Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1619

Thread: Film Buffery

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I think Hitchcock might have wanted to have Grace Kelly for the part, but she had become otherwise occupied so he needed to find a new blonde.
    True, but she was also (by then) a bit too old for the role. Unless the role was rewritten for her.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    She wanted to appear in Hitchcock's Marnie, apparently, but Prince Rainier vetoed it. He vetoed every movie offer she received and banned her films in Monaco entirely. Let us say it was not exactly a love-match.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    IMO, "Apollo 13" was probably the best space movie ever made.
    Just noticed this.

    Really? Why? Because it was true to life or some other reason(s)? Not critical, just curious.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,031
    For one thing, Ron Howard used actual weightlessness to show weightlessness. Those weightless scenes were filmed in the Vomet Comet*. Second, while the movie did contain some errors, it's probably the most accurate representation of space flight ever presented in a non-documentary film. In all, it was an excellent movie. That's just my opinion, of course.

    *Think of the challenges this presented. The weightlessness only lasts for about 45 seconds, so the actors had to very quickly hit their marks and do the required actions and say their lines before they were hit with a roughly 2G pullout. It took dozens of arcs (I've heard it was over 100) to shoot all of the scenes. That alone is a pretty remarkable piece of film work, IMO.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Jacks View Post
    For one thing, Ron Howard used actual weightlessness to show weightlessness. Those weightless scenes were filmed in the Vomet Comet*. Second, while the movie did contain some errors, it's probably the most accurate representation of space flight ever presented in a non-documentary film. In all, it was an excellent movie. That's just my opinion, of course.

    *Think of the challenges this presented. The weightlessness only lasts for about 45 seconds, so the actors had to very quickly hit their marks and do the required actions and say their lines before they were hit with a roughly 2G pullout. It took dozens of arcs (I've heard it was over 100) to shoot all of the scenes. That alone is a pretty remarkable piece of film work, IMO.
    It is a very good movie, for the reasons you mention and for some good acting, IMO.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    It is a very good movie, for the reasons you mention and for some good acting, IMO.
    Oh, yes. There are some films where it becomes pretty obvious that the acting is irrelevant to the director, that Telling a Great Story is the goal, and how it's told is not the point. (See pretty much any version of Beowulf.) However, Ron Howard recognized that it's also important to Interest Your Audience!

    I'm currently watching the original 3:10 to Yuma; my review today will be a comparison of the two. Yesterday's was The Desperate Hours, Humphrey Bogart's penultimate film and the last one in which he played a gangster.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,256
    Apollo 13 rocks. I still get wet-eyed at the end.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    12,235
    Me too, Kai.

    SPOILER WARNING! NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.









    I loved it over-all but am I the only one who thought the movie unraveled at the end right about where Llewelyn Moss checked into that last motel and after he finshes making small talk with that woman by the pool? My brother bought it and I've watched it three times now, the last time with sub-titles.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Okay--it is my considered film buff's opinion that the original 3:10 to Yuma is vastly preferable to the remake. On occasion, I decide about halfway in what rating I'm going to give the movie; only seldom, in those cases, do I revise that. In the case of the '07 Yuma, I did indeed revise it. Downward. I really, really disliked the last five minutes, especially compared to the last five minutes of the original.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've been derailing threads all over the board. I'm sorry. So let's make one thread where we can discuss all nature of film.

    I will say that I'm aware everyone has their own opinions. I think the advantage of having a film journal is that I can explain why I like or dislike things in great detail. However, the main reason negative reviews are so rare in my journal is that I feel no shame in turning the things off. There are days where I go through four movies but only write one review, because I simply can't take whatever-it-is. Generally, if I watch a movie I hate all the way through, it's because either I'm seeing it in the theatre or there's a real reason to watch it, such as my annual Oscarpalooza watching. (Lord, I hated Transformers and Surf's Up.)

    I consider myself to be designing my own private film school. After all, I've got the time.
    Well, I think it's time you find a news column to write for, at the very least. With your literary skills, at least you'd get paid! (Yes, Gillianren, you're worth it - don't sell yourself short. Put the feelers out).

