Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I. Am. Iron. Man.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Well, the X-Men do have a serious message about descrimination.
    The moral of the story does not determine the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "Can" and "has" are two different concepts.

I will be seeing it tomorrow. I go in expecting superhero physics--it doesn't matter, for example, that the Iron Man suit is pretty aerodynamically unsound. There's no such thing as magic, either, and I read Harry Dresden books. (I don't watch the copy of the show that Graham owns, though, because I've read the books.) If it's trying to be real science fiction, the flying suit or the magic or the Beast kills it. But this is a genre disconnected from reality.
    Meh. At one time, scientists dismissed space travel. Dismissed the notion of nuclear energy. Dismissed many things. And, in time, they were proven wrong.

That being said . . . .

I saw Iron Man and enjoyed it. And, with Downey appearing in the Hulk film, sounds like Marvel is getting closer to doing the Avengers movie. Of course, I'm sure some will poo-poo that since Thor is it.

If you stay until after the credits there is an extra scene involving Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury that sets up either an Iron Man sequel, a Nick Fury movie, or an Avengers movie (or even all three).

I find it hard to believe that they'll do an Avengers movie for the same reason that I don't expect to ever see a Justice League movie that casts Christian Bale as Batman... too many big name actors fighting over screen time and who gets top billing.

I didn't know Robert Downey Jr. was going to be in the Hulk movie. I watched them film a bit of that down the street from where I live and saw Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. A local restaurant was set up to look like "Stanley's Pizza Parlor" (a play on Stan Lee's name). Stan Lee's cameo in Iron Man was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarOrbit View Post
    If you stay until after the credits there is an extra scene involving Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury that sets up either an Iron Man sequel, a Nick Fury movie, or an Avengers movie (or even all three).

I find it hard to believe that they'll do an Avengers movie for the same reason that I don't expect to ever see a Justice League movie that casts Christian Bale as Batman... too many big name actors fighting over screen time and who gets top billing.

I didn't know Robert Downey Jr. was going to be in the Hulk movie. I watched them film a bit of that down the street from where I live and saw Edward Norton and Liv Tyler. A local restaurant was set up to look like "Stanley's Pizza Parlor" (a play on Stan Lee's name). Stan Lee's cameo in Iron Man was pretty funny.
    Spoiler alert maybe? Not everyone has seen the movie.

Check www.imdb.com for Downey's appearance in the Hulk flick. Marvel is making a push to "unify" it franchises. Which, as a long-time comics fan, I think is really cool.

Stan Lee's cameo in Iron Man was pretty funny.
    What was it? I missed it. I saw the one in Spider-man 3 (clumsy) but didn't think to look for him in Iron Man until I saw his name in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    What was it? I missed it. I saw the one in Spider-man 3 (clumsy) but didn't think to look for him in Iron Man until I saw his name in the credits.
    Well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is reading this thread but hasn't seen the movie yet...

*** SPOILER WARNING ***
    (highlight the following text)

Tony Stark mistook him for Hugh Hefner.

*** END OF SPOILER ***

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Stark called him "Hef".

Just got back. Quite a movie. I liked it much more than the Hulk. Well done and we can sympathize with the protagonist.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Well, I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is reading this thread but hasn't seen the movie yet...

*** SPOILER WARNING ***
    (highlight the following text)

Tony Stark mistook him for Hugh Hefner.

*** END OF SPOILER ***
    Whoops. I thought it was the actual person that Tony said hello to.

He was meant to look that way. I would have thought so too had I not read the spoiler. Thanks.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

He was wearing real clothes; Hef never wears anything but pajamas.

I was talking it over with a friend yesterday, and I realized that essentially everything that bothered me about it was something little. Mostly, I loved it. However, there were all sorts of little things that got me when they first appeared that I don't remember now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I liked Stan Lee's appearance in 'The Simpsons'

*grunts*
    *groans*
    "Come on, dang it, change!"

