Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are threads being moderated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why are threads being moderated

I try to post answers to questions tonight and get the message that it needs to be reviewed by the system administrator.. what is that all about ..........

Until a member makes a certain number of posts, his posts are sent to a queue. This is an attempt to stop spam.

Welcome to BAUT though, malevy . Hurry up and convince the mods that you are not spam so we can hear what you have to say

Quote Originally Posted by malevy View Post
    I try to post answers to questions tonight and get the message that it needs to be reviewed by the system administrator.. what is that all about ..........
    If you have only made a few posts and try to make a post with link to a website, it'll be set to be moderated.
    This also happens if you're quoting someone else who has a link in the text you're quoting.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Hmm. I would have sworn that I posted a reply to this right after it went up (before tinaa). Maybe I skipped submit and went straight to to Forum Jump! Beware of "oldtimers' disease"! Anyway, my minuscule contribution to this thread is lost in (cyber)space.

Ok I understand now about the moderation. I ran a small photography forum for a while and would get the occasional spammer that would just annoy the heck out of me. Not a big deal..

Why Not?

It is the best moderated forum that I know of. UT/BAUT strikes the right balance of openness, moderation, and tolerance. And it's fun. And there are some very bright professional and amateur people from all walks of life on here. You'll learn boodles of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by malevy View Post
    Ok I understand now about the moderation. I ran a small photography forum for a while and would get the occasional spammer that would just annoy the heck out of me. Not a big deal..
    Around here, it's far from "occasional," hence the protective measure. You'd have to get the exact numbers from the moderators, but there was one night not long ago when I flagged two of them for moderator attention myself, and--before there were moderators who were regularly online during the (PST) late night hours--I used to flag half a dozen or so every night. I'm sure there were plenty that I never saw even then, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    Hmm. I would have sworn that I posted a reply to this right after it went up (before tinaa).
    You know, itīs happened to me one or two times in other occasions. Weird.

What Was the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    You know, itīs happened to me one or two times in other occasions. Weird.
    Sometimes it hiccups. Sometimes it's supposed to hiccup. Got any links hiding in your posts? You might not know about them, even.

I had caught a newbie with a very unacceptable username & told the moderators.

I think that threads should be moderated, if not, it will become an undisciplined free for all.

Fortunately for the well established BAUT members, this is a total non issue as they do not post ad homs, troll, cause offense or promote ATM.

We may not always agree, but we do not descend into farce & insults, but instead a very interesting discussion evolves out of it & we all learn something new & get new insights from each other.

Unfortunately some newbies may & do try it on to be offensive, rude, promote ATM, etc. This sort of behaviour MUST be stamped on as soon as anyone here sees it & those behaving as such inappropriately be banned without delay.

I think the BAUT moderators are very good & have no nor expect problems with any of them.

In short, if you play good, then there is no problem. Also the well established members I am sure will report trolling or such anyway to the moderators, or at least I hope so.

Just my tuppence worth.

Andrew Brown.

Almost Always

Quote Originally Posted by 3488 View Post

Fortunately for the well established BAUT members, this is a total non issue as they do not post ad homs, troll, cause offense or promote ATM.
    I flagged a thread that degenerated into a squabble amongst well established members earlier this year. The moderators' reactions were the same as mine, namely 'What are you guys doing? For shame, cut it out now!' Which they did, promptly, with apologies all around.

It is a curious property of humans that we respond so well to expectations of good behavior.

Speaking of flagging, does anybody know how to report a comment post on the new main page? I couldn't find the little triangle that was on the old page.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Speaking of flagging, does anybody know how to report a comment post on the new main page? I couldn't find the little triangle that was on the old page.
    Speaking of new main pages, what new main page? Do you mean BAUT Forum?

And, what is a "comment post"? How about a link to the page of which you speak?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

won't the spambots just post x number of gobbledygook posts and then post their link?

and then forums will have to make a limit on the number of posts that someone can post in a certain time.....and on, and on

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    .....and on, and on
    spam marches on

Quote Originally Posted by hhEb09'1 View Post
    spam marches on
    Yes, at dawn, the sun casts an uncertain light over an army of the dead.
    An army made from rotting, worm and maggot ridden meat.
    The stench of death went before them, like demonic scouts.
    They marched in their boots, they marched in their bones
    They marched across the world until they were alone.
    Flies filled the air, and the lord of the flies was their command
    Their sergeant at arms.
    Spam marches on.

