Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1619

Thread: Film Buffery

Okay, so, if I'm understanding everything correctly...

Presuming that they shot "The Hobbit" digitally, is there any technological reason that would've prevented them from shooting at 48FPS with the equivalent of a 360-degree shutter angle, and am I correct that that would produce essentially the same motion blur as "normal" 24FPS film with a 180-degree shutter angle?

I can't help wondering if the actual visible difference isn't (at least partially) due to something else. I ask this because I notice a distinctive "videotape look" to movies when I watch them on my new 240Hz television, and don't think it's adding frames to or removing motion blur from "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

EDIT: Ha! I just read Lotus' latest link, and he says, "modern televisions often have a feature that attempts to simulate HFR by adding artificial (interpolated) frames in between each actual frame," so maybe my TV is doing that.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Your TV is *interpolating* extra frames. You can shut off the conversion. Its primarily for sports shows anyway.
    The short answer to your question is no. There isn't any reason they couldn't have shot it a 48/360. They shot it at 48/270 from what I've been able to gather which is like shooting on a 135 degree shutter. What RED and other people mostly talk about with HFR is "temporal" resolution... but the lack of blur is what makes it look so artificial when it doesn't adhere to the 180 rule. At 48 fps and 270 we're talking about something that will look slightly less blurry than one of the those soap opera cameras. So - very artificial.

**edit**
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation
    Last edited by LotusExcelle; 2013-Jan-03 at 08:58 PM. Reason: link. I keep doing this. sorry.

Okay, the Oscar nominations are out. Has anyone seen Django Unchained? Given my dislike of Tarantino in general and my hesitance at how well he could handle this material in particular, does anyone think I should spend theatre prices to try to see it before the ceremony?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Okay, the Oscar nominations are out. Has anyone seen Django Unchained? Given my dislike of Tarantino in general and my hesitance at how well he could handle this material in particular, does anyone think I should spend theatre prices to try to see it before the ceremony?
    I do, particularly because you dislike Tarantino. But I haven't seen it yet. I want to see the Bigelow movie next.

My predictions:

Best picture: Life of Pi or Lincoln. Lincoln wins on points

Best Director: Stephen Spielberg. Ang Lee won't get one so soon after Brokeback; Michael Heneke hates Hollywood; Russell and Zeitlin haven't paid their dues yet

Best Actor: Day-Lewis. Yes it would be redundant, and fairly pointless, to give this guy an Oscar again but Bradley has too many Hangovers on his record, Jackman will always be Wolverine, Phoenix got an Oscar and went nuts, and Denzel has two already (and no one saw Flight).

Best Actress: Tough call. Jennifer Lawrence will win an Oscar sooner or later, and Wallis is too young, but other than that can't say. It will depend on who has the buzz, and I'm cut off from buzz at the moment. My instincts are suggesting Chastain or Riva, but which has the momentum?

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin is the only one who hasn't won one already.

Supporting Actress: Hathaway or Adams. Not sure which.

Original Screenplay: Heneke will probably win this one

Adapted Screenplay; another tough call. Any one could win, except Silver Linings.

Animated feature: Pixar are in Purgatory; ParaNorman has too much gay, so Wreck it Ralph will win

Foreign film: Amour is pretty obvious

Cinematography: Life of Pi or Lincoln. Pi probably will win

Editing: Best Picture usually gets this, so Lincoln

Production design: Period pics usually get this, so Le Miz or Anna; Anna has the cool "it's all a stage" conceit, but Miz has more momentum

Costume design: again, le miz or anna.

Makeup: Hitchcock. Middle Earth has had this award too often

Score: Williams is over; if they wouldn't give Newman the nod for American Beauty, they won't for Skyfall. I think Life of Pi will win

Song: Le Miz probably has this one locked, though it would be nice to see Adele win

Sound mixing/editing: Skyfall will probably win these

Visual effects: lots of filler noms here: Life of Pi will probably win
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    Best picture: Life of Pi or Lincoln. Lincoln wins on points
    Lincoln looks slated to win all the awards that are considered predictors, so my money is on Lincoln.