    If a movie just stinks from the get-go, there's no reason to continue watching it. I recall several published TV reviews where either one or both of the reviewers quit about 10 minutes into the film. They simply said so. Sometimes they agreed. Sometimes they did not. The point is that there is no reason to continue watching any film which either offends our sensibilities or is just pure bunk. I've left the cinema twice, and both times was refunded the price of my ticket (and I'm no movie reviewer). Nothing wrong with that!

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Okay--it is my considered film buff's opinion that the original 3:10 to Yuma is vastly preferable to the remake. On occasion, I decide about halfway in what rating I'm going to give the movie; only seldom, in those cases, do I revise that. In the case of the '07 Yuma, I did indeed revise it. Downward. I really, really disliked the last five minutes, especially compared to the last five minutes of the original.
    I liked the remake, but didn't consider it to be anything special. I'll have to add the original my queue, based on what you say here.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    Well, I think it's time you find a news column to write for, at the very least. With your literary skills, at least you'd get paid! (Yes, Gillianren, you're worth it - don't sell yourself short. Put the feelers out).
    Film writing is one of the hardest fields to break into, especially if you haven't been to an actual film school, which I haven't. I'm working on independent film scholarship, but the only film class I've ever taken was called "The History of the Twentieth Century Through Film," which is not at all the same.

    I am, however, considering writing a book when I finish my library viewing project. I've mentioned this before, but I'm working my way through our public library system's DVD catalog in alpabetical order. This is, as you can well imagine, a lengthy process. One of the movies I'm planning to watch today is The Detective Story, however, so I'm plugging right along with it. If I do write the book, and if it gets published, I stand a shot in the dark at getting a job doing this.

    Also, the local paper wouldn't hire me because I attended the college I did and wrote for the school paper. They told one of my coworkers from the paper that--and made it perfectly clear to one of my friends who'd left the paper before I got to it.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    What have they got against your old school? And why would they let that issue be a deal-breaker even if the individual was otherwise outstanding?

    Seems pretty irrational on the face of it. Some sort of personal grudge in play?

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    Well I once got paid for a film review. I reviewed Escape From L.A. (which had just come out on VHS) for SFX magazine and earned £25 or £30 for it.

    I remember little about the film or the review. I'm pretty sure I made a comment about it being more of a remake than a sequel (to Escape fro New York), and probably made a remark to the effect that it felt even more dated than the original.

    Some things really are best forgotten.

    Incidentally, I ordered the beautiful Solaris from Amazon the other day. It was going for £7.97, whereas the remake was going for £3.97. In yer face, Clooney travesty!

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    What have they got against your old school? And why would they let that issue be a deal-breaker even if the individual was otherwise outstanding?

    Seems pretty irrational on the face of it. Some sort of personal grudge in play?
    The quality of our school paper does tend to go in cycles, as with any other school paper, it's true. I happen to have been there during one of the really, really good years, however, and certainly an individual's skill is more important. However, my alma mater, The Evergreen State College, has a bit of a reputation, and our local newspaper not only believes it but encourages others to believe it as well. To hear them, every time anything goes wrong in the whole of Olympia, Lacey, and Tumwater (three smallish cities with essentially overlapping boundaries), it's probably our fault.

    Why? Your guess is as good as mine. It's true that our school tends to lean pretty heavily to the Left and the paper very, very slightly to the Right, but since if they were seriously that far off from Evergreen politically, they wouldn't sell many papers in town, that's probably not it. (Olympia's a very liberal city.)

    I'm better than a lot of their writers. I'm certainly better than whoever they had as copy editor when I was in college. ("Pouring" over a map? I ask you!) Corey, my friend from the paper, was a fine, fine reporter and a pretty good writer as well. But it didn't matter, because we'd all worked on The Cooper Point Journal.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mugaliens View Post
    The point is that there is no reason to continue watching any film which either offends our sensibilities or is just pure bunk.
    It depends on whether you're doing it as entertainment or a hobby, or for your job. If reviewing the shows is your job, then not watching the entire presentation is refusing to meet your obligations.

