beskeptical
    I am completely new to this Forum and I am actively looking for new places to learn from. I have found that there is a lot to pick up from most Forum's even if you are just lurking in the beginning. Of course, when I find something really interesting, it is also good to place a post with a question or a comment to get even more out of it. I look forward to being a lurker here (for starters) and then we will see.....

=====================
    From Petter in Florida:
    Do You Want Success?
    <link to advertised site deleted by moderator, no need to give them even more exposure>
    ====================
    Forward Message
    with the obvious angle of trying to get people to answer the sig line.

Hmmm, shows post count 0 yet there are 4 alone in my box. The person must only be posting PMs.

Sorry, didn't see the sticky thread.

Never mind, I'll put this info there.

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical View Post
    I can't see where to flag the posts on the PM screen and I tried sending the mods a message but there are 2 more spam posts again today.

Surely I can't be the only one getting these?
    No. I received one of these a few days ago. The mods must have caught the poster, since he/she is now banned.

BTW, good to see you around, beskeptical.

Petter01 is spamming PMs. I've now had 4 of these:

Default Hi beskeptical
    I am completely new to this Forum and I am actively looking for new places to learn from. I have found that there is a lot to pick up from most Forum's even if you are just lurking in the beginning. Of course, when I find something really interesting, it is also good to place a post with a question or a comment to get even more out of it. I look forward to being a lurker here (for starters) and then we will see.....

=====================
    From Petter in Florida:
    Do You Want Success?
    ====================
    Forward Message
    The obvious angle is trying to get people to answer the sig line.

Hmmm, shows post count 0 yet there are 4 alone in my box. The person must only be posting PMs.

And now I'm confused since this is a sticky thread. I thought maybe it was for ongoing notices. Well, now it's here and in a thread all its own.

You have done the right thing here. Thanks. If you click the alert button (which you did), even better. When you do click alert, please be sure to give the user name of the PM Spammer... Petter01 is gone now.

PM Spammers are a new style of attacks on forums. We are developing ways to identify them, but so far we are relying on members to report them.

antoniseb, an idea I've implemented on a few forums in the past...

Set a new user group to anyone with 0 posts, and the current user group to start at 1 post.

the user group with 0 posts would not have the ability to Private Message. Many of these spammers simply go through the User-List with predefined macros.

Just got one from fdffdfdfdfd

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    Just got one from fdffdfdfdfd
    Whoa...

That name sent me a PM in Yahoo Messenger

I have noticed that quite often I have been getting Spam PM's in Yahoo and since I don't go to chatrooms, I could not figure out why...

Maybe it is the spam bots on BAUT?
    This thought never occurred to me before but in retrospect- I have had it most often Since I joined the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    Whoa...

That name sent me a PM in Yahoo Messenger
    I'd recommend to all users that they not put Messenger connection referrals in public forum profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I'd recommend to all users that they not put Messenger connection referrals in public forum profiles.
    If you mean like this one named "Reporting PM spam" then I am totally confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    If you mean like this one named "Reporting PM spam" then I am totally confused!
    No, like you have not in your BAUT Forum public profile contact info:

Email:
    Send a message via email to Kaptain K
    Private Message:
    Send a private message to Kaptain K
    No messaging service link there. Thus, you will not be spammed via messaging service by someone (or some robot) using BAUT.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Merged other thread specifically about Petter01's PM spam.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I've never received spam from PM

You guys must be special

Pete (not to be confused with Petter01 !)

They rarely reach the M's, let alone the P's. There's safety in letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    They rarely reach the M's, let alone the P's. There's safety in letters.
    I suspect they go for whoever is logged in during the attack, so 01101001 is probably our canary in the coal mine for these guys.

True, some apparently do. I've only ever gotten the one, ever, and I may have been off my usual hours at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    I suspect they go for whoever is logged in during the attack, so 01101001 is probably our canary in the coal mine for these guys.
    I don't think I've ever received any PM spam. Maybe one a long time ago, but it was less spam and more nonsense. Seemed more like an odd human was just attracted by my bright shiny username.

Still chirping. Happily. Maybe because I cloak activity. I have Use Invisible Mode in my options.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

There's another spammer that posted about 15 minutes ago on the Small Media page.

Spam is rapidly spreading to other pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    Spam is rapidly spreading to other pages.
    Just use the triangle report-button when viewing a topic with a spam article. (But, don't for this case as I already did.)

(This is for reporting PM, private message, spam, where no such button exists.)

Edit: They are draining away fast, and it appears the gongo is banned, so some mod is on the job.

Thanks. I never paid any attention to that symbol before and didn't know what it meant. Filed for future info.

Thanks. I never paid any attention to that symbol before and didn't know what it meant. Filed for future info.

Actually, I saw Larry Jacks' post here and went after gongo with glee and fervor.

But, yes, the Little Red Triangle is the preferred method.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board