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post
    Essentialy? Last I checked, it was only fantasy
    to quote the Comic Book Guy on the recent episode of The Simpsons where a cool new comic book store opens across the street, and Bart points out to him that nothing in the comic books is real..
    "Get. Out. Of. My. Store."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Smith View Post
    Check www.imdb.com for Downey's appearance in the Hulk flick. Marvel is making a push to "unify" it franchises. Which, as a long-time comics fan, I think is really cool.
    I've always thought crossovers were good for the movies. DareDevil and Spider-Man travelled similar circles, and fought many of the same villians -- like Kingpin, for example.

And why not let Wolverine star alongside Spidey or DD?

Wolverine and Spidy? Wolverine wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
    Wolverine and Spidy? Wolverine wins hands down.
    And, not versus. There's actually several very funny comics involving both.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The one thing that bugged me about Iron Man was that if I had developed a generator that could fit in the palm of my hand and had enough power to drive a jet engine, I wouldn't use it to build a big suit. I would use it to, you know, solve the world energy crisis or something. And if I was an evil weapons designer who wanted to make a buck, I wouldn't use that generator to build a big suit; I would use it to build a big bomb.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I wouldn't use it to build a big suit. I would use it to, you know, solve the world energy crisis or something.
    I'm pretty sure Tony Stark suggested doing that after announcing that Stark Industries would stop making weapons, but Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) thought there would be no profit in that.

One thing I would have done differently is not use the power source that was keeping me alive to also power the suit. I would have a separate power source for the suit so that the suit could fail without killing me. But what do I know?

Real Life actually put the only proper nitpick about the movie into comic format:

http://reallifecomics.com/archive/080508.html

Personally? Loved every minute of it. I'm even forgiving that he landed in a crater made by his old suit and could crawl out of it with nary a scratch. The scene and visual was just that awesome I don't care.
    Yay for comicbook science!

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The one thing that bugged me about Iron Man was that if I had developed a generator that could fit in the palm of my hand and had enough power to drive a jet engine, I wouldn't use it to build a big suit. I would use it to, you know, solve the world energy crisis or something. And if I was an evil weapons designer who wanted to make a buck, I wouldn't use that generator to build a big suit; I would use it to build a big bomb.
    Considering that the little arc reactor would make every power source on the planet obsolete, I would think that even the evil gun runner would simply sell those at a hefty profit to replace the power sources in cars, boats, planes, pacemakers, power generators, portable computers, PDAs, cell phones,.....

All he would have to do is wait a couple years, and he could buy the whole freakin planet.

One thing I would have done differently is not use the power source that was keeping me alive to also power the suit. I would have a separate power source for the suit so that the suit could fail without killing me. But what do I know?
    that's a great idea until someone else finds a suit already powered up and ready to go.

I thought the suit was severely missing backup safety anyway. But then, he's just that brilliant, he designs everything not to fail (yeah right).
    How about a parachute (on the other hand, if the suit can make him survive as much delta-v it can survive an impact as well)? Or at least a little backup powersource to keep his heart beating.

I thought the suit was severely missing backup safety anyway. But then, he's just that brilliant, he designs everything not to fail.
    We need him in the space program, then!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Smile

I saw it today. I loved every second of it.

I found the combination of alcohol plus high energy devices and explosive things with no testing to be absolutely realistic.

"Let see if I can shoot an arrow out of the air with my shotgun... right after we finish the keg."

Just got in from seeing it. Nicely executed, looking forward to the sequel. Downey was a very inspired choice. Nice to see him back on top (again). Let's see if we can't glue him there for a while.

Now for Titanium Man the Crimson Dynamo or Dark Aegis.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Let's see if we can't glue him there for a while.

Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by i only ponder View Post
    when i saw the trailer, i considered actually going to see it.. until the shot of him flying.. that really put me off.
    When I saw the original tailer, the part at the end of it when he's flying alongside some jets, then he takes off and you hear the sonic boom - that was the best.
    If Ironman didn't fly, the movie might as well be called the Tin Man...