Best Director: Stephen Spielberg. Ang Lee won't get one so soon after Brokeback; Michael Heneke hates Hollywood; Russell and Zeitlin haven't paid their dues yet
    It's really surprising that Spielberg is the frontrunner. The Academy doesn't like him. It's one of the two reasons Tintin wasn't nominated for Animated Feature last year. However, he still is the frontrunner for all that.

Best Actor: Day-Lewis. Yes it would be redundant, and fairly pointless, to give this guy an Oscar again but Bradley has too many Hangovers on his record, Jackman will always be Wolverine, Phoenix got an Oscar and went nuts, and Denzel has two already (and no one saw Flight).
    And the only people living with three for acting are Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. Phoenix didn't ever win; he lost to first Benicio Del Toro for Traffic and then Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. Day-Lewis actually has a better chance just because the Academy hasn't much liked musicals in years.

Best Actress: Tough call. Jennifer Lawrence will win an Oscar sooner or later, and Wallis is too young, but other than that can't say. It will depend on who has the buzz, and I'm cut off from buzz at the moment. My instincts are suggesting Chastain or Riva, but which has the momentum?
    I haven't seen any of these movies yet, and I haven't heard much buzz in this category.

Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin is the only one who hasn't won one already.
    2006, Best Supporting, Little Miss Sunshine. I hear Tommy Lee Jones isn't even the best supporting performance in Lincoln, and I hear great things about The Master. This may be how they make up for not giving it the Best Picture nomination.

Supporting Actress: Hathaway or Adams. Not sure which.
    Hathaway's the favourite, but Sally Field is a strong second, from what I hear.

Original Screenplay: Heneke will probably win this one
    I suspect this one may go to Tarantino, actually; they like giving him awards for writing. On the other hand, the film is pretty controversial. I haven't seen any of them, honestly, and I just don't like Wes Anderson.

Adapted Screenplay; another tough call. Any one could win, except Silver Linings.
    I lean toward Kushner; Spielberg chose some real powerhouses for that movie, and he's no exception.

Animated feature: Pixar are in Purgatory; ParaNorman has too much gay, so Wreck it Ralph will win
    This is the one category where I've actually seen all of them. The actual best of them is Brave. Pixar's Purgatory was over Cars 2, which didn't even get nominated last year.

Foreign film: Amour is pretty obvious
    Which isn't ever a guarantee, of course, but when there is an obvious choice in this particular category, it usually wins.

Cinematography: Life of Pi or Lincoln. Pi probably will win
    This is one category where it probably will, yes.

Editing: Best Picture usually gets this, so Lincoln
    Kahn's won three times, all three for Spielberg films, but it's only acting where that's considered unusual.

Production design: Period pics usually get this, so Le Miz or Anna; Anna has the cool "it's all a stage" conceit, but Miz has more momentum
    This may be a continuation for Middle Earth, however. Whatever else there was to say about it, it was awfully pretty.

Costume design: again, le miz or anna.
    My personal rule tends to be that, if I could costume it out of my local fabric store--or, worse, Goodwill!--it doesn't deserve the win. I'll confess that, this year, I could probably do all of them. But Anna Karenina is probably the hardest--and the flashiest.

Makeup: Hitchcock. Middle Earth has had this award too often
    Because it usually deserves it. However, last year, making Meryl Streep make sort of like Margaret Thatcher beat out Deathly Hallows, so you may be right.

Score: Williams is over; if they wouldn't give Newman the nod for American Beauty, they won't for Skyfall. I think Life of Pi will win
    It's true Williams hasn't won since '93, but that was another historical biopic directed by Spielberg, and the Academy is nothing if not nostalgic.

