Thread: Member List

Member List

I was noodling around the forum options and found a way to shorten the member list to only people who have posted at least 10 times. Let me know if you have a problem with this and want me to change it back, or make it even more strict - like, gasp, 12 posts.

I'd like it back, unless it has been any sort of a burden for the system.

That sort of pruned list has, I believe, always been optionally available. From the Members List, select Search Members :: Advanced Search, and fill out the form:

Post Count
    is Greater than or Equal to
    [10]

Right now, using a similar Advanced Search maneuver, I wasn't able to list the members with post count less than 10 -- maybe because they have been "disappeared".

Is there left any method to get a full list? It's not that I ever really want to browse the full list, but it's comforting to think it's available if needed.

But, if what you did makes the forum slimmer or faster or more pleasant in any way, that's fine. I can go without.

===

Edit: On second thought, I just recalled a use for the full member list, no matter how few posts they have made: for comparison of growth in the topic 7x 8x 9000th Poster!. Some of us weren't looking at the full list, itself, but were looking at the count associated with it. One article, quotes a member count:

([24 August 2007] around 22300)
    Yeah, it was mostly an exercise in extreme trivia.

Using similar methods, the current member count from the Member List is:

Showing results [...] of 3332
    That's quite a difference -- but due to 1) passage of time during which some unknown number of members were gained and 2) a loss of at least 18000 members because they are in the now-unreported 10-posts or less class.
    Last edited by 01101001; 2008-Feb-04 at 08:09 PM.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

How about deleting all members who have been members X number of years (say since the merger) and have never posted!

The list is huge, but sometimes I need to find someone who's only posted once.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by antoniseb View Post
    The list is huge, but sometimes I need to find someone who's only posted once.
    Which is why I suggested removing only those who had never posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    How about deleting all members who have been members X number of years (say since the merger) and have never posted!
    Because sometimes people lurk for an extended period of time, using the log in to track unread posts, subscriptions, to prevent the ads non-members get.

Other than disk space, it doesn't especially hurt to leave them in place.

But if the admin were ever to take that path, I'd recommend only doing it for members who have never posted and have not logged onto the board within 3-4 months or so, and to only do it after a full backup was done, in case the dbms has a serious problem handling the deletion of a large number of unique keys.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

"We are here! We are here! We are here!" - BAUT Hears a Who

Jeepers we people with low posts counts are people too.

Personally, I'd think not logging in over a certain period of time is a way more useful criterion.

I'm senior moderator at big discussion board elsewhere and we focus on that more than number of posts.

Just my .02

I read this forum to learn. I dont post very often (as you can tell) and I havent been a member of this forum very long. Removing people that dont have a certain post count would suck. Though I suppose the worst case scenario would be that I rejoin

I don't think anyone's talking about actually removing anyone. (Well, except the vocal minority who wants to get rid fo people who've been members for years but never actually said anything.) Just not showing them on the member list. After all, everyone started with fewer than ten posts; it's not possible not to.

If we are to stop showing anyone on the member list, it should be those people who've never said anything. I'm aware of why they have screen names, but in my opinion, true membership is a two-way street, and if you're not saying anything, that's not a two-way street. Now, I'm not saying those people should be eliminated. Just that I don't care much about their presence; they've never made most of us care, except those few who want to get rid of them and those few who care about having x thousand members, even if a majority have never posted and probably will never post.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I'm never going to remove anyone. Moose gave many of the good reasons why someone might want to be a member and not actually make posts.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    I read this forum to learn. I dont post very often (as you can tell) and I havent been a member of this forum very long. Removing people that dont have a certain post count would suck. Though I suppose the worst case scenario would be that I rejoin
    I join my fellow Oregonian in this. Maybe a simple filter would be to trim out those from being seen in member-list that have never posted? IE leave them in the database, but don't show them in any listing unless they have posted at-least once. Should be a simple alteration to the SQL statement on the member list screen: SELECT .... WHERE PostCount > 0

Actually, if you'd read the OP in detail you'd have seen that that's exactly what's been done, except with 9 instead of 0.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Are members who have never posted and who haven't logged on in a
    long time (like six months or a year) removed? I don't see any reason
    why they shouldn't be deleted entirely.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Are members who have never posted and who haven't logged on in a long time (like six months or a year) removed? I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be deleted entirely.
    No, they're not; the reason they aren't is that there are a fair number of people who have screen names so they can keep track of what threads have been posted in since last time they checked. Now, I can't imagine doing that and never actually posting, but apparently, they can, and there's no reason to stop them from doing so.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

One member joined for the sole purpose of sending me a PM to re-establish contact Actually, I was using the lyrics of one of his songs as my sig in hopes that that someone would recognize it as his. So, it worked for both of us. In any event, he won't be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root
    Are members who have never posted and who haven't logged on in a
    long time (like six months or a year) removed? I don't see any reason
    why they shouldn't be deleted entirely
    No, they're not; the reason they aren't is that there are a fair number
    of people who have screen names so they can keep track of what
    threads have been posted in since last time they checked. Now, I
    can't imagine doing that and never actually posting, but apparently,
    they can, and there's no reason to stop them from doing so.
    Does that still work after six months? Several people just complained
    in the thread http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/...st-unread.html that the record
    goes away in just a few days. Maybe that's something else? Even
    if the system does show new posts over such a long time period, does
    it provide anything useful? If the threads are listed in order of most
    recent posting, the first ten or a hundred pages will all be new threads.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

You're right, Jeff; I missed the "haven't logged on in six months" part. However, I don't see why they should be deleted entirely, either. If it's not a strain on the system, and it doesn't seem to be, why bother?

"You can't erase icing."

OK, suppose one of the "lost sheep" comes back, but has forgotten his/her password? On going to the member's list, finds no listing for the name they used. What next? I would assume that I had been deleted!

If they have access to the email address they had on record with BAUT, BABB, and/or UT while they were participating, then it's simply a matter of clicking the "lost password?" link somewhere near the login box, and checking that email for the reset password.

If they lost access to that email address, oh well, there's plenty of handles left out there for them to choose from. For folks who rarely/never post, I can't see them being especially upset by the prospect.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.