Thread: Giant "Sea Monster" Fossil Discovered in Arctic

Giant "Sea Monster" Fossil Discovered in Arctic

National Geographic: Giant "Sea Monster" Fossil Discovered in Arctic

A massive prehistoric sea reptile that was longer than a humpback whale and had teeth the size of cucumbers has been found by fossil hunters on a remote Arctic island. [...]

Measuring some 50 feet (15 meters) in length, the bone-crunching predator represents one of the largest marine reptiles ever known, according to a team led by Jørn Hurum of the Natural History Museum in Oslo, Norway.
    [...]
    Inside their enormous skulls they had huge areas of muscle available for biting force. One of these animals would have been big and strong enough to pick up a small car and bite it in half."

Forrest added that he recently studied the remains of a 23-foot-long (7-meter) plesiosaur that almost certainly fell victim to a pliosaur.

"There's evidence that it was hit extremely hard and basically just ripped apart," he said.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

There are some animals that I'm glad are extinct. This is one.

Hm. Looks like a pliosaur to me, not a plesiosaur. Could they have got the two confused?
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

15m in length? That's not so big.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Hm. Looks like a pliosaur to me, not a plesiosaur. Could they have got the two confused?
    Pliosaurs are a subgroup of plesiosaurs, at least if you count all members of Plesiosauria as plesiosaurs.

Hm. Ok.

When I think of a plesiosaur I always think of the long-necked Nessie type. The big Liopleurodon-types I think of as pliosaurs.

Still, this looks like Walking With Dinosaurs at least got the whole Liopleurodon thing half-right, yes? There ARE giant pliosaurs out there.

Which means I can now watch this coolness free of paleontological guilt.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The articfle says: "But the newfound plesiosaur is thought to have been a pliosaur, and pliosaurs were different from other plesiosaurs." I think they were trying to call it a member of the Plesiosauridae family.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

Long necks and short necks right?

To add to the confusion during one of the extinction events all the original long necks died out and the short necks evolved to fill the long neck niche.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

15m in length? That's not so big.
    Hm... a meter is about three feet. Three times 15 is 45.
    So, roughly fourty-five feet. Wouldn't want that chasing me, that's for sure!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

my truck is over 15 feet.

besides out of the water this thing would be extremely slow.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    my truck is over 15 feet.

besides out of the water this thing would be extremely slow.
    So, that's 4.6 metres and less than a third the length of this beast...
    and how fast is your truck in the water?

Here's an illustration comparing the pliosaur's size to a human diver (and blue whale):

© Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Norway

Get... in... my... belly!

Other pictures, of field work, illustrations, and such at University of Oslo, Natural History Museum: Pliosaurus

Monitor lizards adapted to the marine enviroment.

Who's bright idea was that? I had a nice warm Nile monitor get out of its tank when I had company and in less than five seconds every single person in the room was bleeding. 7 grown men.

That was a new record for me for the most unintentionally hurt guests at a poker game. Still stands. The dumb lizard didn't fall for the stick but instead went for my arm. Ran up my arm and then across the shoulders of evrybody in the room in a big circle where he then launched himself off an aquaintence's head and landed on top of the refridgerator. (You didn't want to have been him. For some reason he never came back. Might have been the facial cuts)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

For a good size comparison try Mike Everhart's page.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    There are some animals that I'm glad are extinct. This is one.
    I have an affinity though