Song: Le Miz probably has this one locked, though it would be nice to see Adele win
    That's the conventional wisdom, but I'll tell you why it's wrong. It is, as everyone knows (or so I thought!), traditional in recent decades for films of musicals to add songs so as to get the "original song" nomination. However, what fewer people seem to realize is that it doesn't actually seem to work. The earliest movie I'm certain did this was Grease; anyway, it's the earliest one I'm certain of that got a nomination. It lost to "Last Dance" from Thank God It's Friday, a cheesy disco movie. The new song for Jesus Christ Superstar didn't even get nominated. A Chorus Line, Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago, The Phantom of the Opera, and Nine all lost; Dreamgirls lost three times (perversely, the winner that year was actually a documentary!). The only musical going back as far as Grease that actually won with its "written for the Oscars" song was Evita. However, I still haven't heard any of them, so I still don't have an opinion beyond figuring the odds.

Sound mixing/editing: Skyfall will probably win these
    In my heart, I believe that these should go to musicals. In practice, they go to loud movies. You're probably right.

Visual effects: lots of filler noms here: Life of Pi will probably win
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised by The Avengers or The Hobbit. Then again, I still haven't seen Life of Pi, and I'm given to understand that the shipwreck is spectacular.

Geonuc, are you saying that watching Django Unchained will be good for me? Or is it that you just don't like me and want me to suffer?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Geonuc, are you saying that watching Django Unchained will be good for me? Or is it that you just don't like me and want me to suffer?
    Well, I hope you don't consider the latter to be true. It's the former, in the sense that since you dislike Tarantino so much, yet are one of those people who possesses an open mind, it might be a good idea to see this movie that has received so much acclaim. You might like it. Or, it may solidify your opinion that, even at his best, Tarantino can't create work that you like.

Well, I did watch Inglorious Basterds when it was up for the Oscars. My impression was that the movie was about the wrong characters, but since the character I found most interesting was female, Quentin Tarantino wouldn't have been the right person to write her lines anyway.

"You can't erase icing."

One thing I really liked about Zero Dark Thirty was a very different kind of special forces action scene. While the usual fare is all about blowing stuff up and the ultra-professional training of the team members that allows them to move quickly and flawlessly, this movie showed it as it probably happened - slower and much more deliberate.

On second thought, skip it. While I found the plot and acting to be fairly high quality, Tarantino's obsession with gore is just over the top in this film. There's no need for it and it soured an otherwise enjoyable experience for me. I'm not particularly squeamish, but I dislike gratuitous blood and brain spatter.

I'd decided to at best see it on DVD a while ago. One of my friends pointed me toward discussion of some of the historical errors, and I would spend the whole movie fretting about them, I'm sure. I think it's interesting territory to explore, and I think Tarantino is the wrong person to do it.

On the other hand, I was deeply impressed by Lincoln. One of the reasons Spielberg does historical epics well is that he never forgets that historical figures are still just people. It wasn't only that Daniel Day-Lewis didn't try for the Booming Lincoln Voice that has been so popular over the years; the voice he uses in the movie is thin and slightly reedy, the way the real Lincoln's voice is said to have been. It's that it included the complicated relationships between Lincoln and his wife and Lincoln and his oldest son. The main plot is about how not even "the party of Lincoln" was really entirely on his side when it came to passing the Thirteenth Amendment through the House. The people who were voting no weren't even just doing it for racist reasons; they, too, were real people with real motivations. Though apparently, he changed some names so that families of people who really had voted no didn't come and yell at him!

"You can't erase icing."

The Changeling (1980) - I enjoyed it, been ages since I've seen the full movie. Tried recording it off late night tv a few years ago, but the listed times were off and I didn't get the full thing. Ordered the DVD awhile ago, finally got around to watching it. A haunted house thriller starring George C. Scott, Trish Van Devere and Melvyn Douglas. Barry Morse appears in a bit part for the seance scene. No gore, just some good, old-fashioned creepiness. I was so into the movie while watching it, I nearly jumped out of my chair when the phone rang. Filmed in upstate N.Y., Vancouver, B.C. area and Seattle-Tacoma area. Man (Scott) loses wife and child in a tragic accident, re-locates cross country, house he leases has a "dark history".