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,643

    Re: Film Buffery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Okay--it is my considered film buff's opinion that the original 3:10 to Yuma is vastly preferable to the remake...
    On the other hand, I'm sure the remake is better than Night Train to Mundo Fine!

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ("Pouring" over a map? I ask you!)
    Funny you should mention that. Just today I was reading an article in a technical journal with a subsection titled "Pouring over Matrices". I did the eyeroll thing.

    Turned out it was all right -- it was a pun, referring to a mnemonic used in matrix multiplication.

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Funny you should mention that. Just today I was reading an article in a technical journal with a subsection titled "Pouring over Matrices". I did the eyeroll thing.

    Turned out it was all right -- it was a pun, referring to a mnemonic used in matrix multiplication.
    Yeah, The Olympian just needs a new copy editor.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,643

    Re: Film Buffery

    Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, The Olympian just needs a new copy editor.
    Agreed. That's pretty por English, poor favor.

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    It depends on whether you're doing it as entertainment or a hobby, or for your job. If reviewing the shows is your job, then not watching the entire presentation is refusing to meet your obligations.
    Neither Roger Ebert nor Richard Roeper walk out of films, no matter how bad. Roger Ebert, notably, watched all of Deuce Bigalow, European Gigolo, the film which gave a title to a collection of his negative reviews, Your Movie Sucks.

    Further . . . I think it depends on how you define "offends our sensibilities." There's a certain importance to testing what your sensibilities are. There were parts of Crash that did, indeed, offend my sensibilities. (Board rules forbid description.) However, I thought it was a brilliant film because it did. (This is the recent one, not the old one with car crashes, which the library mysteriously did not have.) In short, if it's done well, keep watching anyway.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,174
    I've never left a movie theater early because the film was bad.
    .
    .
    Small shift in topic.
    .
    .
    I know there's a thread on I Am Legend (maybe two), but I like this thread better. I watched the movie last weekend and saw the theatrical release ending, I guess. Netflix didn't provide an alternate ending on the dvd. The consensus is that the alternate was better, or do I have that backwards?
    Last edited by geonuc; 2008-Apr-19 at 11:40 AM. Reason: left out a word in last sentence (I)

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Has anyone else seen Les Diaboliques? All these people on IMDB claim it's better than Psycho; I think those people are wrong. Anyone else?
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    7,732
    I've only walked out of one movie in my life and that was because my wife refused to watch a movie that started with a rape scene.

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    11,057
    I'll bite, Kaptain K. Which film was that?

    I know it happened in several Catherine Cookson films.

  26. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,275
    Hmmm... I'll guess The Accused.

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    7,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    I'll bite, Kaptain K. Which film was that?

    I know it happened in several Catherine Cookson films.
    No Blade of Grass

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    I know there's a thread on I Am Legend (maybe two), but I like this thread better. I watched the movie last weekend and saw the theatrical release ending, I guess. Netflix didn't provide an alternate ending on the dvd. The consensus is that the alternate was better, or do have that backwards?
    The consensus is that the alternate ending is much closer to capturing the essence of the book, the realization that it's the unique killer who is the legendary monster rather than the dominant majority.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  29. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,174
    Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    The consensus is that the alternate ending is much closer to capturing the essence of the book, the realization that it's the unique killer who is the legendary monster rather than the dominant majority.
    Thanks! That's intriguing.

  30. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    30,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    Hmmm... I'll guess The Accused.
    As I recall, we don't get to the rape scenes in that one until later. It starts with an already-raped Jodie Foster staggering down a road in search of help.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Similar Threads

  1. An old silent film on astronomy and a nice immunization film
    By vampirehunter42 in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2010-Mar-14, 11:32 PM
  2. Which is THE best sci-fi film?
    By Buttercup in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 2009-Oct-11, 08:12 AM
  3. Can anybody tell me what film this is?
    By timba1988 in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-Jul-23, 06:21 PM
  4. Slide Film vs. Regular Print Film
    By Gob332 in forum Astrophotography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2007-May-19, 07:11 AM
  5. Bad film
    By kucharek in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2003-Sep-29, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •