Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1619

Thread: Film Buffery

I think I remember that scene, simple pan&scan would remove them both, making it a scene showing an empty table with two people making eating noises and small talk.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Yeah, we played that one in my film class in college. But Kane isn't in widescreen; it's in so-called Academy format. 1.37:1 ratio.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

1.37:1 is still wide enough compared to 4:3 that pan&scan will mangle that scene.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

Not even close. It's a loss of just 3% of the image area—less than occurs with a 70mm to anamorphic 35mm transfer, and less than is lost with an analog TV's overscan.

Here's an image comparing the Academy frame (red) to the 4:3 format, showing just how similar they are:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aspect_ratio.png 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	14748  

Just about every studio movie made between 1932 and 1952 was Academy Format. This includes not only Citizen Kane, but The Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Gone With the Wind, and others.

None of them have ever been released on home video in anything other than 4:3 aspect ratio.

Citizen Kane broke a lot of ground cinematography-wise, but widescreen wasn't part of it.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

We watched The King's Speech on Friday. I didn't think I'd like it, but I thought it was really rather good. A little long, and not very exciting. But Good.

That's pretty much Graham's reaction. He was actually kind of excited at the prospect of seeing it, and I have no idea why. Not that I hadn't been looking forward to it, but I wasn't at all sure why he would be.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I haven't seen The Green Hornet, but I've seen the TV ads.

If somebody asks me, "Want to see something cool?", should I
    say "Yes" or "No"? Assume that I like my body parts connected
    together pretty much as they are currently.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Depends on the person. With a lot of my friends, you may then be shown an interesting craft project.

"You can't erase icing."

Has anyone seen The Magdalene Sisters? Isn't the poster ridiculously inappropriate?

"You can't erase icing."

I dunno. The US and British posters are different I think. But yes I have seen it. And wow was it intense.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Here's the American one.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm13737216/tt0318411

When I first got the movie from the library, the disc was cracked halfway through. It was their only copy, so they told me that they couldn't guarantee they'd replace it. Given budgets. However, they did buy a new copy, possibly because, by the time I got it, there were ten people on the hold list. And I'm very glad they did. I wouldn't quite say I liked it or enjoyed it, but yeah, "intense" is the word. Not helped by the "based on a true story" aspect.

"You can't erase icing."

Hmm. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate. I think the idea of the poster is to show that Christina's flirtatious and sexual nature was innocent, and that she didn't deserve to be sent to a labour camp for it.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Yes, but to me, that image suggests a wacky romantic comedy of some sort. That's Bernadette, not Crispina, who was the one who was clearly not all there. Bernadette certainly didn't deserve to be sent to a labour camp, but nothing about that poster says "labour camp" to me. It says "wacky hijinks."

"You can't erase icing."

I saw Jane Eyre at the Olympia Film Society last night and loved it. Apparently, my review made Graham want to see it, which takes some doing, given the plot. Still, it's the best adaptation I've ever seen of that book. And we'll be going to OFS to see Cave of Forgotten Dreams this week, as I knew I was going to end up doing. 2D is better than nothing, though you can tell from the trailer how incredible the paintings would look in 3D.

"You can't erase icing."

I will probably see the movie at some point. Not only have I read the book several times, I have written school essays on it several times, and gone into weeks of intense in-class discussion on it several times. Therefore I am somewhat burned out on the subject. I think once I get regular infusions of cash due to gainful employment, and can thus afford VOD, then I will watch it.

Stephen Colbert.

I can see that. The only advantage I'd say watching this one on the big screen has is the scenery from when Jane is wandering the moors.

"You can't erase icing."

I have also now just watched the thirty-seven minute reconstruction of the beginning of Something's Got to Give, Marilyn Monroe's final film. It just gets me--she was afraid that she was old. She was two years older than I am now, and I would kill to be in the kind of shape that she was. And you see pretty much all of it, too. It wouldn't have been a great movie even if it had been finished, but it would have been as good a movie as one starring Dean Martin could have been. My understanding is that it became a decent enough movie a few years later, when it starred Doris Day and James Garner.

"You can't erase icing."

What strikes me when looking at pictures from that movie is that my immediate reaction is that she's finally starting to look good. It's the first pictures I've seen (I'm not much of a Marilyn buff) where her face has character rather than fairly bland prettiness.

I'm not a huge fan of hers, either, honestly. There are movies she was in that I like, but I seldom liked her in them. I hear she was really hard to work with, too. I think possibly she was growing up. I don't much like her, but the more I learn about her, the more pity I have for her.

"You can't erase icing."

Has anyone seen Frank and Ollie?

"You can't erase icing."

Does "film buffery" means cinephile? Look forward to your reply, thanks!

Not quite. "Cinephile" is a word I don't much care for, but more to the point is that it implies getting further into the technical details. All a film buff has to do is watch a lot of movies and know about a lot more. A cinephile is a person who can compare the works of Ingmar Bergman with the works of Robert Wise, who can speak at length about the differences between the French New Wave and Italian Neorealism. Now, as it happens, I can. But I don't expect other people to--or to care.

By the way, watched The Inspector General yesterday. Does anyone else find it odd that it's a Danny Kaye movie based on a piece of Russian satire from the 1830s?

And welcome to the board, LemonE!

"You can't erase icing."

Odd how?

Funny movie, btw. I like Danny Kaye... very talented on many fronts. I still remember him telling a French language pun on US TV.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'll admit that most of the Russian literature I've read, or tried to, is of the more ponderous sort. Danny Kaye would have made a most unusual Raskolnikov, for example. (Though that, I probably would have finished.) It just doesn't feel like the two would go together. Mind, they did; I like The Court Jester better but did quite like this one. It's just surprising.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Odd how?

Funny movie, btw. I like Danny Kaye... very talented on many fronts. I still remember him telling a French language pun on US TV.
    Victor Borge did that too... "Un deux trois cats sank".

So did B Kliban.

Today's poll over on IMDB is "what is your favourite John Cazale role?" (Currently in second place is "Who's John Cazale?") Interestingly, they have Fredo in The Godfather as separate from Fredo in The Godfather: Part II. His career fascinates me. He was in five movies, and any list of the best movies of the '70s will have at least two and usually all five. He was dying when he made The Deer Hunter, and everyone knew it. They almost didn't give him the part, and it took his various costars' in some cases threatening to walk off the picture themselves. All five of his roles seem to be "the person who is trying to be the voice of reason in an insane place." And we see what happened to Fredo because of it.

But I chose Dog Day Afternoon.

"You can't erase icing."

I watched The Prisoner last night - a 1956 film starring Alec Guinness and Jack Hawkins in which the local cardinal is arrested and interrogated in an effort to get him to confess and thus discredit the church. Interesting politics going on, but I really didn't understand all of what went on near the end, which left me unsatisfied.

I caught "No Country for Old Men" on tv Saturday. I thought it stayed pretty close to the book, though you of course lose a lot of the inner dialogue. It wasn't the worst film adaptation I've seen, regardless.