Last night, on one of the french language stations, I watched Trois Couleurs: Bleu (Three Colours: Blue), first in a trilogy - Blue, White, Red. I'm glad I recorded it while watching, as my comprehension is slow and I didn't have subtitles to work with. I did get the symbolism/themes, relating to the colours Blue, White, Red - Liberty, Equality, Fraternity. In the case of Blue, the liberty sought, on an emotional level as a woman (Julitte Binoche) comes to terms with losing her composer husband and her daughter in a car accident. She tries to isolate herself, but keeps finding ties to her past, finding out some secrets along the way. I'm hoping the station airs the other two movies. Following the movie they aired an interview with the director, Krzysztof Kieslowski, regarding the trilogy, which was interesting. This I was able to follow easier, as it had french subtitles. CBC aired the entire trilogy (english subtitles), a few years ago, on consecutive late nights. I had noticed it listed earlier that week, but totally forgot to set the machine to record them.

I've seen the Blue-White-Red trilogy (English subtitled, my French isn't anywhere near good enough to follow the dialog). They're all excellent. I liked Red best, but that may be just me.

The three films are all quite different, but share some common themes, and they're all tied together at the end. That might have been done badly, but Kieslowski pulls it off very well.

I haven't seen them yet; I think I need to wait for "T"; they're probably in the catalog under "Three Colours." But we'll see. If not, that's why I still have Netflix.

This afternoon, a friend and I went to see Les MisÚrables. I disliked the direction quite a lot (review title: "Now in Nostril-Vision!"), and I felt Russell Crowe came across as having been imported from another movie. Strangely, though, that ended up growing on me as the movie went on. The cameras-up-people's-noses thing? Not so much.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    I've seen the Blue-White-Red trilogy (English subtitled, my French isn't anywhere near good enough to follow the dialog). They're all excellent. I liked Red best, but that may be just me.

The three films are all quite different, but share some common themes, and they're all tied together at the end. That might have been done badly, but Kieslowski pulls it off very well.
    The french station will be airing Blanc next weekend and Rouge the following weekend, I'll check them out. From what I understand, much of Blanc is in Polish, so that should air with some French subtitles. As long as I don't forget to set the recording device, I should be good. I'll get two shots at each movie 9pm on Fridays and late night on Saturday.

Has anyone else seen Argo? I neither get why Ben Affleck is sweeping all those directorial awards nor why so many people are down on his acting in it. It's not that he's a bad director; it's that Lincoln was done better. Too much Steadicam, for one.

"You can't erase icing."

Wow. Affleck won the DGA? That was a torpedo in the night I can tell you. So, it looks like I may need to revise my Oscar predictions...
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Don't bother. It's literally not possible for him to win the Oscar; he wasn't nominated. One of the websites I read was fairly snarky on the subject yesterday when announcing his DGA win.

My best friend and I were discussing it last night, and we came up with a twofold reason for his wins. First is that certain people seem to be attempting to advance a narrative that certain young directors are stepping into various older directors' shoes, whether it's a valid narrative or not. Is Ben Affleck the, say, Robert Redford or Clint Eastwood of his generation--a decent actor who also directs great films? Possibly. However, after three movies, I'm not willing to jump on that particular bandwagon. I'm certainly not willing to label J. J. Abrams as our current Spielberg, especially not when we still have actual Spielberg hanging around, making great movies.

And yet, for all he does make great movies, the people who give out awards just don't seem to like him very much. The most notable example is the Academy, which makes it weird that he's nominated there and Affleck isn't. But you know, I remember the Great Spielberg Snub that was The Color Purple. (And I just watched Out of Africa not that long ago; it doesn't deserve the hype.) During his acceptance speech for Schindler's List, he said he'd never even held an Oscar before. Because presumably you can't just grab them off John Williams's shelf, even if he did win them--two of them, at least, pre-Schindler--for Spielberg's own movies. But his first win was sixteen years after his first nomination, and they were so sure that he'd never win that he'd already won the Thalberg. Heck, he still only has three himself--and one of those is as producer for Schindler's List. (He also won Best Director for Saving Private Ryan.) All of this is why I may be about the only person I know who isn't absolutely convinced he's going to win this year. Did he do the best directing job of the nominees I've seen thus far? Heck, yeah! But the Academy doesn't like him.