Google says that is original? awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Frog march View Post
    won't the spambots just post x number of gobbledygook posts and then post their link?
    Maybe so, but we've had spambot "stealth greetings" before. They've usually been detectable by their excessive genericness and confirmed through Google.
    and then forums will have to make a limit on the number of posts that someone can post in a certain time.....and on, and on
    Flood control existed on BAUT since day one at at least BABB for years prior. The moderation queue is relatively recent. I can't remember offhand if the flood control is set to one or two minutes, but every few months, I go a bit too quickly and bump into it.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

If you're talking about comments to the blog, they are not part of the board and is governed by different rules.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    If you're talking about comments to the blog, they are not part of the board and is governed by different rules.
    Hm, I think I missed something. Didn't they used to look like these posts, with the same rules? The Universe Today story comments, that is.

Hm, I think I missed something. Didn't they used to look like these posts, with the same rules? The Universe Today story comments, that is.
    I think Henrik was referring to the BA's blog.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Link please to what you are asking about? I still don't understand which "Universe Today story comments" are of concern.

Do you mean comments appearing on the Universe Today site, like this one: a Universe Today comment on the UT "Great Images" article?

Or, do you mean comments to articles about Universe Today articles that apppear on the BAUT Forum, like this one: a BAUT Forum comment on the UT "Great Images" article?
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

I don't understand closing a thread over a rules violation by a member---who goes unpunished---even tho that same member clearly has enough posts to know the rules. What happened to individual responsibility?
    (e.g.)

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong View Post
    I don't understand closing a thread over a rules violation by a member---who goes unpunished---even tho that same member clearly has enough posts to know the rules. What happened to individual responsibility?
    (e.g.)
    toejam has apologized privately to the moderators. He said it was late at night, and he forgot he was on a forum that forbade political discussions as others that he's on have no problem with it.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

(e.g.)
    Since I closed the thread with no warnings, I'll respond. Toejam had not been in trouble before and this was a pretty minor infraction. The thread was difficult to keep on topic anyway. Like the others said, better close it early than hand out warnings later.

AND...Many times I warn via PM. That way the problem usually gets fixed without a public whoopin'. SO while I didn't warn Toejam this time, I very well could have and you'd have never known it!

It was going to happen sooner or later. Better to "nip it in the bud" now than wait until it reached the point that somebody got banned too!

ETA I think the mods were very tolerant. Several posters were already skating on thin ice as it was, not just the one who triggered the closing!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain K View Post
    ...Several posters were already skating on thin ice as it was, not just the one who triggered the closing!
    Yes, I understand that example thread; so why not 'moderate' the offender(s) vs. thread closure?

If everything here was handled by punishment instead of reminders when people seem able to learn, you could be facing one now for Rule 16 violation.

Would you prefer that or would you rather have a gentle reminder that you're skirting on thin ice and might want to back down?

The board works best when things that can be accomplished gently, are.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    ...or would you rather have a gentle reminder that you're skirting on thin ice and might want to back down?...
    Well, yes---I think that is the correct procedure. It just seems (and I could be wrong) that there is a tendency to close a thread rather than address individual infractions.

there is a tendency to close a thread rather than address individual infractions.
    I'm inclined to close threads if I think that there are several people going down a bad path, and that the thread itself naturally draws people in that bad direction. In some cases, I will issue warnings, and other cases, I will just mention what the problem is. I use judgment to determine how strongly I need to demand change of behavior. In most cases, I seem to get it about right. People who I choose to remind but not warn take a step back, and don't typically repeat the problem (for a long time).

Also worth noting. I, and the other mods, are willing to reopen threads when a good case is made for reopening them. Sometimes threads are closed for a cooling off period only.
    Forming opinions as we speak