Thread: An abstract question...

An abstract question...

Hi, I'm 17 years of age, and in a situation where I have no job, I'm in a struggling band of four more struggling kids, I don't attend college or any educational establishment, and can't put more than two seven lettered words into one coherent sentence

I was wondering:

Where, and how, and what...
    Would I be able to go/learn about the maths and science behind astronomy, space, the physics that I get baffled by every time I read a thread about Black holes?

I'm not a stupid kid, I came on here for a reason. Though saying that, I'm not too bright either.
    Contradiction
    Though I'm really, really interested in Human Life, and Space/Astronomy/Quantum Physics? Haha, enough that I'd like to study the subjects more, so I can hopefully join in half of these threads, with a mature answer, and not a quote from a Sci-Fi Television Series...

Which I've never done...

-Cough, though if anyone here can point me in the right direction, I'd be very much obliged, or if you just want to ask me some questions, you know?

Try to keep this thread alive with suggestions

Thanks, Nick

Kind of a simple answer, but read up about it.

Before you invest cash, try reading online. Believe it or not, Wikipedia is a great resource. If you find something that catches your eye (Say, subatomic particles), you can go and read up on it. If you don't understand something, you can just click the link to that particular item (say, a muon is mentioned and you have no idea what that is) and learn about it.

If it is web based resources you are looking for, you might want to look at these for starters:

Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial

How to become a good theoretical physicist

Thank you both, I'm raking in all advice, blunt or directed

Hey Nick, I'm learning this stuff too. These really helped me:

and

These two websites will teach you all the basics, and they're from real universities (and not too hard).

Then try this book, it will blow you away - my local library stocks it and your's probably does too - free is good, right!

The fabric of the cosmos : space, time, and the texture of reality / Brian Greene.
    ISBN
    "A foremost string theorist discusses such topics as Newton's perspectives on space, Einstein's fusion of space and time, and recent breakthroughs on multidimensional universe theory."
    ...and this website, play the video (all three hours are available free, on the site), I'm sure you'll love it:

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by N!ck View Post
    Where, and how, and what...
    Would I be able to go/learn about the maths and science behind astronomy, space, the physics that I get baffled by every time I read a thread about Black holes?
    Hi, Nick. You can head to the library. Try using an old-fashioned set of encyclopedias. It won't teach you the math, but they're good at explaning the concepts (helping in order to better understand the math).

Or you can use Wikipedia, which does contain some math. Unfortunately, it won't teach you the math, either. It just displays some math.

Back at the library... I'm sure any good library has a fairly recent copy of Swokowsk's Calculus. It's a fairly standard text used by most universities to teach, and I saw some used texts on Amazon for under a buck.

If you study hard, that'll take you through the next year.

Some of the astrophysicists should be able to recommend texts to follow which are specifically aimed at space math.