"You can't erase icing."

I finally got around to watching Prometheus last night (shows how current I am on movie culture.) It was like they decided to just throw in every sci-fi / action movie trope no matter how poorly the fit, then call it a day. Baffling. I'd just watched Alien, and Aliens over the last month and a half. Hadn't seen them since the mid 90's. Forgot how great they were. Prometheus . . . not so much.

. . . Then, as the credits rolled, Tara looked at me and said, "Hey, that was really good!" *sigh* We're never going to share taste in movies.

I still haven't seen it. It's up for Visual Effects or some such, so I probably should, but the only friend who owns it has it on Blu-Ray and regrets his purchase.

"You can't erase icing."

A couple of decades or so ago I watched a movie on TV with
    the rest of family. At the end, during the long final shot, I
    was thinking how strongly impressed I was. Ranking family
    member says, "Well, that was a waste of two hours."

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

The Disney film Swiss Family Robinson comes
    round every so often and makes good old
    familier moving wallpaper. And I enjoyed
    it in a real Cinema over 50 years ago. But
    I just realise something, the logs flattening
    the pirates at the end. They are foam rubber!
    You can see them bending! Could they not get
    decent stuntmen in those days? And what is
    really sneaky is the sound effects of real logs
    rolling down.

Then they use real logs for the tiger to climb
    out of the hole. Another sneaky trick!

Mind, they have that beast running after one of
    the pirates. How did they do that safely I wonder.

So you'd rather trust real logs, which are mindless, than real animals? You don't suspect trick photography in the latter case? (I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I won't express an exact opinion as to what was going on in the scene.) Yes, they had excellent stuntmen, but they didn't want to actually kill them.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Mind, they have that beast running after one of
    the pirates. How did they do that safely I wonder.
    Lots of replacement pirates. Or possibly a well trained beast.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

I don't see many movies. A couple of days ago a DVD of
    "District 9" happened to be available to me for long enough
    to watch it. What an experience! I can't express in words
    how impressive that was. Awfully violent, of course, but
    powerful. I didn't pause the play and I don't think I once
    looked away from the screen the whole time until the end
    credits were done. And there must have been thousands
    of people listed in the credits. There needed to be, to
    make that movie.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Iron Lady - I was looking forward to this one somewhat, but was disappointed in the end. Too much of the film dwelled on Thatcher's supposed hallucinations in her later years and not enough on her time in power. I suppose the filmmakers didn't want to make just another biographical film of a famous politician and they certainly succeeded in avoiding that.

That was similar to how I felt about Nixon, which I watched today. I've decided that I don't really want to watch Iron Lady, since I like neither Margaret Thatcher nor Meryl Streep. I'm also deeply irritated that it won an Oscar for makeup, of all things.

"You can't erase icing."

I've decided that I'm not particularly motivated to see films because they supposedly have significant commentary on the human condition, or on modern society. Seeing Elysium made me consider this. Apparently, some people anticipated this movie to be the next District 9, made by the same director. It falls short in that regard. However, I realized I didn't care whether it was another D9.

What I did care about was a lack of decent character development and an abysmal performance by Jodie Foster, who probably shouldn't even consider doing roles such as the one she took on here.

I haven't had much interest in Elysium. There are some movies that I hear a lot about without actually hearing anything like the plot, and that seems to have been one of them. Anything I've known about the plot has slipped out of my head, and it's left a vague impression of something science fictiony with a bald Matt Damon.

Yesterday, we went to Graham's brother's wedding, and I talked movies with their mother and another of his brothers. The other brother brought up The Omen, and I realized that I don't care even a little that the library appears not to have had it. Or else it did, and I looked at it and thought, "Nah."

"You can't erase icing."

Yesterday, we went to Graham's brother's wedding, and I talked movies with their mother and another of his brothers. The other brother brought up The Omen, and I realized that I don't care even a little that the library appears not to have had it. Or else it did, and I looked at it and thought, "Nah."
    The original or the remake? I've never seen the remake, but the original is a very good movie. Well directed, well acted, and very creepy. I recommend it.